Cynic

coolsnow7 said:
In fact, this is great timing, because I was gonna ask if anyone could give some good jazz-metal recommendations. That is, besides Cynic, Atheist, Aghora, Pestilence, Death/Control Denied, Lunar Sphere, Spiral Architect, Zero Hour, Spastic Ink, Watchtower. Those are the ones I know (and I'm realizing I don't know very much in the genre at all, which upsets me). So, can anyone help me out yet?

Check out these two instrumental bands...

Continuo Renacer
Canvas Solaris

coolsnow7 said:
In fact, this is great timing, because I was gonna ask if anyone could give some good jazz-metal recommendations. That is, besides Cynic, Atheist, Aghora, Pestilence, Death/Control Denied, Lunar Sphere, Spiral Architect, Zero Hour, Spastic Ink, Watchtower. Those are the ones I know (and I'm realizing I don't know very much in the genre at all, which upsets me). So, can anyone help me out yet?

Alarum - www.alarum.com.au or www.myspace.com/alarummusic

Amazing musos.

Check out Caspar Brotzmanns "Koksofen" jazz guitarist with an amazing phrasing, really atmospheric songs, spoken words, quite neat ;)

not metal actually, but definitly not your typical jazz stuff.

as for Cynic, the bass solo in Textures is quite jazzy... but calling the band jazz metal is a failed metal hammer invention

its Tech/Death pure and simple folks.

actual Jazz Metal is pretty rare..and most everything that claims to be "jazz metal" isn't...just because they throw in a squeeling saxophone solo in a song and use some backbeats..doesn't mean its jazz.

in order to be categorized as jazz there has to be certain elements that Metal music inheratanly lacks such as a swing rhythm, syncopation, call and response sections, polyrhythms and most importantly improvisation.

i'm not sayin g metal shouldn't or can't have these....it can be whatever the musician wants it to be...but generally Metal music just doesn't add up the componenets to ever really be able to be called "Jazz MEtal" and most efforts fail miserably ima.

You know, all this talk of jazz and metal is kinda funny...I was thinking to myself recently of a concept that I haven't heard done before. All these metal bands who have brutal parts of songs that go into clean, melodic parts of songs...well, wouldn't it be cool to replace those clean melodic parts with actual jazz? I think it'd be pretty cool to hear some technical riffage with a dude growling over it then to go into some bebop, Oscar Pettiford style!

</noob>

I think that's actually the worst idea I've heard since that thread about what Opeth should do next. Can you possibly imagine that amounting to more than a gimmick?

As for Illidurit, go fuck yourself. You're a fucking idiot who hasn't once offered a good point for his NFU attempts.

As for NFU, the harmonies are pretty jazzy for bands like Cynic. Spiral Architect and Zero Hour? I agree. But I was throwing out names I've heard of and have heard so that no one throws them back at me.

As for The Drip, most music entitled "Jazz Metal" is shorthand for, as some other guy pointed out, "Jazz Influenced Metal." And your categorization is off - latin jazz usually uses a bossa nova or samba beat (which is not swing) and if I remember correctly Captain Beefheart didn't have any improv in his music. Polyrhythms? Point out the polyrhythms in Duke Ellington's music. Synchopation is evident in about every form of music, nice one though. Point is, though, while I agree, most music entitled "Jazz Metal" is not a successful fusion of all elements of each (probably impossible), that's not what I was suggesting.

As for Liquid Tension and Jon Snow, thanks!

lmao aren't you the shit taste nub who doesn't like Yes?

what the fuck kind of stupid notion is it to make a genre based on the influences of bands? that's directly contradictory to the definition of 'genre' you twit

so let's see, I think Nile had a drummer that was into jazz, so Nile is jazz metal now, Alex Skolnick has a jazz band so Testament is jazz metal too hmm YOU'RE RETARDED

First of all, nothing wrong with not liking Yes, unless you're a music nazi. If I found out what you did and didn't like, I bet I could find something far more ridiculous, especially as your reason for liking Yes as opposed to, say, Children of Bodom is probably "Children of Bodom is just terrible, Yes is GENIUS!" As far as I'm concerned (and as I've said before, but you didn't bother remembering that) there's nothing of interest. Unless, of course, you could pinpoint a song that is, or how it should be? Second of all... have you ever considered learning the english language? Or are you just incapable of making the distinction between musicians and music? I was not asking for recommendations of bands that successfully combined both jazz and metal (nor was I creating any sort of genre, idiot) I was asking for bands that brought out some elements of jazz in the music. And that's what jazz-influenced music is. And that's what jazz-influenced metal is. Oh, but I don't like Yes and I disagree with NFU sometimes, so I must be retarded. I guess the ability to create a coherent argument and comprehend another isn't one of the pre-requisites for competence then.

1. random children of bodom vs. yes comment = presumption, which if you were trying to make a competent argument, you would try to avoid

2. I was responding to your last post, not your original post in this thread, which makes your objections about 'what you were asking for' irrelevant. there's your error in cohesion

3. you said: "most music entitled "Jazz Metal" is shorthand for, as some other guy pointed out, "Jazz Influenced Metal.""

jazz metal is potentially a genre, but defining it based on its influences (which you did) is incorrect

4. the bands you listed in your original post don't have jazz elements, which is the main point of this all anyway

5. coptertastelmaoroflnoob

coolsnow7 said:
Yeah, I liked Mars Volta guy too. As for robot vocals, usually I find they're low enough in the mix that I just don't notice them. But then, I don't usually listen to Focus all at once in general...

Still, they're the only real band to have successfully done the jazz-metal thing - at least to my knowledge.

some really good bands in that genre :

frantic bleep
alarum
coprofago
ephel duath

coolsnow7 said:
First of all, nothing wrong with not liking Yes, unless you're a music nazi. If I found out what you did and didn't like, I bet I could find something far more ridiculous, especially as your reason for liking Yes as opposed to, say, Children of Bodom is probably "Children of Bodom is just terrible, Yes is GENIUS!" As far as I'm concerned (and as I've said before, but you didn't bother remembering that) there's nothing of interest. Unless, of course, you could pinpoint a song that is, or how it should be? Second of all... have you ever considered learning the english language? Or are you just incapable of making the distinction between musicians and music? I was not asking for recommendations of bands that successfully combined both jazz and metal (nor was I creating any sort of genre, idiot) I was asking for bands that brought out some elements of jazz in the music. And that's what jazz-influenced music is. And that's what jazz-influenced metal is. Oh, but I don't like Yes and I disagree with NFU sometimes, so I must be retarded. I guess the ability to create a coherent argument and comprehend another isn't one of the pre-requisites for competence then.

how do people keep mentioning me in their battles with illidurit??? did i miss a fucking memo or something?