Darren White: not dead and not dreaming

ah daz was very good for the band in many ways in the old days and in the end it came down to music as to why we parted company.. i always said and i maintain that if daz had the right type of voice for us then it might have worked.. glad to still be close to him though

pagan2002 said:
ah daz was very good for the band in many ways in the old days and in the end it came down to music as to why we parted company.. i always said and i maintain that if daz had the right type of voice for us then it might have worked.. glad to still be close to him though

pagan2002 said:
also we all got carried away with ourselves at some point when we were young, without exception..

huh I recently typed down two Hungarian Metal Hammer magazine interviews from 1995 and 1996 and they sound hm... strange. there's some negative sounding in every single word that I just can't believe it really was this bad, and I was really thinking it must have been the translation only. did you really get that angry with each other those times?

Loona said:
I recently typed down two Hungarian Metal Hammer magazine interviews from 1995 and 1996 and they sound hm... strange. there's some negative sounding in every single word that I just can't believe it really was this bad, and I was really thinking it must have been the translation only. did you really get that angry with each other those times?

Loona, surely the "angriness" was not from me? After being ousted from the band I didn't do any interviews.
I went to India and then when I came back, somebody sent me a load of press the band had done in which they had been "kicking me while I was down". Hurtful stuff like what you may have read in those interviews.
I couldn't believe that my old friends had embarked on such a campaign to give me a bad name. Yes, I had fucked up in the studio. It was a transitional period when we were aware that we would not continue with vocals like on Serenades. I must have thought I was able to go into the studio and almost improvise like I had done with Pentecost III. I had apologised to them and everything, and I was gutted enough about not being allowed to finish the album or continue in the future something that was a massive piece of me. So for them to make it worse for me by slating me and all I had done with them was even more upsetting. Anyway, in 1996 we met up and I confronted them about it. I reckoned that the reason they said what they did was probably because they had so many people asking them "why" that they just attacked me as the best form of defence from the interviewer's questions.
It is a long time ago. They were nicer in later interviews and in 1999 we met up again and things were left in the past.
This is a dodgy topic. I think I sound too "gossipy". I have used the forum to promote Serotonal but it should not be used by me to sort out psychological problems or open up old wounds. It should be about what Anathema are up to next. 1995 is 10 years ago. I know people are probably interested, but I don't want to sound like I am slagging them off. That is one thing I have wanted to avoid. In 1994, when I was obsessed with the concept of "true metal" I used to slag off My Dying Bride for not being "true". That was rubbish. When you get asked the same question over and over you can become too easy with hurtful words. I think that what you should say to anyone about anyone else should be something that you would say to their face.
So to the Anathema lads, peace brothers. I loved ya. We had a fantastic time. Sleeping in cold vans was more fun than anyone could appreciate.

yogidaz said:
Loona, surely the "angriness" was not from me? After being ousted from the band I didn't do any interviews.
I went to India and then when I came back, somebody sent me a load of press the band had done in which they had been "kicking me while I was down". Hurtful stuff like what you may have read in those interviews.
I couldn't believe that my old friends had embarked on such a campaign to give me a bad name. Yes, I had fucked up in the studio. It was a transitional period when we were aware that we would not continue with vocals like on Serenades. I must have thought I was able to go into the studio and almost improvise like I had done with Pentecost III. I had apologised to them and everything, and I was gutted enough about not being allowed to finish the album or continue in the future something that was a massive piece of me. So for them to make it worse for me by slating me and all I had done with them was even more upsetting. Anyway, in 1996 we met up and I confronted them about it. I reckoned that the reason they said what they did was probably because they had so many people asking them "why" that they just attacked me as the best form of defence from the interviewer's questions.
It is a long time ago. They were nicer in later interviews and in 1999 we met up again and things were left in the past.
This is a dodgy topic. I think I sound too "gossipy". I have used the forum to promote Serotonal but it should not be used by me to sort out psychological problems or open up old wounds. It should be about what Anathema are up to next. 1995 is 10 years ago. I know people are probably interested, but I don't want to sound like I am slagging them off. That is one thing I have wanted to avoid. In 1994, when I was obsessed with the concept of "true metal" I used to slag off My Dying Bride for not being "true". That was rubbish. When you get asked the same question over and over you can become too easy with hurtful words. I think that what you should say to anyone about anyone else should be something that you would say to their face.
So to the Anathema lads, peace brothers. I loved ya. We had a fantastic time. Sleeping in cold vans was more fun than anyone could appreciate.

yes, I know you had no choice about what they said in their interviews, being no more a member. I didn't blame you, I just could not (and still can't) believe you did something so bad that they said that words about you, just as you may couldn't believe it neither. ((oops, don't think it was grammatically correct anyway...)) that's why I said it may didn't sound this serious originally, only the translation gave it that serious taste.
great to hear everything got better by now. sorry for bringing it up again by the way.

and about Serotonal, I think you didn't do anything wrong by bringing it up here. I am sure that fans of the period of Anathema with you in will surely be interested in it, furthermore, will be really glad to hear about you and your new plans. those who didn't like it may also give it a chance and will get to like it - maybe because the great difference between that type of music and this, as you already said. and those, who don't seem to like your music won't post in this thread because it would not really make sense. If they do than don't give a damn, think you know how it goes. and I still think you can only win with it.
sorry if I sounded strange, I tend to talk like one's mother if it comes to something serious, sorry for that...
Cheers, we like you too, don't forget it ;)

Loona said:
sorry if I sounded strange, I tend to talk like one's mother if it comes to something serious, sorry for that...
Cheers, we like you too, don't forget it ;)

Thanks for that. I do need a bit of "mothering" from time to time. My mum passed away shortly before Helen (Cav's mum - inspiration for some of their tunes you love so much) did. It is nice to have someone who looks out for you in life.

flebbie said:
Hey Darren, I was wondering, what do you of think of the albums they made after you left? And the stuff they do now.
I simply cannot listen to The Silent Enigma because in my head the music is as much a part of me as it is to the others, except because I was not on the finished album no-one else appreciates that. When I work on music to that intensity that we did it becomes part of me. You are there at the birth and you feel you are a part of that song's life.
Yes, I know that Danny wrote most of it, but it came together and was structured in the studio, with me being totally involved in it (without actually playing any of it).
Lots of it (and songs on later albums) was born on my little acoustic guitar in my room in front of the coal fire. Moody, late-night, drugged-up times between me and Danny! I would fuel Danny up with tales of other dimensions, true stories of worldwide misery, copious amounts of hashish, and we would discuss how to start the revolution through rock and roll, denim and leather. He would respond by coming up with riff after riff and we would already hear the finished tunes in our heads.
Anyway. All the other albums I have heard, I have liked. I think they do sound better when they play heavier, but Electricity is not heavy (in the conventional sense) but is still impressive - in it's sheer simplicity. I find Childhood Dream sickening though. If I hear it by mistake I feel ill.
I think Panic is great, and the tune of Violence during John's blasts gives me emotions almost like I got when I was in the band.

yogidaz said:
I simply cannot listen to The Silent Enigma because in my head the music is as much a part of me as it is to the others, except because I was not on the finished album no-one else appreciates that. When I work on music to that intensity that we did it becomes part of me. You are there at the birth and you feel you are a part of that song's life.
Yes, I know that Danny wrote most of it, but it came together and was structured in the studio, with me being totally involved in it (without actually playing any of it).
Lots of it (and songs on later albums) was born on my little acoustic guitar in my room in front of the coal fire. Moody, late-night, drugged-up times between me and Danny! I would fuel Danny up with tales of other dimensions, true stories of worldwide misery, copious amounts of hashish, and we would discuss how to start the revolution through rock and roll, denim and leather. He would respond by coming up with riff after riff and we would already hear the finished tunes in our heads.
Anyway. All the other albums I have heard, I have liked. I think they do sound better when they play heavier, but Electricity is not heavy (in the conventional sense) but is still impressive - in it's sheer simplicity. I find Childhood Dream sickening though. If I hear it by mistake I feel ill.
I think Panic is great, and the tune of Violence during John's blasts gives me emotions almost like I got when I was in the band.
lovely post

yogidaz said:
Thanks for that. I do need a bit of "mothering" from time to time. My mum passed away shortly before Helen (Cav's mum - inspiration for some of their tunes you love so much) did. It is nice to have someone who looks out for you in life.
:)
glad you don't say I should go to hell because of it... well most of the times I'm like that, and my friends find me damn annoying when I behave like this and also say I just make me life harder with being this serious and caring this much for others...
think it's silly... okay, maybe there's some truth in it, as sometimes it really affects me too much, but I don't find it bad to care about others. (and sometimes I think they only say it because the don't like the fact that me "little twenty" takes care of them big "almost thirties" :) )
I can't imagine myself without this habit, anyways, I don't know but I think I must be a good friend, because I am there if they need me. no matter what or when. and I don't just say it. (well, I wish there would be no case for them to make sure I really do)

yogidaz said:
Thanx for replying, that was very interesting to read. And good luck with Serotonal, I will keep checking it. :wave:

daz is a top bloke. his positivity was a wonderful thing to be around and its no co-incidence that i became a more negative person following his departure. but that was some time ago. we got carried away and thats the way it goes when you are young. i just wish all the best to serotonal and nothing would please me more than for them to do a great album and be recognised. even tour with us. i would love it.

LoboUivante said:
i've got a band too... maybe one day we can open for anathema, i promisse you won't be disappointed. :angel:

you can open up for me too if you like, wide :Smokedev:

pagan2002 said:
daz is a top bloke. his positivity was a wonderful thing to be around and its no co-incidence that i became a more negative person following his departure. but that was some time ago. we got carried away and thats the way it goes when you are young. i just wish all the best to serotonal and nothing would please me more than for them to do a great album and be recognised. even tour with us. i would love it.

sound, you'll be grand boss! :kickass: