Defining how heavy certain music is

mutantllama

Nov 24, 2005
Maine
Once in a while I see "Who is the heaviest band" threads pop up on this forum, and usually I see a wide variety from something slow and doomy like Candlemass to something brutal like Wormed. Obviously these bands are very different. So to you what defines how heavy something is? To me, usually it's played in a slow tempo, guitars are low tuned and has a sludgy feel to it.

WHAT DEFINES HEAVY MUSIC:

BURNING CHURCHES, MURDER, SELF SODOMY, POINTY/SHARP THINGS, ANIMAL BLOOD, AND DEDICATING ON A NUN ON DURING THE SABBATH. HEAVYYYYYY

BRUTALITY IS ALL ABOUT THE NAME AND ALBUM ART DOODZ, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MUSIC

EXAMPLE:

theanvil.jpg

Once in a while I see "Who is the heaviest band" threads pop up on this forum, and usually I see a wide variety from something slow and doomy like Candlemass to something brutal like Wormed. Obviously these bands are very different. So to you what defines how heavy something is? To me, usually it's played in a slow tempo, guitars are low tuned and has a sludgy feel to it.

Not to sully this thread by contributing a rational post :)cool:), but I think you have to consider the decade in which the band performed. For instance, I think that Sabbath can definitely be considered one of the heaviest bands ever, simply because when their first record came out it was the heaviest fucking thing anyone had heard.

Then Masters of Reality came out, and I think that has a much heavier sound to it then their first one. Lower tuning for me has a huge effect on how heavy something sounds.

A deep guitar sound isn't enough, otherwise Aghora would be heavier than Behemoth (B versus Cb iirc); dynamics and production are hugely important.

Not to sully this thread by contributing a rational post :)cool:), but I think you have to consider the decade in which the band performed. For instance, I think that Sabbath can definitely be considered one of the heaviest bands ever, simply because when their first record came out it was the heaviest fucking thing anyone had heard.

I agree with this post.

which would make Bach the heaviest/experimental dood of his decade, and franz liszt aswell