Deliverance vs. Ghost Reveries.

Deliverance vs. Ghost Reveries

• Deliverance

Votes: 83 41.7%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 116 58.3%

• Total voters
Any Opeth album is as good as any other!!

I am not a fanboy or noob or whatever else.

But i can only listen to 1 at a time.

If i could figure out how to play all 8 cd at 1 time to listen, i would!

(Except for Orchid. The transaition just leave a little something to be desired, is all. But it's still better than 98% of everything else! And yes, it is 98% because i've done scientific studies, so dont try to argue that point.)

I definitly agree , its so lame to try to choose the best album.. From MAYH there is When of my god .. GR , the bayibg of the hounds from deliverance there is A fair judgement.

They all are perfect in opeth way :p

But if we can choose we best songs it would be Face of Melinda and Baying Of the hounds for me.

Deliverance.

The solos and general guitar work on Deliverance appeals to me more than that of Ghost Reveries.

I couldnt really say if the guitar work is actually better, as i don't know enough about it, but i just get that feeling. It's also my fav Opeth album ..

An Absent Friend said:
I definitly agree , its so lame to try to choose the best album.. From MAYH there is When of my god .. GR , the bayibg of the hounds from deliverance there is A fair judgement.

They all are perfect in opeth way :p

but some things in life are more thought-out, well-written and practiced, and overall BETTER, arent they? so it's not that much of a useless discussion. even though i really love deliverance, i would never want opeth to make a record of that sort again...they are a band capable of producing still life, ghost reveries, blackwater park etc. so why should they lower their standarts?

but funnily, and very interestingly, their lowest standart -which happens to be deliverance in my opinion- is an album that even the bestest metal bands wouldnt/couldnt dream of. my 2 cents

Don Corleone said:
but some things in life are more thought-out, well-written and practiced
I think that's my issue with GR. It sounds so thought-out that it gets boring. The only tracks that I really like are Ghost of Perdition and Atonement.

Deliverance for me, easily.

DegradationTrip said:
I think that's my issue with GR. It sounds so thought-out that it gets boring. The only tracks that I really like are Ghost of Perdition and Atonement.

Deliverance for me, easily.

you share my exact opinion. (and blimey's too actually)

spot on dude :D

Reveries has higher highs, Deliverance more consistent. In the end there's only so many times I can listen to Perdition and Hounds........Deliverance takes it.

well u'r comparing 2 of da best albums of opeth anyway i cant decide :D deliverance i like in it:"deliverance-master-by pain i c -wreth" dat's mean all da album :) & about gr i like the three legendary parts & The Grand Conjuration but i'll choose deliverance as dat was da first album i listened to opeth ;) \m/

blimey said:
I wouldn't say that. They're both sub-par for Opeth.

blimey, funny, I saw your tag 'Arriving Somewhere', a SW track, excellent, but where are you coming from, I would think that a SW fan would find both an improvement and a progression from before. Explain in under 50 words.

Ken Lyall said:
blimey, funny, I saw your tag 'Arriving Somewhere', a SW track, excellent, but where are you coming from, I would think that a SW fan would find both an improvement and a progression from before. Explain in under 50 words.

Well I'm a bigger Opeth fan than a SW fan, but sure.

Deliverance is a forced album. It's quite obvious to see that the band put it together in a hurry. The production is quite bad, however, Deliverance remains one of my favorite Opeth songs.

Ghost Reveries is very formulaic. Heavy, soft, heavy soft, heavy, soft. No abruptness. GoP, R/HF and BotH are really similar songs. They both have quite intolerable interludes in them which really bore the crap out of me. On the other hand, I really like Atonement and parts of GoP and R/HF. I just feel as if Opeth has lost the emotion that they had on previous albums.

Still Life/BWP/MAYH/Morningrise are really just amazing, almost flawless albums.

My 2 cents.

(although, comparing Deliverance and GR to the other crap thats out there, it beats 98% of it)