Definition of OLD School

wildfyr said:
:lol: Cool! Got a pic of yourself in your loaded up big pants :D

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I apologize for the absence but I've actually had things to do away from the computer! :loco:

Since this Old School forum is part of a larger METAL community of forums, then Old School Metal it is. Right? Whenever I hear or read that term it always reminds me of the guy in the devil costume in the Pantera video when he goes, "Dime...drink whiskey, play blackjack and listen olddd schoooool metal" :D

I still think that what is OSM is relative to the individual but can someone pinpoint when it was exactly that Heavy Metal became Metal? I used to refer to some bands as Heavy Metal when I first heard them and somewhere along the line they became Metal, or Power Metal.

Any other genre splits that can be identified will be welcome in this thread. For instance: Death Metal. I first heard this term used to describe early Slayer and Venom! Also, what is the concensus on Sabbath? Some do not acknowledge their "Metalness" and it makes me wonder why sometimes.

Anyone care to comment further? ;)

Metal and Heavy Metal are one and the same.. but it came into being in my opinion with Black Sabbath's first album no doubt... I used to think it was with Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple as well but i just consider them just hard rock for the times when they first came out.. to me Black Sabbath were the first metal band.. as for Power Metal i tend to think of Maiden as the originators of that as Sabbath were the originators of regular metal..

As for Slayer and Venom being classified Death Metal .. nope.. they were called Black Metal back in the early to mid 80's and maybe a little further then that.. though you will be hard pressed to find any BM fan's nowadays call them that.. but they were the originators of that whether BM fans like to admit it or not with some other bands as well like Bathory and Celtic Frost... compared to today's BM bands , Venom and Slayer are more old school Thrash.. but if you grew up in the 80's especially the early to mid 80's till perhaps 1987 they were black metal for its time.. only band that i hear or still hear being called Death Metal in that early era was/is the band Possessed... they are considered the originators of Death by some people along with other bands just after them...

As for Sabbath and not acknowledging their metalness... you have to remember that the people who are saying that for the most part are teenagers or early 20's people who grew up in a different metal era therefore they compare the past with the present to classify things.. so for them Sabbath is not metal compared to someone like Pantera for instance.. just a example.. or whatever metal band is the flavor of today... but like it or not or acknowledge it or not Sabbath were/are the originators of metal and if they had not existed I often wonder what metal would be today if it would of ever existed at all... I wouldnt be surprised if the same thing will be said about Maiden in like 10 years from now.. <shrugs> ... :kickass: :wave:

zeppelin said:
Clammy and JonnyD, I know you're not old, but you see there is a defenite generation gap between us and the Kornlovers(no offence) I'm only 27, I just feel I don't relate to most of the people over at the GMD and ind probably boils down to my liking of older music, why? Probably cause I am older than most of them, and so is the lot of you, and that is why we hang out here no matter how young we feel :loco:

PS Clammy - I wish I was a teenager in the 80's :worship:

yep zeppelin,being a ttenager in the 80's was,metal wise,just about the best thing that could happen,although i think hawk would probably disagree(seeing as he was a teenager in the 1880's!)if you like the older styles,then theres no better part of um to be on.

baldyboy said:
although i think hawk would probably disagree(seeing as he was a teenager in the 1880's!)

:lol: Poor Hawk!!

You need to get some one older to join this board Hawk.... maybe then these bastards would get off your back. :) ..... but I doubt it. :)

zeppelin said:
Clammy and JonnyD, I know you're not old, but you see there is a defenite generation gap between us and the Kornlovers(no offence) I'm only 27, I just feel I don't relate to most of the people over at the GMD and ind probably boils down to my liking of older music, why? Probably cause I am older than most of them, and so is the lot of you, and that is why we hang out here no matter how young we feel :loco:

PS Clammy - I wish I was a teenager in the 80's :worship:

:D hahahahaha I know exzactly what you mean I was Just Fuckin with ya ...

baldyboy said:
yep zeppelin,being a ttenager in the 80's was,metal wise,just about the best thing that could happen,although i think hawk would probably disagree(seeing as he was a teenager in the 1880's!)if you like the older styles,then theres no better part of um to be on.

BALDY! Hawk wasnt a Teenager in The 1880's ... it was the 1680's Jeeeeezzz get your facts straight! ;) .... Anyways I was a Teen in america in the 90's did it suck being one of the only Metal Heads around? for the Most part yes .... BUT! the nice part and this was always nice Nobody Fucks with the Pysco Drunk MetalHead! atleast not around here hahahaha everybody thought I was Insane :D ...... and your right there is NO better part to be of UM to be on :worship: