Lyrical Content > Music?

Sociologically, women pay more attention to lyrics than men, but I don't mean that as anything personal.

haha that's kind of true. :loco:

I'm a girl and I pay attention to the lyrics.

BUUUT, this is what I say. I really like it when metal bands can make great lyrics, whether they be angry ones, gory lyrics, sad lyrics, or just meaningful lyrics. If I want gory lyrics...they have to be well written. Cannibal Corpse does not have well written gore lyrics, their's are just stupid which is a real big turn off for me actually...but I don't like the brutal death metal so it doesn't matter, if I liked their sound though...I probably wouldn't listen because they seem so stupid lol but any other band I would still listen to them if I liked the sound but not the lyrics

anyways, I like it when lyrics make sense and when they have good meaning behind them or when bands have a great way of saying things. Though, if a band does not have the best lyricists, I do not stop listening to them of course.
The only time I don't listen to a band because of lyrics is when the lyrics are anti christian. Yeah, I'm a Christian and I prefer not to hear stuff that's anti christian but that's a totally different discussion :p

soooo....what I'm saying is this, lyrics are really important, but if you aren't the best songwriter I will still listen...just that I guess being a girl, I still look at the lyrics and want to find something behind them whether it be anger, sadness, or whatever.

How do you manage to avoid anti-christian lyrics?

I used to get a little freaked out by extreme lyrics. Now I really don't mind. For example, Slayer's reign in blood scared me a bit at first. Now I'm buying albums called "Orgasm Induced Diarrhea"

orgasm induced diarrhea. :lol:

what do you mean how do I manage to avoid anti christian lyrics? There's plenty of metal bands that don't have anti christian lyrics...I mostly stay away from the black metal and yeah I know there are BM bands that dont have anti christian themes but I generally don't like the drums or the raspy vocals. thats beside the point though...I'm all for extreme lyrics, I just don't want them to say how much you hate God or how much you hate Christians. I found a BM band I liked alot and they had songs such as "Hellfucked" which I was cool with, I'm not uptight about it...until I saw they had more songs with names like "Fukkthebloodofchrist" THAT I am not cool with.

so, it's not so much I hate extreme lyrics...just the anti christian ones. which there are plenty metal bands without them so I'm happy :kickass:

The only time I don't listen to a band because of lyrics is when the lyrics are anti christian. Yeah, I'm a Christian and I prefer not to hear stuff that's anti christian but that's a totally different discussion

There is no need for a discussion. It is well known that anyone who doesn't raise their pain tolerance when it comes to such things is a complete fucking wuss.

There is no need for a discussion. It is well known that anyone who doesn't raise their pain tolerance when it comes to such things is a complete fucking wuss.

mmhm. sure :rolleyes:

I'm sorry that God means more to me than some lyrics in a song. I know not everyone else believes in Him but I do, and my beliefs matter to me. I'm not gonna sit here and argue though. so whatever.

:headbang:

I don't care what you believe, there is absolutely NO reason why one can not raise their tolerance for such things in regards to art. I'm not asking you to denounce your little imaginary friend, I'm just saying that it doesn't lessen your faith in your friend, it doesn't make you a bad 'friend' to him, etc. if you just raise up your ability to just say 'fuck it' and deal with it.

I know it doesn't lessen my faith and I'm not afraid of it lol but that was kind of rude for you to say "your imaginary friend" would you listen to music that denounces everything you stand for? Those people that hate christians and God...would they run out and listen to Christian metal that praises God every second?

I don't like religion brought in metal at all :rolleyes:
I don't listen to Christian metal cause I don't wanna hear "praise God! praise God!" but I also don't wanna hear "fuck god!" as I look at Him as my Father cause that's what the Bible says. so yeah, sorry if I offended you or something.

I look at Him as my Father cause that's what the Bible says.

:lol: Think for yourself dumbass.

And for the record, I listen to a good few bands that are Christian, so your point doesn't help you stand your ground very well.

orgasm induced diarrhea. :lol:

what do you mean how do I manage to avoid anti christian lyrics? There's plenty of metal bands that don't have anti christian lyrics...I mostly stay away from the black metal and yeah I know there are BM bands that dont have anti christian themes but I generally don't like the drums or the raspy vocals. thats beside the point though...I'm all for extreme lyrics, I just don't want them to say how much you hate God or how much you hate Christians. I found a BM band I liked alot and they had songs such as "Hellfucked" which I was cool with, I'm not uptight about it...until I saw they had more songs with names like "Fukkthebloodofchrist" THAT I am not cool with.

so, it's not so much I hate extreme lyrics...just the anti christian ones. which there are plenty metal bands without them so I'm happy :kickass:
Orgasm Induced Diarrhea by Goratory = excellent brutal death. not satanic, if you wanna check it out.

Anyhow.

What about stuff that isn't Glen Benton bullshit? What about something like Amon Amarth's Thousand Years of Oppression, which is definitely anti-Christian but rather than just being about killing Jesus is a complaint based in history?

Also, will you simply not listen to a band if they have any anti-Christian lyrics at all? I mean, I understand not liking certain Amon Amarth songs like Masters of War or The Sound of Eight Hooves that are intensely and irrationally anti-Christian, but the majority of their stuff is just about Vikings and dying in battle.

Shut up. People are entitled to have their religion without being fucking attacked for it. Vashti seems perfectly intelligent to me. Fucking accept differences, ok?

And for the record, I listen to a good few bands that are Christian, so your point doesn't help you stand your ground very well.

dude what's your problem? I'm a dumbass now? that's just my BELIEF...just cause you don't believe it, doesn't make it wrong.

I didn't say "do YOU go listen to christian bands" I said did the people that hate God and christians listen to christian bands. I don't think you hate christians...do you? it didn't seem like it, you seem like a regular guy to me. I'm talking about the people that do hate them. and if you do hate christians well then okay.

btw, I think if you want to continue this discussion we should do it in private message cause this thread is about how important lyrics are to music and we really aren't contributing to that. lol

Shut up. People are entitled to have their religion without being fucking attacked for it. Vashti seems perfectly intelligent to me. Fucking accept differences, ok?

They are entitled to their religion, but to say 'LOL I BELIVE THIS BECUZ THE BIBLE TOLD ME' is such a joke.

Frankly, I think that debate played out because everyone agreed that music > lyrics.
Ignore morons like mort.

And for the record it's possible to hate christianity or the catholic church without hating christians.

@mort: Why do you believe in Newton's theory of gravity?
BECAUSE A FUCKING BOOK SAID SO.
We get our information from books. The bible is a book. If you're taught something by your parents then really it's not being retarded to wind up believing it.

Orgasm Induced Diarrhea by Goratory = excellent brutal death. not satanic, if you wanna check it out.

Anyhow.

What about stuff that isn't Glen Benton bullshit? What about something like Amon Amarth's Thousand Years of Oppression, which is definitely anti-Christian but rather than just being about killing Jesus is a complaint based in history?

Also, will you simply not listen to a band if they have any anti-Christian lyrics at all? I mean, I understand not liking certain Amon Amarth songs like Masters of War or The Sound of Eight Hooves that are intensely and irrationally anti-Christian, but the majority of their stuff is just about Vikings and dying in battle.

thanks for standing up for me.

uhm, no I like Amon Amarth. I just won't listen to the songs that have anti christian stuff in them. I really like Heir To The Vikings and Cry Of The Blackbirds.

will I simply not like a band if they have anti christian lyrics at all? No...I like a couple bands that have made a song or 2 dedicated to christians and how they don't like them but if that isn't the general lyric theme of their music, I will listen. :kickass:

The difference being there are things to support the existance of gravity.

All we got is a book to support God.

In that case, I believe in the Famous Five, and animals that can talk and have little villages.