Den Svensk Tråd

paradoxile said:
maybe it's a male,female thing like in other languages?
en barn, ett flicka or is it the other way arround?

no it's not...
it's:
EN pojke
EN flicka

both are "EN" so you cant make that a rule either...

but if you are uncertain you should always take two like: "två öl" :)

In general "ett" is used when the noun has the same singular and plural form, as in ett träd, flera träd (one tree, many tress), but of course it's not always that case (you never thought it would be THAT easy, did you). For example, ett äpple, flera äpplen (one apple, many apples).

And the other way too of course... When the noun has different singular and plural forms, "en" is usually used. As in en tråd, flera trådar (one thread, many threads). But it wouldn't be any fun without any exceptions would it? So here we go: en domare, flera domare (one judge, many judges).

The rules and exceptions in the Swedish language are quite tricky and very hard to learn unless you spend some time in Sweden or talk with swedes on a regular basis.

On the other hand, you won't make a total fool of yourself if you use "ett" instead of "en". People will probably correct you, but they will at least understand what you mean. Think of it as someone saying "a apple" instead of "an apple"... you understand it but it sounds a bit odd =)

I don't expect from myself a flawless dialogue.I expect to be able to understan what I'm told and to be able to answer.
it's much nicer to adress someone in his own language like this:
förlåta mig , hur göra jag komma till Dan Swanö hus?

I'm sure I said it wrong

paradoxile said:
I don't expect from myself a flawless dialogue.I expect to be able to understan what I'm told and to be able to answer.
it's much nicer to adress someone in his own language like this:
*nod* I know what you mean. When I was in Turkey, I learned how to order food and to understand how much things cost, etc. :) I'm sure I totally slaughtered the language, but people usually understood what I wanted. ;)
paradoxile said:
förlåta mig , hur göra jag komma till Dan Swanö hus?

I'm sure I said it wrong
That was pretty darn good. People will understand you without any problems. :)

It was pretty darn close. If you use the same words, but conjugate them differently, you'll get:
Förlåt mig, hur gör jag för att komma till Dan Swanö's hus.

But you can also use other words. This is probably how a swede would ask the question (there are millions of variations though):
Ursäkta, hur hittar jag Dan Swanö's hus?

Stilgar said:
*nod* I know what you mean. When I was in Turkey, I learned how to order food and to understand how much things cost, etc. :) I'm sure I totally slaughtered the language, but people usually understood what I wanted. ;)

That was pretty darn good. People will understand you without any problems. :)

It was pretty darn close. If you use the same words, but conjugate them differently, you'll get:
Förlåt mig, hur gör jag för att komma till Dan Swanö's hus.

But you can also use other words. This is probably how a swede would ask the question (there are millions of variations though):
Ursäkta, hur hittar jag Dan Swanö's hus?

hittar is founding...how do I found Dan's house?
i'll found it from bricks

I can write a little and understand a little what is written(with the use of the Almighty dictionary) I can pretend I'm deaf-mute guy and communicate through notes with people from sweden

paradoxile said:

:lol:

Hittar is a form of hitta.

Hitta = Find (Find the way! = Hitta vägen!)

Hittar = Find/Finding (I will find the way = jag hittar (or: kommer att hitta) vägen / I'm finding the way = jag hittar vägen...) it's all about tempus or whatever you call it. I'm no expert though :p

Hittat = Found (I have found the way = Jag har hittat vägen)

Something like that =)

paradoxile said:

I can write a little and understand a little what is written(with the use of the Almighty dictionary) I can pretend I'm deaf-mute guy and communicate through notes with people from sweden

I guess the dictionary you are using are refering to the word "grund" or "grunda" wich means found or founding in terms of housebuilding. But the word "grund" can mean a lot of diffrent things: reason, shallow, foundation...

(I can't help thinking of the famous Monty Pyton sketch with the man comming in to a tobaccoshop with a useless hungarian/english dictionary:loco: )

Good luck with your studies:Spin:

Maron said:
I guess the dictionary you are using are refering to the word "grund" or "grunda" wich means found or founding in terms of housebuilding. But the word "grund" can mean a lot of diffrent things: reason, shallow, foundation...

(I can't help thinking of the famous Monty Pyton sketch with the man comming in to a tobaccoshop with a useless hungarian/english dictionary:loco: )

thanks Erik

Maron said:

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Zephyros said:
If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?
You want to come home to my place, bouncy bouncy?

:D And now to something completly different! :D

Hoho...Monty Python..:p
'I will not buy this record. It is scratched.'

'The Hungarian phrase "Can you direct me to the railway station" is translated as "Please fondle my buttocks."'

Damn! I need to watch that sketch again. Time to bring out the Monty Python DVD collection. :)

Stilgar said:
'I will not buy this record. It is scratched.'

'The Hungarian phrase "Can you direct me to the railway station" is translated as "Please fondle my buttocks."'

Damn! I need to watch that sketch again. Time to bring out the Monty Python DVD collection. :)

"Drop your panties, Sir William; I cannot wait 'til lunchtime" "I am no longer infected" :D "My nipples explode with delight!":D

Jag måste spendera mitt studiestöd på Monty Python Dvd's denna månad:loco:

ok... back to swedish
I got me a swedish tutor...he's teaching me swedish pronounciation.
his name is TOM...but his real name begins with a D...his identity will remain unknown(yeah right).
he's got a special tutoring music called "Svenk för nybörjare(Inte som andra barn)"
Thanks to the lyrics on his site tom*****.se and the catchy tunes I think I'll get this whole pronounciation thingy under control...

oh and to the rest of you
Den är inte en Monty Python tråd...den är SKIT TRÅD:D:D

I listened a bit to Tom Nouga the other day here...
I like very much the song "Brända skepp" (burnt boats or something...) and "Piska Mig (med lagom mycket gummi)"

but my personal favourite is "tystnad skapar legender"
It's a brilliant song... I just love it!

paradoxile said:
ok... back to swedish
I got me a swedish tutor...he's teaching me swedish pronounciation.
his name is TOM...but his real name begins with a D...his identity will remain unknown(yeah right).
he's got a special tutoring music called "Svenk för nybörjare(Inte som andra barn)"
Thanks to the lyrics on his site tom*****.se and the catchy tunes I think I'll get this whole pronounciation thingy under control...

oh and to the rest of you
Den är inte en Monty Python tråd...den är SKIT TRÅD:D:D
Excuse me for my behavior...
It's good to see that your learning Swedish..:headbang:
Correction: "Den är inte en Monty Python tråd...det är en SKIT TRÅD

Zephyros said:
Correction: "Den är inte en Monty Python tråd...det är en SKIT TRÅD

Ehm, that sounds kind of wrong. "Det här (or detta) är inte en Monty Python tråd... det är en SKIT TRÅD." would be correct if he meant "This is not a Monty Python topic, it's a shit/shitty topic". ;)

This may be a bit too much to learn at this "stage", but you write together words that are pronounced like one word, like skit tråd = skittråd, because you do not pause between skit and tråd. Another example is Monty Python tråd, that should be written as Monty Python-tråd (feels strange to not use an hyphen there, 'cause you put a name and a word together). Although, there are alot of swedish people who don't know when this rule applies either, so you don't really have to mind this before you are almost fluently speaking Swedish.