death magnetic

have to admit....ive been slaggin em off for years and years....but remained quietly confident they would put out something half decent soon...this album grows on u like a rash...the more u listen...the better it gets...but lars is still a whiney prick

:Smug: ...a little boring and uninspired, kind of "we had to do a better album at last, this is not great, but will have to do" kind of feel.

For us who like Thrash, it's a real disappointment, or maybe not, because I was not expecting much in the first place. I do respect why you might like this, as people's tastes are different. But this recording is certainly not my type. Listen to it first, before buying. It's not energetic, fun Thrash, just letting you know; it just plods along.

Enjoy if you can! I just can't.

Thrash is Back!; or rather Back to Thrash! :headbang:
I agree with most of your post. The only thing I would add is that Metallica had a lot of non-thrash material during the glory days. I wouldn't consider any of the following thrash:

Jump In The Fire
No Remorse
Seek & Destroy
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Fade To Black
Escape
Master Of Puppets
The Thing That Should Not Be
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Leper Messiah

But you're right that it would have been nice to have at least a track or two of old-school thrash.

I have been one of the bigget metallica haters in the world since the Black Album came out. I still have no respect for this guys for what they have done. There is no way around the fact that they sold out. None the less FINALLY after 15 years of TOTAL BULLSHIT records they come back with Death Magnetic that has some VERY GOOD songs on it. There are still a few songs that bore me. But for the most part this album is very good and a return to the pre Black Album Metallica. I seriously hate to do it but I have to give them some props. I still won't buy it, I promised I would never purchase a single thing from Metallica for as long as I live. But I will still listen to the burned copy I have and enjoy it

the album is great, just heard it today with a friend.
they improved their style and it reminds me and justice tracks...
for now, it's a great album.

The album is a good start. It is definetely the best since And Justice For All. I enjoy most of the songs. That being said. There are all these people on the Metallica forums saying how Death Magnetic is better than Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightening, Kill Em All, and Justice. Now that is just insane. It is a good return to some older sounding tunes but in no way shape or form is this better than the 80's albums.

Just bought the album ($19 from JB for all Australians). Loving it now. It's really, really good. After a few listens it just all clicks into gear.

Now for the World Tour - how cool if they took Anthrax on board as support (would delay the new album writing though) but could re-introduce the band to a whole generation of new metal heads.

i highly doubt metallica would take out anthrax again,scott and kirk are good friends but i dont think they would let anthrax blow them off the stage.

i highly doubt metallica would take out anthrax again,scott and kirk are good friends but i dont think they would let anthrax blow them off the stage.

:lol::lol:

I am not a fan of anything Metallica has done since Justice. The new one is pretty good. That being said DanThrax would definetely not blow Metallica off the stage. I saw them open for Iron Maiden and nobody really even paid attention to Anthrax

Hmmm anyone think the album cover artwork looks a lot like a vagina?

I showed it to my girlfriend (her being a non-metal fan) and not knowing even remotely what I was showing her and she says `OMG.... that looks like a ....'

:)

Not sure how I feel about the new stuff. I am trying to get past the resentment for them over the Napster fiasco and the loss of what little respect I had for them after Some Kind Of Monster showed their moist side.
Observations
-Lars has found a use for the dbl bass again but still hasn't found his ride cymbal
-Kirk seems to have toned down the use of his Wah pedal but, still uses it too much
-I like the bass guitar sound/production
-The guitar tone is nothing like I am used to hearing from Metallica. It almost has a Kyuss-esque muddiness to it. I don't know how much I like it.
-Was Lars snare drum over-miked to give the album a more 1980's sound? The snare is so prominent. Everytime he hits it, I am reminded that this band includes Lars Ulrich. Quite possibly the most annoying, whiny, twat in metal.
Kidding aside, I like it. Whoever made the Brave New World reference is spot-on!

I have to agree here.. I thought the album not only had way too much hype, It took them 3 years.. and I just thought it was terrible.. No I didn't buy it, I wouldn't even download this and waste my time with it.. I honestly don't see how everybody can like this.. I heard the official CD though, My cousin had been a Metallica fan (him and I both) science we were both old enough to remember.. He for some unknown reason liked a couple songs off St. Anus. I hate that album with a passion. It's total trash 100%. But even the name "Unforgiven III"??? I wasn't even skeptical of this album, I thought "Ok. Metallica made a crap album last time and their going to turn it around and make a killer one this time". I was quite disappointed. And it isn't even because the album is Thrash at all. I love thrash metal and death metal, I enjoyed a couple songs off Load, Reload, even Garage Inc., Me and my cousin went to the local CD store and he bought it, He'd buy a metallica album if it was just the audio of james taking a shit, that's how lame and obsessed he is with them. He's the rabid metallica fan and I'm the old-scool Joey era Anthrax fanatic. Well we put the CD in his system and listened to a few songs while driving, not saying a word to eachother.. He ended up taking the CD out and asking me if I wanted it cause it was surprisingly the only thing metallica has ever done that he's absolutely hated. So I took it home, listened to it for a few days, It did nothing to me, James just seems like that he can't sing anymore, to me it sounds like he's trying too hard to push himself now, my cousin said "maybe he should start drinking again, cause ever science he quit he just sucks". lol. and of course Lard sucks. I doubt anything on earth will make Lars sound good. This was a store bought disc I was listening to as well.. on a high quality sound system. I think Seabass said it on Supergroup, "You can't polish a turd". that is true. Very true. I don't see what all the excitement is about this CD. At all. Everybody has their own opinions though.. I just don't see this album as anything good, Not even one track on it.. I honestly think that people are looking at the logo and saying "Hey it's 'tallica! They've sold MoP and AjfA so this album HAS to be good right?" I saw somebody say somewhere that 'tallica could record a whole album with nothing but static, no music, just static and maybe james saying "YEAH!" every once in awhile and somehow people would like it, and buy it, and promote it. Hell it would possibly sell a billion copies.
On the other hand, bands that can record a CD after forever, if you are familiar with the old school thrash metal band Laaz Rockit, they put out a new CD called "Left For Dead". That is an album in my opinion that is completely amazing. They came back with a swift kick in the genitals. I bought it and listened to it, the 1st time hearing it I was impressed but it's completely grew on me, Every single track. The song "Erased" especially. Some other bands that put this new 'tallica to shame are Death Angel, Testament (of course), Exodus, and Powermad is working on new material which I am very excited to hear!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I got my hands on a copy of Demo Magnetic....I prefer it over the studio polished album. Amazingly James vocals on the demo blow any vocal performance he's put to tape the last 17 years out of the water. Why dumb down the vocals so fucking much on the studio effort? Craziness.

The alternate lyrics to what became 'Cyanide' make that song one of the best I've heard from them in forfuckingever.