death magnetic

This is going to be the first Metallica disk I will have purchased since Justice. Heard a few tracks the other night on 97.9 here in Chicago. Cyanide rips! Lars is still a bitch.

Not sure how I feel about the new stuff. I am trying to get past the resentment for them over the Napster fiasco and the loss of what little respect I had for them after Some Kind Of Monster showed their moist side.
Observations
-Lars has found a use for the dbl bass again but still hasn't found his ride cymbal
-Kirk seems to have toned down the use of his Wah pedal but, still uses it too much
-I like the bass guitar sound/production
-The guitar tone is nothing like I am used to hearing from Metallica. It almost has a Kyuss-esque muddiness to it. I don't know how much I like it.
-Was Lars snare drum over-miked to give the album a more 1980's sound? The snare is so prominent. Everytime he hits it, I am reminded that this band includes Lars Ulrich. Quite possibly the most annoying, whiny, twat in metal.
Kidding aside, I like it. Whoever made the Brave New World reference is spot-on!

This is going to be the first Metallica disk I will have purchased since Justice. Heard a few tracks the other night on 97.9 here in Chicago. Cyanide rips! Lars is still a bitch.

and cyanide isn't even in my top 4 of the cd just to give you an idea on how much I enjoy the cd!

All nightmare long should be come big as a single!
That was just your life is awesome as a track 1!:headbang:

unforgiven III ????
are you serious?

now we'll get re-return to hanger

-Jono-

I initially balked at that title myself, but I've read a lot of comments around the net that say it's the best of the three. I haven't heard it myself yet. I love everything else I've heard so far, so I expect it will at least be decent.

I have been listening to some of the singles - and they are now growing on me.

Now I really wanna hear the whole album.

Most of the album has been played on the Metallica XM station; not too bad. I saw 'Unforgiven III' on the track listing, but havent heard it. I'm betting it sucks. WHy? Because the first two sucked. I'm sort of glad they named it 'Unforgiven III', so I won't waste time allowing it to grow on me and I can just assume it sucks.
Otherwise, drums are less annoying than on Anger, but still a little annoying. As someone stated earlier, the snare is pretty prominent in the mix and comes frequently. Also, I agree with the BNW reference, but won't give Metallica too much credit. They knew what the fans wanted - no mystery there, but they did deliver.

Just heard Unforgiven III. It's f'ing great. Bigtime soaring vocals and melody. Definitely the most radio friendly tune, but still a rocker. So far I've yet to hear anything I don't like. Matter of fact, I'd say everything I've heard kicks f'ing ass. I don't recall the last time I was able to say that about a Metallica album. Probably 1991? Maybe the Binge and Purge boxed set? Devil horn way up on this one so far.

This record is fantastic! One question - the copy I have (yes Lars I will buy it!) has a very slightly low vocal mix. Is this how it's intended, or just because it's not the true final product? Has anyone else found this?

:Smug: ...a little boring and uninspired, kind of "we had to do a better album at last, this is not great, but will have to do" kind of feel.

For us who like Thrash, it's a real disappointment, or maybe not, because I was not expecting much in the first place. I do respect why you might like this, as people's tastes are different. But this recording is certainly not my type. Listen to it first, before buying. It's not energetic, fun Thrash, just letting you know; it just plods along.

Enjoy if you can! I just can't.

Thrash is Back!; or rather Back to Thrash! :headbang:

:Smug: ...a little boring and uninspired, kind of "we had to do a better album at last, this is not great, but will have to do" kind of feel.

For us who like Thrash, it's a real disappointment, or maybe not, because I was not expecting much in the first place. I do respect why you might like this, as people's tastes are different. But this recording is certainly not my type. Listen to it first, before buying. It's not energetic, fun Thrash, just letting you know; it just plods along.

Enjoy if you can! I just can't.

Thrash is Back!; or rather Back to Thrash! :headbang:

How many times have you listened to it? Not being a smart arse either, cause I thought exactly the same after my first listen, but on second, then third, then fourth listens, the record got better and better to me, and now sounds fucking cool!

Bought my copy yesterday..... 2 days early for whatever reason, spent the best part of 5 hours rockin out to it last night..... fucking great album, granted i'm a massive metallica fan but for the first time in 15 odd years i'm not dissapointed in the slightest.... it is a grower mind, you'll not love it on first listen, in my experience most the the best albums are.... my 2 cents.

Ok ... I have a copy of it now. So far so good. I didn't mind Saint Angry (no typo!) ... as I saw it as an improvement on Load and Reload.

This album so far is defo better than all those 3.

Lars has rediscovered his double bass thank God.

Despite my dislike of their path and some of their recent albums they still are one helluva live band. Looking forward to seeing them on tour (as last time I saw them was on the Black Album tour).