Favorite Opeth Ballad **UPDATE**

What is your favorite Opeth "ballad"? (2008 version)

• To Bid You Farewell

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Credence

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Benighted

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Face Of Melinda

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Harvest

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Patterns In The Ivy II

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • A Fair Judgment

• Hours Of Wealth

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Isolation Years

• Burden

Votes: 14 12.6%

• Total voters

achip

Oct 23, 2006
OK, since many of you were complaining about the lack of songs off of Deliverance, Ghost Reveries, and Watershed in the last "best ballads" poll, I thought it was time to do another...

I choose Patterns in the Ivy II.

burden is their own ballad together with maybe isolation years.

Obvious choice for me, Burden. Its much more epic and much more ballad-like than isolation years is, isolation is arguably a better song but not in terms of "ballad"

EDIT: There is a significant difference between ballad and "mellow" heh.

i voted isolation years ... but really, in all these best-song polls i can't really choose because there too many songs that are equally great. choosing one is not fair judgement.

Man, they are all Good!!!

But I would have to pick Benighted as my favorite, even though they all are my favorite....damn!

Objectively, it'd be a tie between Face of Melinda and Hours of Wealth. But I have to choose just one, and Face of Melinda means a lot to me, so I finally went for it.

Out of those, Facial of Melinda.

I don't count it as a ballad, though. At least the parts of it which make it the best Opeth song for me aren't the mellow parts.

Where is "Still Day Beneath The Sun", "Coil"?... i don't know if "Ballad" is the right term [1) "Any light, simple song, esp. one of sentimental or romantic character, having two or more stanzas all sung to the same melody"; 2) "A sentimental or romantic popular song". From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ballad ]... maybe "Mellow" songs

According to this definition, I think 'Coil' would fit into the 'ballad' category.