dark/serious non-metal music?

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
What is some dark, serious non-metal music? I know a lot of hardcore fits this category, so don't mention that. Also, I'm thinking more along the lines of military/dark industrial like Laibach, or maybe dark abient. The music must be serious and not happy, and can't have lyrics about girls and relationships. I listen to primarily metal, because for the most part, the only music that meets these criteria are the metal bands I listen to. I know it would be good if I could expand my musical taste a little, though.

The Grimace said:
Nothing like Laibach, but listen to Nick Cave anyway because I said so. He sings about girls most of the time, but usually he's killing them. He's darker than Satan's o-ring. :lol:
lol. I would prefer a serious response, though. Recommendations of stuff like Blood Axis, Death In June, Laibach, Puissance, etc.

Not all *dark* as such, but look into Elend, Dark Sanctuary, Northaunt, Desiderii Marginis, Autechre, Coph Nia, Sophia, Inade, The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath A Cloud, Deathprod, Lustmord, Profanum, Endura, Biosphere, Neptune Towers, etc...

+ Darken's project Lord Wind which you've probably already heard, and the best of all, Dead Can Dance.

Life Sucks said:
What is some dark, serious non-metal music? I know a lot of hardcore fits this category, so don't mention that. Also, I'm thinking more along the lines of military/dark industrial like Laibach, or maybe dark abient. The music must be serious and not happy, and can't have lyrics about girls and relationships. I listen to primarily metal, because for the most part, the only music that meets these criteria are the metal bands I listen to. I know it would be good if I could expand my musical taste a little, though.

Sound track to the ring two, even though I wouldn't recomend the actual movie, the sound track is awsome though - it is dark classical and orchastrated stuff...

Valtiel said:
Sound track to the ring two, even though I wouldn't recomend the actual movie, the sound track is awsome though - it is dark classical and orchastrated stuff...

Or how about do a search for some silent hill tracks, those are always extremely dark - especially Angel's Thanatos...

Check out "Sunn o)))", I think it is somekind of dark ambient music (at least the songs I've heard). Couldn't find their homepage at this moment though...

Life Sucks said:

Check out http://cauldron.cellarseer.com or http://www.lustmord.com for some dark ambient goodness. Oh, Gruntsplatter is good too.

damn what is with this dark and serious only stuff. even the musicians who made the music itself isn't as serious. i also dig military type music, but more into acoustic folk, hymn and chant. either that or ultra heavy ambient. i dont listen to darkwave and much of that dark ambient stuff. if you know of death in june already i'm sure you know of other good bands. check out the label called 'cold meat industry'.

Gallantry over Docility said:
I forgot to mention Nest.
i dont see how nature kantele music fits in all this, although i love their music.

nick cave: i just got a chance to listen to boatman's call. i think its good music, but i cant wholly get into it because of his sort of sadistic and sort of atheist theme. i love his deep voice.

*goes back to listening to happy snes soundtracks*

Hardcore music does not sound dark or serious. Not sure what hardcore bands you've heard that do.

Life Sucks said:
anathema
tindersticks *oops...not at all metal...but i left that one in didn't i?*
obviously pink floyd

Life Sucks said:
alot of classical sounds very dark