Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

DB0lP7CXcAAlfHT.jpg

I'm not sure what @Einherjar86 would have to say in response to this...

I didn't watch it, and I probably won't...

I don't mean any offense, but I'm just not interested in how masculinity is being threatened in a modern world.

Yeah, a couple more posts like that and he might get banned ;)

:D Honestly though, it is more than a little ironic that the tweet accuses social media of contributing to groupthink. The logic here is that the tweeter is participating in groupthink practices, yes? It's forever amazing to me that people like Land see themselves as somehow circumventing these kinds of modern cultural phenomena (like groupthink) when they use the very same platforms that they accuse of producing those phenomena.

Wow, this is long. I want to read this, but I don't know when I'll be able to. Thanks for sharing.

Pat may not believe masculinity is a thing that can be threatened. But the video isn't purely about masculinity - the psyches of both men and women are facing an unparalleled challenge by not being challenged, except by isolation. This is, imo, part of why we are seeing the massive fracturing of individual psyches into all directions of "identities", anxiety/depressive disorders, extremist politics, etc.

Pat may not believe masculinity is a thing that can be threatened.

I think the more honest answer is that I just don't care. I don't consider myself a hyper- or even moderately "masculine" person, and I don't think my life is diminished because of that.

Maybe it's because of the community I live in, but I'm not sure I believe that masculinity is something that needs to persist in order for the human species to survive.

I think the more honest answer is that I just don't care. I don't consider myself a hyper- or even moderately "masculine" person, and I don't think my life is diminished because of that.

Well how many of us think we are really missing out on something that isn't socially and/or economically relevant to our positions in life? Of course even I would push back on the sort of "bro" caricatures of masculinity which pervade the strawmen of Jezebel pieces. I would argue there are archetypes of masculinity which certain situations require. A Mad Max world requires a Conan the Barbarian and Rambo if you will allow me to mix 80s references. At a different end of the spectrum we have a Holmes in Victorian England. There are rough and there are polished masculine figures, which correspond to the roughness or the polished nature of the times. The problem encountered today is that things are both and neither rough or/nor polished.

Maybe it's because of the community I live in, but I'm not sure I believe that masculinity is something that needs to persist in order for the human species to survive.

Since rough masculinity has been with the species since the beginning (and with hominids to some degree before that), is a test-tube derived androgynous asexual hominid still the human species? Will such a species have any reason or drive to perpetuate? What's the reason to test tube a baby if there's not even any interest in sexual pleasure? These aren't hyperbolic questions. Even now, the (or nearly the) most emasculated and/or androgynous culture faces a startling demographic cliff.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-demographic-cliff/article/690756

If Japan’s fertility rate were to somehow rebound to replacement level, its demographic structure is already so dilapidated that the country would lose 30 percent of its population by 2100. If Japan’s fertility rate stays where it is now? Then by 2100 the country will have lost more than half of its current population.

I don't think this is simply "hurrdurr, gotta be MOAR MANLY". This is simply, across the entire species, the unwinding of the nihilism Nietzsche warned about yet only faintly in comparison to the true danger. His solution was the Ubermensch, but without Transcendence there is no Why as an engine for the Ubermensch.

It may be the solution is in barbarism, and radical Islam is the specie's vehicle of salvation. How ironically sad.

I don't need to participate in every argument that happens on this board. I responded to this because Dak mentioned my name, and I explained why I'm not interested. You guys can talk about it all you want, but I fail to see how my lack of interest is "fucking terrible."

we all know if it was about femininity you'd have an opinion. but you already answered why you don't care so no need to go on any further. don't mind the honesty, it's what i hope to expose in a lot of these discussions

If it was about feminism, then maybe... but only because I'm familiar with the discourse.

Femininity/masculinity is a different topic, and not one I'm very interested in.

Well, this is a good piece. And I found very little to disagree with until I revisited the very early portion, specifically this segment:

If we started with very little, and then capitalism made us all wealthier, is it really the devil if, while doing that, a few got wealthier than others?

This is a hard argument to counter, and one has to question the instinct to counter it.

I admit that I'm not entirely confident I follow exactly what the author means (the statement is a conditional, so I'm not sure which argument the author is referring to); but a counterargument is easily crafted based purely on where our values lie.

For example:

Mark Greif said:
§ Principle: The purpose of government is to share out money so that there are no poor citizens—therefore no one for whom we must feel guilty because of the arbitrariness of fate. The purpose of life is to free individuals for individualism. Individualism is the project of making your own life as appealing as you can, as remarkable as you like, without the encumbrances of an unequal society, which renders your successes undeserved. Government is the outside corrective that leaves us free for life.

§ Legislative Initiative No.1: Add a tax bracket of 100 percent to cut off individual income at a fixed ceiling, allowing any individual to bring home a maximum of $100,000 a year from all sources and no more.

§ Legislative Initiative No.2: Give every citizen a total of $10,000 a year from the government revenues, paid as a monthly award, in recognition of being an adult in the United States.

This quote won't win me any sympathizers who already think I'm a communist; but my point is only that Greif's position on individualism and wealth is as convincing as samzdat's--it just depends on where your values lie.

Greif's entire piece can be found here:

https://nplusonemag.com/issue-4/politics/gut-level-legislation-or-redistribution/

The purpose of life is to free individuals for individualism. Individualism is the project of making your own life as appealing as you can, as remarkable as you like, without the encumbrances of an unequal society

doesn't this proposition only say individualism is good if it doesn't harm anyone else's individualism? as to presuppose that everyone has the same ideas of individualism?

seems like Greif wasn't interested in addressing that aspect of it?

The point of Greif's argument is that such interference wouldn't matter--or it would matter far less.

For instance, this portion on how a lessening of income disparity and opening up of social opportunities would reduce crime:

Obscene poverty doesn’t motivate the poor or please the rest of us; it makes the poor desperate, criminal, and unhappy. Absurd wealth doesn’t help the rich or motivate the rest of us, it makes the rich (for the most part good, decent, hardworking and talented people) into selfish guilty parties, responsible for social evil. It is cruel to rig our system to create these extremes, and cast fellow citizens into the two sewers that border the national road. For all of us, both superwealth and superpoverty make achievement trivial and unreal, and finally destroy the American principles of hard work and just deserts. Luckily, eradicating one (individual superwealth) might help eradicate the other (superpoverty).

There would still be crime, i.e. infringements upon individuality, and these infringements would be handled as they are now; but Greif is of the opinion that most criminals are driven to it by social conditions, not by personal preference (although he addresses this too, later in the essay). As such, crime would decrease if society provided expanded opportunities for individualism, since people would pursue their personal goals without the fear of absolute destitution.

I should point out that I don't share Greif's position. I just think it's a lovely example of how notions like individualism can be construed in various ways, depending on one's values.

Obscene poverty doesn’t motivate the poor or please the rest of us; it makes the poor desperate, criminal, and unhappy.
but Greif is of the opinion that most criminals are driven to it by social conditions,

not sure he thinks this, your interpretation and his words are contradictory. The poor are so incredibly motivated that they become desperate, criminal. or else he's saying those that are poor are biologically prone to criminal activities, desperation etc.

As such, crime would decrease if society provided expanded opportunities for individualism,

just seems a tad pompous to assume everyone's individualism includes artistically or ideologically expressing themselves. if he tackles this idea i'd be interested, but just seems to not be interested in it

not sure he thinks this, your interpretation and his words are contradictory. The poor are so incredibly motivated that they become desperate, criminal. or else he's saying those that are poor are biologically prone to criminal activities, desperation etc.

I said that Greif believes the poor are driven to crime by social conditions. Poverty is a social condition. I'm saying exactly what he (and you) just said, I chose used more general terminology.

He's definitely not saying that criminals are biologically prone to crime. Or if they are, this is negligible.

just seems a tad pompous to assume everyone's individualism includes artistically or ideologically expressing themselves. if he tackles this idea i'd be interested, but just seems to not be interested in it

He doesn't assume this. His argument is that, if people's income is restricted to $100,000, and all those people quit their jobs and do something else, then it stands to reason that they were only doing those jobs for the money--they'd always wanted to do something else. He isn't assuming that all people secretly want to be artists or musicians or something, he's just posing a conditional.

Here's a helpful passage:

Greif said:
The threat from those who oppose this line of thought is that, without “incentives,” people will stop working. The worst-case scenario is that tens of thousands of people who hold jobs in finance, corporate management, and the professions (not to mention professional sports and acting) will quit their jobs and end their careers because they did not truly want to be bankers, lawyers, CEOs, actors, ballplayers, et cetera. They were only doing it for the money! Actually they wanted to be high school teachers, social workers, general practitioners, stay-at-home parents, or criminals and layabouts.

Far from this being a tragedy, this would be the greatest single triumph of human emancipation in a century. A small portion of the rich and unhappy would be freed at last from the slavery of jobs that aren’t their life’s work—and all of us would be freed from an insane system.

If there is anyone working a job who would stop doing that job should his income—and all his richest compatriots’ incomes—drop to $100,000 a year, he should not be doing that job. He should never have been doing that job—for his own life’s sake. It’s just not a life, to do work you don’t want to do when you have other choices, and can think of something better (and have a $10,000 cushion to supplement a different choice of life). If no one would choose to do this job for a mere $100,000 a year, if all would pursue something else more humanly valuable; if, say, there would no longer be anyone willing to be a trader, a captain of industry, an actor, or an athlete for that kind of money—then the job should not exist.

In effect, Greif is saying that lawyers and CEOS absolutely might still exist. There can certainly be people who want to keep doing those jobs, even after a salary reduction. He's only suggesting that restricting income would "free" individuals to do what they truly want to do.