Dark Metal...(ominous string music)

TyrantOfFlames

Of Chaos and Order
Sep 3, 2001
Tralfamador
Visit site
It seems that this "Dark metal" is as illusive as the Second Foundation. Exactly what is it? I have heard that certain Tiamat albums fit into the genre, (my favorites albums, namely Wildhoney and Deeper Kind of Slumber...Clouds too), but that is the only band that I know of that has been labelled Dark metal. Every now and then I hear a vague referrence to it, as if it is an ancient family secret, with religious and superstitious qualities attatched to it.

Anyone?

Isn't most metal kinda.........dark?

I've honestly never heard that term used before. Maybe you mean Darkwave , like Mortiis. Or maybe Dark Ambient , like Dargaard.

Originally posted by Oyo
You're back

Is that a dark metal band? heh...yes, I have been busy with school, work and a certain female...(ZirnaLuna). But I shall start posting again. Sorry about the lapse. As a matter of fact, I'm rather surprised someone noticed.

At any rate, I suppose not too many people have heard of it. Well then are there any bands alike to Tiamat in the Wildhoney/Deeper Kind of Slumber days? I definitely dig it.

Well, Wildhoney, and especially A Deeper Kind of SLumber are more ambient rock than metal. Have you ever heard of Moonspell? They're a Portugese band that plays a slower, more ambient gothic style of metal. You might like them. Also try Dargaard, though they're more classically influenced then anything ie. no guitars

Classical is not a problem here. In fact I wish Therion were a little more like classical than they are...though I still love them. Yes, I've heard Moonspell, and I can not get past that guy's voice. All I can think of is a Peter Steele rip-off, (who would want to do that?) It's not that he isn't any good at singing, I just can't stand his tone. My little bias; maybe one day I will pick Moonspell up again.

My understanding is that Dark Metal is a mixture of Black and Doom Metal.... BETHLEHEM were the first band that I heard using that term (they have an album entitled 'Dark Metal')....

I don't care for Moonspell much either, of course I'm not really into recent Tiamat. Dargaard makes very relaxing, yet engaing music. The vocals are mostly female.

I can't get enough of Therion (neither can my mom.) I love the balance stricken between metal and classical. If you like Therion, and prefer it more on the classical side, try a band called Lacrimosa. Their compositions are more classically orientated, with a little metal thrown in. Some songs are entirely classical. It's really moving stuff. I'd also recommend Haggard, who make largely classical based music, with a tinge of black metal.

Originally posted by O'blivion
I can't get enough of Therion (neither can my mom.) I love the balance stricken between metal and classical. If you like Therion, and prefer it more on the classical side, try a band called Lacrimosa. Their compositions are more classically orientated, with a little metal thrown in. Some songs are entirely classical. It's really moving stuff. I'd also recommend Haggard, who make largely classical based music, with a tinge of black metal.
Mandatory fix:
Neither Therion, nor Lacrimosa have anything to do with classical.
(they both suck too, hehe, sorry, couldn't resist)

Look deeper into the music. Therion's music is heavy-metal riffs with choirs and orchestras on top. Lacrimosa (later albums) are goth-metal with orchestra/synths. Orchestra and classical are not synonyms. Classical music is conceived as constantly developing music, almost bordering on absolute in its possibilities, and where every sound (or you can say "note") is crucial and important to the experience. Metal music (which includes Therion and Lacrimosa), when you go to the root of it, is basically about repeating riffs on distorted guitar. "Open-minded" bands may replace or complement distorted guitar with other sounds, but the core of the music stays the same. The orchestra is just a decoration in the case of the bands mentioned here, and especially Therion.

No problem with anybody liking them, I used to like them too. Before. But they're not classical, just like the "Rappin' 2 da Classics" compilation by "da bad mofo gangsta" artists or string arrangements by Dr. Dre are not classical.

Yo yo, y'all!

A band I know for sure that have classed themselves "Dark Metal", is "Throes of Dawn". I have the album "Binding of the Spirit" which is very dark sounding. Triste's post sounds pretty correct to me as Throes of Dawn are kind of a black/doom mix with some very beautiful acoustic/softer sections.

Silhouette said it with the Throes of Dawn. A Symphonic black sound with a very melancholy atmosphere, great stuff. Therion is symphonic metal, I agree with D Mullholand they aren't really classical. I would say they are about as classical as something like Dimmu Borgir to a higher extent.

Look deeper into the music. Therion's music is heavy-metal riffs with choirs and orchestras on top.

Most people's problem with Therion is the marriage of these two styles. The feeling is that they don't belong, and that they're separate. Such is suggested by saying Christofer Johnsson simply writes some metal riffs and throws some strings and horns in to fill in the spaces. That would be accurate for, say, Metallica's little symphony effort. When I listen to a Therion song, I hear one piece of music, period. If you choose to separate it in your mind, well, that's your prerogative.

Orchestra and classical are not synonyms. Classical music is conceived as constantly developing music, almost bordering on absolute in its possibilities, and where every sound (or you can say "note") is crucial and important to the experience.

I didn't say it was classical, just classically influenced. The word classical refers to a style, or a region of the musical landscape thus explored, if you will. The word orchestral refers to the method of delivery of the music. It's delivered through an orchestra. I don't sit and listen to "Via Nocturna" and expect it to sound like Frank Zappa's "The Girl In the Magnesium Dress" (which is the ideal piece, if we go by your definition of classical music.) Classical is a very broad term, as it can refer to symphonies, sonatas, fugues, concertos, minuets, marches, operas (various forms, such a singspiels), requiems, string quartets, even chanting, etc. What these forms all have in common, is their origin. They were all born out of the classical period in Europe. That's why the definition of the word has those parameters in the western world, as it doesn’t include the traditional classical music of places like Mali, China, Indonesia, India, etc.

Metal music (which includes Therion and Lacrimosa), when you go to the root of it, is basically about repeating riffs on distorted guitar. "Open-minded" bands may replace or complement distorted guitar with other sounds, but the core of the music stays the same. The orchestra is just a decoration in the case of the bands mentioned here, and especially Therion.

This may have been true at one time, but there is a lot "metal" music conceived today that is as complex and constantly developing, as you put it, as conventional classical music. The music of Nile, then, is just as much classical music as the works of Mozart and Stravinsky. Furthermore, many styles of jazz can be considered classical if we adhere to your criteria. Somehow, I doubt you've listened to much Lacrimosa, because, as I mentioned in my earlier post, they have quite a few pieces that are completely classical. Should a group that plays pure classical as well as classical/rock/metal integration be considered a metal band? To be honest I don't care. Labels are the least of importance. . .

You know, I'm listening to Haggard now, I hear little repetition, yes even in the metal riffs that come in some times. Of course, there IS repetition in classical music, as a piece's theme surfaces time and time again; though of course it's manipulated as the piece progresses. I love both metal and classical forms of music, as the partitions have been erected. But in the end, music is music. Therion is music. Music I consider brilliant, complex, and endearing. They don't "suck," as you put it. If you really believe that, you either have very restricted musical taste, or you're not thinking clearly, because when you say they suck, you're saying that everything about their music is a failure. If that is what you truly believe, then you have only my pity.

I'm not looking for an argument. I just want you to see that there are many ways of perceiving the world. Our conception of the universe comes purely through our senses. Each individual is different, and by being open to the endless ways of interpreting reality, a person can assuredly find bliss in every moment of their life. Many human definitions and concepts are abstract, music being one of them. I don't go around to caves in France, critiquing the style of ten thousand year old paintings. Such an excursion would be to admire the way someone has expressed their conception of their own known world. Give that some thought. And D Mullholand, I wish you the best of luck on your own composing. I hope one day you'll share with us your own beautiful interpretation of the world. I'm quite confident that it won't "suck."

Most people's problem with Therion is the marriage of these two styles. The feeling is that they don't belong, and that they're separate. Such is suggested by saying Christofer Johnsson simply writes some metal riffs and throws some strings and horns in to fill in the spaces. That would be accurate for, say, Metallica's little symphony effort. When I listen to a Therion song, I hear one piece of music, period. If you choose to separate it in your mind, well, that's your prerogative.
Not to fill in the spaces, he rather utilizes the orchestra instead of another guitar, or instead of synths like his peer-bands do (of course, they use synths instead of orchestras, but that river we won't cross). The result is yes, an original style, but still not that classically-influenced apart from the presence of an orchestra, choirs and the occasional operatic vocals (Via Nocturna is the closest they get to classical, in my opinion it's a weak attempt at something). They still repeat riffs by numbers, and build their compositions on riff juxtaposition (the trademark of popular music) instead of theme development. Again, no problem with that - I personally prefer "Beyond Sanctorum" to all of their later efforts.
I didn't say it was classical, just classically influenced.
No more questions, Your Honor. ;)
They were all born out of the classical period in Europe.
Or rather the Classical period - but I'm sure you are aware that the classical musical "region" goes beyond 1800 (and even 1912).
This may have been true at one time, but there is a lot "metal" music conceived today that is as complex and constantly developing, as you put it, as conventional classical music.
Absolutely, witness Maudlin of the Well. The question is, like you mentioned - do they stay "metal" when they transcend the genre, while retaining the sonic characteristics (distorted guitars etc)? And really, who cares?
Therion is music. Music I consider brilliant, complex, and endearing. They don't "suck," as you put it. If you really believe that, you either have very restricted musical taste, or you're not thinking clearly, because when you say they suck, you're saying that everything about their music is a failure.
Y'know, this defensive reaction of yours is quite unnecessary. Would it be more paralytically correct if instead of "they suck" I would've written "in my utmostly humble opinion, they create music which is sub-par"? Inserting the neutralizing "in my subjective opinion" in every sentence would clutter the discussion, and is it really required when it's pretty much obvious that everything one says, is one's opinion? But to settle the matter, I apologize for the slip in etiquette.

"Restricted musical taste?" You're talking about some imaginary enemy here. I am interested in absolutely all kinds of music, and I love to discover new possibilities of what can music be. But some music, after you discover it and let it pass through you, leaves no good memories behind and is not that exciting anymore. Most of Therion and Lacrimosa's albums I'm sick of. In my very humble and quiet opinion, they commit the deadly sin of banality. You may argue this, but to me their music is as obvious and tired as a shaving cream commercial.
I'm not looking for an argument. I just want you to see that there are many ways of perceiving the world. Our conception of the universe comes purely through our senses. Each individual is different, and by being open to the endless ways of interpreting reality, a person can assuredly find bliss in every moment of their life. Many human definitions and concepts are abstract, music being one of them. I don't go around to caves in France, critiquing the style of ten thousand year old paintings. Such an excursion would be to admire the way someone has expressed their conception of their own known world. Give that some thought.
Judging by your condescending attitude, do you assume that I don't understand what you're talking about here? We're not that different in our worldviews, and concepts like "music" or "beauty" or "love" or "reality" or even "god" are always intriguing - it's cool that you feel and think the way you do - but the judgemental tone and the transition from music to trying to show me the bicycle that you invented, are quite redundant.

D Mullholand

Not to fill in the spaces, he rather utilizes the orchestra instead of another guitar, or instead of synths like his peer-bands do (of course, they use synths instead of orchestras, but that river we won't cross). The result is yes, an original style, but still not that classically-influenced apart from the presence of an orchestra, choirs and the occasional operatic vocals (Via Nocturna is the closest they get to classical, in my opinion it's a weak attempt at something). They still repeat riffs by numbers, and build their compositions on riff juxtaposition (the trademark of popular music) instead of theme development. Again, no problem with that - I personally prefer "Beyond Sanctorum" to all of their later efforts.

Agreed. Except I don't think VN is a weak attempt at something, as you put it. The bottom line is, Johnsson is creating exactly what he envisions, and isn't trying to compose a symphony, which to him might be quite trite or banal.;) He's said himself numerous times that Therion is a metal band first and foremost (which is exactly what you've been saying from the start:D )

Or rather the Classical period - but I'm sure you are aware that the classical musical "region" goes beyond 1800 (and even 1912).

Of course. That’s why I wrote “born out of”:p

Absolutely, witness Maudlin of the Well. The question is, like you mentioned - do they stay "metal" when they transcend the genre, while retaining the sonic characteristics (distorted guitars etc)? And really, who cares?

Exactly. Maudlin of the well is a perfect example. They take you everywhere from free flowing jazz, to space-rock, to folk, back to the fiery depths of extreme black metal and back again. This is a band I hope more people discover. Are you familiar with the Japanese band Sigh? They're sort of all over the place like MotW, but it all seems to make sense in the end.

Y'know, this defensive reaction of yours is quite unnecessary. Would it be more paralytically correct if instead of "they suck" I would've written "in my utmostly humble opinion, they create music which is sub-par"? Inserting the neutralizing "in my subjective opinion" in every sentence would clutter the discussion, and is it really required when it's pretty much obvious that everything one says, is one's opinion? But to settle the matter, I apologize for the slip in etiquette.
"Restricted musical taste?" You're talking about some imaginary enemy here. I am interested in absolutely all kinds of music, and I love to discover new possibilities of what can music be. But some music, after you discover it and let it pass through you, leaves no good memories behind and is not that exciting anymore. Most of Therion and Lacrimosa's albums I'm sick of. In my very humble and quiet opinion, they commit the deadly sin of banality. You may argue this, but to me their music is as obvious and tired as a shaving cream commercial.

At the risk of sounding redundant (once again;),) when someone says something “sucks,” it’s basically suggested (at least to me) that everything about it is utter crap. I wasn't trying to imply that you have limited musical taste, just that it's a possible reason for someone to think that music like Therion has no reason to even exist. The fact that you've actually heard Therion's music (not to mention taken the time to have grown bored of it) implies that you're open to a myriad of musical forms, and have done your share of sonic exploration. You may take this as some form of defense, as you had in my last post for some reason, but I just wish to clarify it for any future discussions we may have. In your first post, all you wrote is that they "suck." I just responded as per my nature.

I don't intend to come off sounding like some cocky prick (now that is redundant:D,) but that's the problem with message boards. It's extremely hard to have an engaging conversation. I'd prefer it to be face to face, but the problem is very few people are aware of the music we are talk about in these forums, and most are too obstinate to give anything "different" a try. Music is the only thing I can't really talk to my friends about (with the exception of a few.) The bottom line is I'd rather have a conversation with you where you reduce Therion or any other band for that matter into a pile of steaming refuse because, well, 99% of people haven't heard 99% of the music out there. At least you know what your talking about. One more thing: the way you feel about Therion is the way I feel about Dream Theatre, and I know there’s a hell of a lot of people out there who would skewer me alive for speaking ill of DT. I just don’t get their stuff…..it’s just……empty. So I understand the feeling, for what it's worth.

On the topic of “classical metal,” have you heard the new Green Carnation album “Light of Day, Day of Darkness?” It’s actually one sixty-minute song, though relatively straightforward, it definitely exhibits how a theme can be manipulated in many ways throughout a piece. They do utilize strings and choirs in some places as well, but the classical aspect is felt more in the overall theme.

I read an explanation on dark metal a while ago... can't remember where.... but it was something like a genre that has been created to fit a certain group of bands into, who are normally not easily pidgeonholed...... bands like Opeth, Katatonia, Evergrey, Vintersorg (and Borknagar) and so on.....
it's music that is of course metal, but neither happy nor particularly evil or angry..... it is dark, in texture and in the emotions that is brings out in the listener........

hope I haven't just sprouted a heap of crap, but I would tend to agree with that explanation.....

Moose

I read an explanation on dark metal a while ago... can't remember where.... but it was something like a genre that has been created to fit a certain group of bands into, who are normally not easily pidgeonholed...... bands like Opeth, Katatonia, Evergrey, Vintersorg (and Borknagar) and so on.....
it's music that is of course metal, but neither happy nor particularly evil or angry..... it is dark, in texture and in the emotions that is brings out in the listener........

hope I haven't just sprouted a heap of crap, but I would tend to agree with that explanation.....

Moose

By that description BWP might be the best representative of dark metal...goodie:p