Death

<crimson> said:
i dont know the difference between bass and fretless bass, soundwise?..
youre a primus fan right? Les plays a fretless on *at least* one track of "Sailing....". id look it up for you but im way too lazy. fretless just sounds a lot smoother. i dont care for it myself.

ænimated said:
Get Cryptopsy - None So Vile as well.
i second this. i dont listen to much death metal because everything i try is repetitive, boring, and sophomoric. cryptopsy, however, rules. if i could emulate anyone, it would be any of the guys in cryptopsy. except lord worm. i found myself wishing he would leave the stage. some death vocals are too boring to exist.

<crimson> said:
i dont know the difference between bass and fretless bass, soundwise?..

it's one of those things thats hard to explain without you actually hearing it. Like dorian said, fretless bass is a lot smoother and less punchy. The best way I can describe it is "growl" - a lot of mids, usually tends to cut through real well. Check out the bass on "Face of Melinda" or "To Bid you Farewell", or download "Call me Al" by Paul Simon off of "Graceland" - that's your typical fretless sound.

haggard said:
or "To Bid you Farewell"
ahh, good call. forgot about that one. a great example of that farty-mid sound. theres also some fretless on Fates Warning's "APoSoG".

Listen Steve DiGiorgio if you want to hear frettles bass.Check some Vintersorg songs like "Spegelsfahren","The Explorer","A microscopical microcosm" (All The Vintersorg songs which Steve Digiorgio played)

I would have to say that my favorite Death era was the Human/Individual Thought Patterns era. Human is just one of the heaviest records in existence, it just totally rips my face off and Individual Thought Patterns just balances melodic jazz playing and bone crushing riffs really well. RIP Chuck and Death.

You don't have to worry about it, people have been accusing me so often of being a man that I've finished for believing it. :tickled:
Anyhow, I don't believe because I like Antimatter you must believe in my judgment, but thank you anyway... :lol:

Alternative 3 said:
EDIT 2 - Luz isn't a guy, and she likes Antimatter so Im going to trust her judgement.

Luz said:
You don't have to worry about it, people have been accusing me so often of being a man that I've finished for believing it. :tickled:
Anyhow, I don't believe because I like Antimatter you must believe in my judgment, but thank you anyway... :lol:
Stop believing it?! You're hot, Luz. :p

Haha, pwned.

@Topic
Death? Great band although a bit too repetitive in using riffs and song structures.

The sound of Perseverance has some totally fucked up instrumental things on it, mainly the insane drum parts.

BACK ON THE TOPIC OF FRETLESS BASS

Yeah, Steve DiGiorgio is by far my favorite bassist. But I'm almost positive that his solo on The Explorer is not done with a fretless. A better example of fretless would be the song A Microscopical Microchosm.