Death - the sound of perserverance

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
I don't think its Schuldiners best at all. I much prefer Human, Symbolic and Individual Thought patterns.
Schuldiner was hardly an "amateur", if he really was, do you think that muscians such as Hoglan, Masidval, Reihhhart, LaRoque, Christy and DiGiorgio would have even bothered to work with him?

$$$

Planetary Eulogy said:
Verse/Chorus repeat. Thanks for playing.

Another revisionist historian, I see. Nevermind that Death didn't try its hand at the 'technical' thing until several other bands (notably Atheist) had already been at the game for some time. And, let's not forget that Chuck didn't hop on the bandwagon until he'd recruited two members of Cynic, who brought their style (in a stripped down format, so an amateur like Chuck could keep up) to "his" album.

Sorry, I speak English, not Chatrish, care to clarify?

You have a point. I would still rather listen to death 'human' than Cynic 'focus' which seemed to not be mettalic at all. Athiest still was very metal based while being technical. I doubt chuck wanted to really not resemble his band to an extent.

Death's first real progression 'human' still was not nearly as technical or musically as cynic athiest or nocturnus. Death is a great but I think people exaggerate the bands technically and music ability.

The Greys said:
Death is a great but I think people exaggerate the bands technically and music ability.

How does one exaggerate the abilities of Hoglan and DiGiorgio exactly???

Planetary: $$$ means completely fuck all to me, apart from dollars.:heh:

Brilliant fucking album. Although there might be one or two riffs in there which I think go on for a few bars too long.
But overall I love that thing to death. Even though my favourite Death album has to be human.

The Greys said:
You have a point. I would still rather listen to death 'human' than Cynic 'focus' which seemed to not be mettalic at all. Athiest still was very metal based while being technical. I doubt chuck wanted to really not resemble his band to an extent.

Human, not surprisingly, sounds like a simplified version of Cynic circa 1991 (listen to the demo material - Focus is not the point of reference here). The subsequent albums saw a creeping Coroner influence, so by the time TSoP was recorded, Death had all but become a tribute to Mental Vortex.

Death's first real progression 'human' still was not nearly as technical or musically as cynic athiest or nocturnus.

I don't see anything particularly 'technical' about Nocturnus. Their style was reminiscent of Acheron's: staccato bursts of power chords accented by keyboards and brilliant lead work. Not really surprising, given that the bands shared personnel.

Planetary Eulogy said:
The subsequent albums saw a creeping Coroner influence, so by the time TSoP was recorded, Death had all but become a tribute to Mental Vortex.

Totally loved Coroner, i think i even still have a VHS of them live in Germany somewhere. Mind Boggling stuff.

Heliotropic_Rose said:
I just got this album the other day, it's fucking great, it was the deluxe issue so it has a concert DVD as well!

I was trying to learn "Voice of the Soul" it seems pretty easy and I have most of it down, but it doesn't sound right when I play it with the cd, does anyone know how the tuning is on it, is it like some Dimebag 1/4 step down or something or what, anyone know?

eh? pretty sure Death tuned to D-standard. 1 whole step down.

Planetary Eulogy said:
Human, not surprisingly, sounds like a simplified version of Cynic circa 1991 (listen to the demo material - Focus is not the point of reference here).

I agree with you on this one. Listen to Spiritual Healing and then Human and tell me the Cynic boys were not a massive influence.

All the demos used to be available on the web, i used to have them all on my old work pc. The links to the old mp3 no longer work from that old site.

if you haven't heard cynic, you definitely should. but try to ignore the vocals. chuck was better in that department.
also don't miss out on pestilence.

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
How does one exaggerate the abilities of Hoglan and DiGiorgio exactly???

Planetary: $$$ means completely fuck all to me, apart from dollars.:heh:

My comment was more directed to chuck since it's his band and he was the only non revolving member.

I adore almost everything Death has done and SoP is indeed a cool album, but imho Individual Thought Patterns still is Death's Masterpiece...i've been listening a lot to it.

i aint play this said:
I adore almost everything Death has done and SoP is indeed a cool album, but imho Individual Thought Patterns still is Death's Masterpiece...i've been listening a lot to it.

Its quality IMO. All members contribute something special on it.

Schuldiner
LaRoque
DiGiorgio
Hoglan

what a line up.

Planetary Eulogy said:
Verse/Chorus repeat. Thanks for playing.

Another revisionist historian, I see. Nevermind that Death didn't try its hand at the 'technical' thing until several other bands (notably Atheist) had already been at the game for some time. And, let's not forget that Chuck didn't hop on the bandwagon until he'd recruited two members of Cynic, who brought their style (in a stripped down format, so an amateur like Chuck could keep up) to "his" album.

Sorry, I speak English, not Chatrish, care to clarify?

You sound like _Nile577 from the Nile forums. Are you one and the same? He's said the exact same things.