Death Vs Black

Black Metal or Death Metal?

• Death Metal

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Black Metal

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I dont know. They are both equally good.

Votes: 19 33.9%

• Total voters
What IS black metal? I always thought that Opeth was both black and death. See, I can differentiate between some metal, mainly gothic and death but the rest I don't really know. I am a prog fan, you see. So can someone enlighten me?

nyleve: Ill try to give you a simple history of black metal.

There are 3 kinds of black metal music (IMO).

1st: The 1st kind of black metal was very thrashy and heavy metal sounding, basically because it was taking its roots from them. Bands like Venom, Bathory, Hellhammer, Mayhem, etc were amongst the 1st generation of black metallers in the 80s and early 90s.

2nd: 'A Blaze In The Northern Sky' by Darkthrone is considered the 1st black metal album of the new era if I can say. It is very raw, simplistic, dark yet so effective in its own way. Darkthrone, along with Marduk, Burzum, Emperor and some others helped shape the new face of black metal.

3rd: Then theres the symphonic black metal bands: Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Old Mans Child etc. They are the more popular ones, because they are more accessible. The guitars are basically tremolo picking for the most part, sometimes with keyboards making up the symphonic part of the music.

So all in all, black metal is very dark, mostly raw with screeched vocals, fast drumming and guitar picking and underground.

And yes, Orchid has death and black metal influences in some ways: just the way they do the riffs in some songs.
But hell if you want death metal done by Mikeal, look no further then Bloodbath.

I'd have to say death metal and all of its sub-genres. I like some black metal, especially some symphonic black metal like Dimmu, Old Man's Child, and Arcturus. Black metal does have a lot to offer music-wise. I've tried and tried but I just can't stand most black metal vocals- you know, that high-pitched, raspy, screaming type stuff. If the music is good enough though, I can look past the vocals.

Originally posted by saturnix
black metal has a tendency to be really cheesy and cookie cutter. so much more has been done with death metal....

it depends ---

this is too vague..... death metal as in cookie monster vocals death metal? or ALL kinds of death metal, like melodic death metal, which i dont really consider death metal in the first place, since its not influenced by death metal..........

Confessor: thanks a lot. I listen to Dimmu and Cradle of Filth sometimes, but I've always considered them gothic. Dimmu Borgir is a bit more creative than CoF, but generally both have tendency to bore me quickly. It's all about progressive rock, dude! Prog m4 eva! Let's see how many Anglagard and Anekdoten fans we have here!

Definitely death metal, I like a LOT of black metal, but for me, nothing tops oldschool death metal like Bolt Thrower, Nocturnus, Edge of Sanity, Dismember, Grave, the first 2 Entombed albums, Seance, Massacre, Death, Pestilence, Autopsy, etc. etc.

Death metal.

Who can top Nile, or Morbid Angel... or Bolt Thrower? :headbang:

I'm more of a progressive metal person tho... Give me (Chuck Schuldiner's) Death any day, or Martyr, or Cynic...!

Black metal... hmmm... doesn't do it for me. Sure, i mean, Cradle of Filth is good for the comedy element, and Chutulu Dawn is an awesome song and all, as is Funeral in Carpathia, I wouldn't really class them as one of my favourite bands... same goes with Dimmu Borgir (...except i love 'Mourning Palace'... one of the best songs ever written!)

And i guess Opeth lies in between Black, Death, and Prog. So thats kindof a vote for both death and black.

I don't really see the point in dividing them like that. I'm sure a lot of bands fit into more than one of the subdivisions and I really wouldn't know by listening to a band if they were black or death metal. Just whether I liked them or not :)