Death Vs Black

Black Metal or Death Metal?

• Death Metal

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Black Metal

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I dont know. They are both equally good.

Votes: 19 33.9%

• Total voters
You know, this is most certainly not right, but for some obscure reason I have always divided them like this:

Good music: Death Metal

Poor music: Black Metal

It probably comes down to my earliest confrontations with both styles, but even though I can see my own prejudice here, I can't overcome it. But, well, that's not so important, is it?

My friend also tends to divide all music in two "camps": Rhythmic or Melodic music. Usually BM goes to Rhythmic and DM (especially the "Swedish" DM) goes to Melodic.

-Villain

Mmm, I find that I only like black or death on a band to band basis. My true prefered music is Doom Metal.

Originally posted by Confessor
Villain: theres no such thing as 'swedish medodic death metal'
hahah it doesnt exist! because basically death metal is not melodic godammit!!!! :devil:

oh btw, black metal can be melodic
:devil:

Well, what do you call it then, Swedish metallish folk-music? ;)

And yes, black metal can be quite melodic - but ask a "true northern darkness winterfrost black-metallist", if any of the melodic black metal bands are truly black metal? :)

-Villain (np: Unanimated - "Mireille" (death metal))

Originally posted by SentencedToBurn
WHat you guys think is better? Black Metal or Death Metal? I would have to say i like them both the same since i like some black and some death. what you guys think.

I think death is better as more technical and interesting music. I like black too and have nothing against it as a music, but death seems to me more powerfull. What about melody, I think music must give emotions, no matter how. Popshit has no emotions and no soul, I hate it, but every musician, that gives his music a part of his soul is really creator. Check SUFFOCATION "Pierced from within", you won't regret!

Originally posted by godisanathiest
I don't see the attraction of music if its not melodic. I mean if there's no melody, whats the point in listening?

rhythm can also predominate and make pretty cool music. Just listen to older Death, Possessed, Pestilence, Atheist, Bolt Thrower, later Carcass, Venom, Bathory, Carpathian Forest, early Burzum, etc.

Everything is on a band-to-band basis.

I really like Morbid Angel, but I can't stand most other bands like them. I need something with a very individual style, and in MA, the intense guitar work and blindingly fast drumming are what pulled me in (Well, Desolate Ways did, I love when a band can turn around and do something like that).

And while I likeD CoF, and do like older Old Man's Child a lot, I've never been able to get into Dimmu Borgir, and I don't know why. Music has to speak to me, and I tend to be VERY selective about it these days. I'll listen to anything, but I won't listen to it twice if it doesn't sink in at all the first time.

So death/black/doom/gore etc, they're all capable of being good, it's just up to whomever is behind the wheel.

Originally posted by Leper Affinity
rhythm can also predominate and make pretty cool music. Just listen to older Death, Possessed, Pestilence, Atheist, Bolt Thrower, later Carcass, Venom, Bathory, Carpathian Forest, early Burzum, etc.

I will do if I get the chance :) The thing is I find often bandswith no melody also play so ridiculously fast there's not much rhythm either!