Death Metal 2006

JayKeeley said:
Remember: mid paced > *.*
Cannibal Corpse does some great mid-paced stuff, you have to sorta search for it though. Sentenced to Burn and Orgasm Through Torture come to mind. You'd think I'd upload a sample... :dopey:

NADatar said:
Cannibal Corpse does some great mid-paced stuff, you have to sorta search for it though. Sentenced to Burn and Orgasm Through Torture come to mind. You'd think I'd upload a sample... :dopey:

CC is cool, but I was thinking more along the lines of mid-paced with "groove". You know, the whole fucken Brazilian flare, tribal drumming pouring out at you. I don't think we ever got a real definite answer on what "groove" is in death/thrash metal via the other thread (which means that it's entirely subjective), so to me, mid-paced groove features some of the best metal in history:

Max and Igor Cavelera pretty much mastered it, because I've yet to EVER hear anything that comes close to either BtR or Arise in that department. Sure, Bolt Thrower have that groove-grind, but they lack the flare and ambience.

I mean, it even got to the point where I was thinking it might be a Scott Burns-only attribute, to the point of sifting through tonnes of Scott Burns produced material. I was really hoping I'd find it with Suffocation's "Pierced From Within" just because all the reviews I'd read, but it's not even in the same ballpark. Waaay off the mark.

Another strong example is Slayer (although not as regular as Sepultura). Good examples would be the song, "Blood Red", or that mid-song RIFF-OF-ALL-RIFFS in "Angel of Death".

So at the end of the day, death metal hasn't done much but disappoint me. :erk: Those gems are SO far and few between, god not even power metal is that inconsistent.

CC is cool, but I was thinking more along the lines of mid-paced with "groove". You know, the whole fucken Brazilian flare, tribal drumming pouring out at you. I don't think we ever got a real definite answer on what "groove" is in death/thrash metal via the other thread (which means that it's entirely subjective), so to me, mid-paced groove features some of the best metal in history:

Max and Igor Cavelera pretty much mastered it, because I've yet to EVER hear anything that comes close to either BtR or Arise in that department. Sure, Bolt Thrower have that groove-grind, but they lack the flare and ambience.

I mean, it even got to the point where I was thinking it might be a Scott Burns-only attribute, to the point of sifting through tonnes of Scott Burns produced material. I was really hoping I'd find it with Suffocation's "Pierced From Within" just because all the reviews I'd read, but it's not even in the same ballpark. Waaay off the mark.

Another strong example is Slayer (although not as regular as Sepultura). Good examples would be the song, "Blood Red", or that mid-song RIFF-OF-ALL-RIFFS in "Angel of Death".

So at the end of the day, death metal hasn't done much but disappoint me. :erk: Those gems are SO far and few between, god not even power metal is that inconsistent.

I don't know what the hell JK was talking about here. There's so much mid-paced DM with groove. Even if a little faster, a lot of DM bands will slow down and groove. It is there in Pierced From Within but not as much as Breeding and Effigy (which is groovy as all get-out). And yes, I'm going to keep bumping threads and arguing with ghosts because the only thing going on here for last several months is gay political posts.