Dance of Death after a week and a bit

I dont really get how some people are having problems playing the damn CD?! I know it's supposed to be 'copy protected' which apparently causes some problems with certain hardware...but I havent had a problem playing it in 7 different CD/DVD/CD-ROM players that I have......

AND, I have also been able to burn it, here I was gripping myself for the worst, and this basic CD creator program that came standard on my PC just ripped it off no problems. Copy Protected?

As far as the album goes, It is interesting to read all the differing opinions. I remember once Steve Harris said something like this with regard to reactions they get whenever they release a new album "to some it's too different, and to other's it's too much of the same...."

I still haven't bought it, I was going to this week, but i bought Duran Duran instead.

on the plus side, I like Rio more then DoD, possibly cos it's a good cd.

The problem is that the CD needs to install something to run.

At work, the computers are all protected to stop the loading of unauthorised software.

The disk can't start.

Winmar said:
Nightwing, I can only assume you haven't heard St. Anger yet!
:lol: Yeah, you're right......I've heard bits of it - all my ears could stand.
That IS by far the worst production of any major band's album EVER.

Bob Rock - what the fuck was he thinking?? :guh:

Haupassia said:
DoD is brilliant.

St. Anger blows

While Dance of Death gets better with every listen, as soon as I got over the initial surprise of St. Anger actually being reasonably heavy I stopped listening to it. Why? The production, simple as that. It's a very difficult album to listen to which is a shame as I think the material deserved better. There's no faulting their desire to produce something different ,but the execution is woeful. The sound on the 'live' rehearsal DVD is actually a lot better than the album, plus you have Rob Trujillo's playing as a bonus!

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.... why Bob Rock would think the production on St. Anger is even of a releasable quality is beyond me, especially when you compare it to the black album, one of my favourite albums in terms of production - a crisp, clear, huge sound and polished to boot. Many of you may disagree, but my feelings on production centre on presenting the songs in the most appealing manner possible sonically, so you can hear every instrument and therefore hear the song in the best possible light. If I want to hear a band's live sound and feel the energy I'd rather go and see the band perform and experience it firsthand, which is the only way you can really experience it.

I've heard better production than that on Dance of Death, but I've also heard a lot worse.

I agree that the production on St Anger is its downfall and the material deserved better. If it simply sounded better it would have won a lot more people over, as there is some brilliant material on there if you are willing to look. I am over it though, as it is kind of like ...AJFA in that the production is a step back from where they were, but I couldn't really imagine it any other way. The production on AJFA isn't great, but I couldn't imagine 'Blackened' for example any other way and I wouldn't want to, as it hauls arse. I think St Anger is similar, just more to the extreme.

PIV Bassman said:
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.... why Bob Rock would think the production on St. Anger is even of a releasable quality is beyond me, especially when you compare it to the black album, one of my favourite albums in terms of production - a crisp, clear, huge sound and polished to boot. Many of you may disagree, but my feelings on production centre on presenting the songs in the most appealing manner possible sonically, so you can hear every instrument and therefore hear the song in the best possible light. If I want to hear a band's live sound and feel the energy I'd rather go and see the band perform and experience it firsthand, which is the only way you can really experience it.

I've heard better production than that on Dance of Death, but I've also heard a lot worse.
Totally agree with most of this........I mean, if I want to hear a band sound like a garage band, I'll walk down the fucking street and listen to the young blokes playing in their parents garage.
The Black album sounded great to me, and the drums in particular were great, with the kick lumpy as fuck!

I really don't care much for DOD. I really like some of the songs (Wildest Dreams is in my top 3 Maiden songs ever along with 22 Acacia Ave and The Evil That Men Do) but the rest are pretty dull. I can't bring myself to listen to the title track (the only other Maiden song I can't listen to is the godawful Mother Russia) and I think Paschendale is pretty average.

5 out of 10 for me so far. At the moment it's at the very bottom of the Maiden studio album rankings for mine.

Blitzkrieg said:
Don't I remember you singing its praises when it was first released? :confused:

you would be correct. While the music is not bad i can't get passed the production. i like it less and less afer each listen.

Spiff said:
I really don't care much for DOD. I really like some of the songs (Wildest Dreams is in my top 3 Maiden songs ever along with 22 Acacia Ave and The Evil That Men Do) but the rest are pretty dull. I can't bring myself to listen to the title track (the only other Maiden song I can't listen to is the godawful Mother Russia) and I think Paschendale is pretty average.

5 out of 10 for me so far. At the moment it's at the very bottom of the Maiden studio album rankings for mine.
I rate it above NPFTD and slightly above FOTD........and the title track, to me, is one of the worst tracks they have ever recorded.

Remember this friends........today I say that the current line-up will not record another album together.........there will be at least one change. Mark my words.

PIV Bassman said:
What makes you say this and who do you think is going to leave - or do you think someone is going to be ejected?
Nothing specific.....I just feel that when the dust settles, DoD will be seen as something of a dissapointment overall, or something that could have been much better.
I think the three guitar thing simply hasn't worked, and I feel either Janick or Adrian will not be in the band for the next album.

I think IM will need to do something to change or modernise the sound as well........