Cyhra - Jesper and Peter's new band

Well, he's pretty much a Power Metal vocalist so he's gotta have a bit of gay in there :D

Holding your breath is a good example. He's too high. :)

But damn, that's a nice vocal melody in chorus, and that fine guitar melody-solo after... Just sweet. That's the way vocal and guitar melodies should coexist and work together.

No, it wasn't. THough, for some reason, a friend of mine (musician) says that there's something weird with the song structures in Battles. Something about counting something that I could not understand.

SC just sounds wrong... Like progressive gone bad. And half of the album has that weird moments where it seems like they glued parts of the song together without thinking about does it make sense.

Reactions: eochaid
I'm doing the second listening. Heartrage has a good heavy or power metal vibe. I like that song. Chorus is good and the guitar break (I won't call it a solo) is Jesper's 100%.

Good thing that the final mix is far better than that from Spotify.

No, it wasn't. THough, for some reason, a friend of mine (musician) says that there's something weird with the song structures in Battles. Something about counting something that I could not understand.

Going back to SC. The main problem is that they went without a plan and(or) ideas, and that, the same that happens with Battles, Bjorn is lazy. His riffs are those from someone who doesn't really seem to want to be there, as in a repetitive job. THe only one who is truly passionate about his job, in both albums, is Anders. And, to be honest, if the music was better, or good, I wouldn't care about Anders going pop, as long as I could enjoy some good riffs. But, when you listen to those songs without the vocals, the music says nothing. It's just a filler.

Completely agree. The music is SC especially sounds so forced and uninspired. Vocals aren't helping at all. Battles is more energetic but it's actually in a lot of ways even less inspired, it's really, really cookie-cutter. At least they did try a few different things in SC, even if most of it was a failure. Battles took no risks, and it has very little replay value. Both albums are showcasing a band in serious decline who have completely run out of ideas and integrity, imo.

In contrast, listening to something like Letters to Myself is a breath of fresh air. It's far from perfect but you can feel the honesty and passion throughout the album. Jake and Jesper especially want to prove something and you can hear that from both of them. It's not all good but I'll take something like this any day over what In Flames are doing. The last album they really seemed to put effort into was SOAPF, and it shows.

Last edited:
Damn, Inside a Lullaby really does have some cringey lyrics :D

So this is why I cry when I'm asleep
I am fragile, I feel weak
Without you I feel hollow
I'm alive, I dream with open eyes
When darkness turns to white
The moment when your life's
Inside a lullaby

Last four sentences are fine but those first three... gotta be honest, I'd be ripping Anders if he wrote that :D however, because Jake can actually sing and doesn't sound whiny, it's still passable when listening. Alternatively, when I hear Pleaasseee, please heal meee, I can't sleeep... ... I just facepalm.

The intro to Muted Life, even with the electronics, I like it a lot.

There are some great intros on this album, and outros. Jesper really shines here. Much like in SC, a lot of the songs on here struggle between the transition from super melodic opening to subdued, quiet verse.

There are some great intros on this album, and outros. Jesper really shines here. Much like in SC, a lot of the songs on here struggle between the transition from super melodic opening to subdued, quiet verse.
I think that they wanted to keep it balanced, since there was a project of two.

SC just sounds wrong... Like progressive gone bad. And half of the album has that weird moments where it seems like they glued parts of the song together without thinking about does it make sense.

Agreed, a lot of SC just sounds uncomfortable. It's hard to describe but the music just doesn't sound natural to the ears. Chorus on the title track is a good example. I think there's a part on Rusted Nail that's really jarring as well. I assume they did it on purpose but it doesn't sound good at all. Even amateur bands don't stitch their music together like that.

I guess Jesper is used to write a heavy riff after intro melody, for growl/scream verse. But he has Jake who needs to sing softly. So we get that half acoustic-half electronic breaks before choruses kick in.

I think that they wanted to keep it balanced, since there was a project of two.

Possibly. I really do wish there had been more energetic Karma-like tracks to balance out Inside a Lullaby, Closure, Here To Save You, etc. Just feels like the balance of the album tipped a little too far in the soft direction at times.

Reactions: A88 and eochaid
I think there's a part on Rusted Nail that's really jarring as well..

Yeah, that's the prime example. Some really bad songwriting on that one. It was quite weird when I first heard the song as I was not used to IF being so amateurish.

Possibly. I really do wish there had been more energetic Karma-like tracks to balance out Inside a Lullaby, Closure, Here To Save You, etc. Just feels like the balance of the album tipped a little too far in the soft direction at times.
Specially towards the end of it, or that was my first impression.

It's a shame that this album will not get all the attention that it deserves. If this was about new IF album the forum would be full of people waiting for a leak.

Yeah, that's the prime example. Some really bad songwriting on that one. It was quite weird when I first heard the song as I was not used to IF being so amateurish.
The intro solo is really weird in that song. I don't know what they tried to do but it just doesn't sound good.

Well, we are guilty too.

No matter how shitty IF gets, we're here year after year...

The thing about LtM is that you don't have to be a metalhead to appreciate it. If you're a fan of melody then I don't know how you could not like stuff like Closure or Inside a Lullaby. I'd actually say it's more commercial than anything In Flames have put out, because Jake has an actual singing voice. No matter how commercial In Flames try to be, Anders just hasn't got a voice that will ever go mainstream. IF fanboys will convince themselves he's a good singer, but he isn't so the band will never get over with the mainstream crowd, even though they are desperately trying.

It's not like they could even blame Jesper leaving for those issues. He didn't write anything on SOAPF and that had none of the problems structurally that SC had, so WTF happened?

Reactions: A88 and eochaid