DEVILDRIVER and SOIL Confirmed for CHICAGO POWERFEST 2009

Yeah, sucks that you didn't go to the Atheist/Solitude Aeturnus lineup. I saw it, it was fantastic... The lineup for that fits my tastes far more than this year's, but I'm not bitching about it. I'm flying there and having a good time.

Wow, what kind of camaraderie could you have at Wacken?? Aren't there 60,000 people there each day?? I've seen photos from Wacken and there were plenty of rough/meathead types there too. You're going to get that at any fest you go to....unless the fest in question is made up of a bunch of elitist assholes who just stand around as if it were a jazz concert.

Give me a place with a bunch of thrashers with moshpits and excitement over a boring ass crowd any day.

The folks in Europe get into their shows, but they seem to have a little more concern for the people standing next to them .. or so it seemed. Maybe it depends on the style of music?

Wacken had a lot of metal camaraderie actually ... people tended to gravitate to us a bit. It was a neat experience. They were pretty interested in us Americans, and were amazed that we would come to their country to attend a music festival.

Honestly I never saw a fight the single time there, and people in general seemed a bit less hostile than what you see at a lot of US shows.

I did notice some rowdy folks here and there, but it seemed to be a very small percent .. far less of a percent than the Testament/IE crowd at Powerfest. I saw several people get booted each night.

I don't mind some moshing, and headbanging, but I don't like getting shoved around, and getting whipped in the eyes with peoples shitty hair. Have a little respect for the people around you .. ya know?

About camaraderie ..... Powerfest has changed their style so many times now that I think there are only a small group of people who come year in and year out. I will probablly skip this year, but I attended last year. I skipped '07, but attended the two fests prior to that one. It's just a hit and miss deal for me, whereas say .. Prog Power .. is more of a can't miss type deal for me. The same folks go year after year, and there is a camaraderie about it. Powerfest lacks that .. in my opinion.

Britt

The folks in Europe get into their shows, but they seem to have a little more concern for the people standing next to them .. or so it seemed.

Wacken had a lot of metal camaraderie actually ... people tended to gravitate to us a bit. It was a neat experience. They were pretty interested in us Americans, and were amazed that we would come to their country to attend a music festival.

Honestly I never saw a fight the single time there, and people in general seemed a bit less hostile than what you see at a lot of US shows.

I did notice some rowdy folks here and there, but it seemed to be a very small percent .. far less of a percent than the Testament/IE crowd at Powerfest. I saw several people get booted each night.

I don't mind some moshing, and headbanging, but I don't like getting shoved around, and getting whipped in the eyes with peoples shitty hair. Have a little respect for the people around you .. ya know?

Britt

Theres a reason for that.
1. The Europeans who are not interested in you or other Americans won't talk to you.
2. Youve been unlucky, even the crust shows where practically anything goes there is still consideration for ppl around you. And that is in the Infernal City and even Detroit that gets a bad wrap and shit.
3. I'd like to consider any1 I deem cool and into at least some of the metal I like extended family. I am sure I'm not the only American who does or thinks that.
4. Europeans won't get as rowdy because they know how to hold their booze.
get some1 too drunk and no matter how nice they are something stupid will happen. Its the lifestyle and responsibility that most Europeans have when drinking.
Here its get drunk because you can now legally from at least 6 years of feeling oppressed by the man, that you have to drink illegally before.

That and you are comparing Wacken to CPF whereas you couldn't see all of the possible rowdiness. Comparing them is not truly valid.

5. If you want to be upfront and see the bands like I do. Its a small price to pay when it comes to some hair or bumping.

About camaraderie, If I was able too I probably would have went to every CPF short of before the International/National acts came on. (no offense to Ion Vein)

You want to have the cake and eat it too.

Shit happens, but being a Metalhead (to some degree) already sets the bar for companionship, all that matters is taste and how many patches/studs/nails youve got.

When we played Graspop last summer, I found the crowd overall to be excellent, one of the best vibes at a large show I've ever seen. I'd have people coming up to me talking to me not only because of the band, but even just because I was wearing a cool t-shirt they liked, or just because they wanted to make friends. You certainly don't come across that quite as much at the shows here in the U.S.

And the other half of the time there, I admit, was people coming up to me because they thought I was Andy from My Dying Bride.... *sigh* LOL

I don't think people at the Euro fests are generally quite so quick to turn their noses up at each other for things, while I'm sure there's plenty of people who are more into one genre than another, it just seems much more mixed up. Wasn't uncommon to see a kid in a Devildriver t-shirt also wearing a jean jacket with a Maiden or Slayer patch on the back, and so forth. Whereas sometimes I'll hear people at the U.S. shows totally talking shit about other attendees just because "that fag is wearing a Korn t-shirt, what a pussy", and that sort of thing.
Progpower has alot of camaraderie because there's a alot of people who attend every year, and it's a very genre specific show where most people are all into the same bands and the same vibe. I mean that's cool, nothing wrong with that at all. But at a fest like Powerfest with a wide variety of bands playing, it's just unfortunately typical to see the doom metal fans kinda turning their noses up at the Power metal fans who are then in turn snickering at the metalcore fans, so on and so forth.

That and you are comparing Wacken to CPF whereas you couldn't see all of the possible rowdiness. Comparing them is not truly valid.
Actually, the reverse is true. At Wacken, you can survey thousands of people at any given time. At CPF, there are only a thousand people, and you can't even see all of them because you're in a dark room on a level surface.

5. If you want to be upfront and see the bands like I do. Its a small price to pay when it comes to some hair or bumping.
Britt wasn't talking about being up front.

You want to have the cake and eat it too.
Nope... he just wants cake. :loco:

Shit happens, but being a Metalhead (to some degree) already sets the bar for companionship, all that matters is taste and how many patches/studs/nails youve got.
Agreed.

Zod

Honestly I think part of the reason why a show like Powerfest might not "feel" like a fest is because of the mindset and preconceptions of alot of members of the crowd there.
Or perhaps it's because of the lack of preconceptions?

This coming year will mark my 9th year in a row at ProgPower. I know exactly what to expect. Everyone whose going knows what to expect. Those who have never been can go on the forum and find out exactly what to expect. And I can tell you, many people (including myself) would attend that festival if there wasn't a single band on the bill they liked, just to hang with all the friends they've made over the years. It seems the CPF guys, in an attempt not to lose their shirts and in an effort to present a different type of show, keep drawing completely different subsets of people every year. Consequently, each year seems like a random event. Even the forum has to host a sticky trying to explain what CPF is. I believe 2009 represents the 7th CPF, and it's still not clear to everyone what the festival is.

Take this year as an example. For days, you had people speculating who the bands would be. The people speculating were people who have attended CPF, who follow the forum and the comments of the promoters closely. Even when Rob dropped a few hints, no one could forsaw the coming announcement. And I think that is the problem. Next year... will the headliners be Trivium or Overkill? Nevermore or Wrathchild America? King Diamond or Korpiklaani? The promoters continue to see this as a positive. I'm not so sure. But when you look down to Atlanta, you see a promoter turning out the same event every year, to the delight of his fans.

Hey... I'm not trying to be critical. I would love to promote a festival, but lack the balls Rob and Chris have displayed.

Zod

Or perhaps it's because of the lack of preconceptions?

This coming year will mark my 9th year in a row at ProgPower. I know exactly what to expect. Everyone whose going knows what to expect. Those who have never been can go on the forum and find out exactly what to expect. And I can tell you, many people (including myself) would attend that festival if there wasn't a single band on the bill they liked, just to hang with all the friends they've made over the years. It seems the CPF guys, in an attempt not to lose their shirts and in an effort to present a different type of show, keep drawing completely different subsets of people every year. Consequently, each year seems like a random event. Even the forum has to host a sticky trying to explain what CPF is. I believe 2009 represents the 7th CPF, and it's still not clear to everyone what the festival is.

Take this year as an example. For days, you had people speculating who the bands would be. The people speculating were people who have attended CPF, who follow the forum and the comments of the promoters closely. Even when Rob dropped a few hints, no one could forsaw the coming announcement. And I think that is the problem. Next year... will the headliners be Trivium or Overkill? Nevermore or Wrathchild America? King Diamond or Korpiklaani? The promoters continue to see this as a positive. I'm not so sure. But when you look down to Atlanta, you see a promoter turning out the same event every year, to the delight of his fans.

Hey... I'm not trying to be critical. I would love to promote a festival, but lack the balls Rob and Chris have displayed.

Zod

That first statement you made saying that people would go to Prog Power even if there were no bands on the bill they liked. Wow, you know what? That doesn't sound like a fest to me...that sounds more like a club. You are going for the people and not the bands necessarily. Wow, I'm sure the bands would love to hear that.

I like Powerfest because I like variety. I don't want the same genre all the time. If people don't realize that Powerfest is not a niche fest but one that strives to represent all genres, then they are really dense. First of all, sooner or later, you are going to run out of bands that draw if you stick to one genre or you are going to have to go with bands that really do not draw. Second, you are not growing your fest in any way if you ONLY have the same people show up and do not try to expand your fan base or at least gain exposure.

Prog Power I'm sure is fine for certain Prog Power fans only. Here's a serious question, and I mean no disrespect, but the bands that are at Prog Power....how many of those bands do you think would draw that same crowd anywhere else? I don't think anywhere NEAR that many people would show up for those same bands in any major or even secondary markets. I'm not knocking Prog Power. It's good for what it is: a niche fest for certain people. But I am glad Powerfest is not like that. I look forward to seeing them expand. They more than tripled the amount of people they had from '07 to '08. If they keep that up, sooner or later, they will move to a bigger venue...and then who knows.... at least the possibility is there for Powerfest. I don't ever see Prog Power getting any bigger than it is now.

Oh, and to comment on Wacken...there is no way you could possibly know what is going on regarding rowdiness...etc. unless you were in a helicopter looking down and scanning the fest. If you have 60,000 people, no way are you going to be able to see what is going on in every area to be able to judge the % of rowdy people.

Wow, what kind of camaraderie could you have at Wacken?? Aren't there 60,000 people there each day??

This is not very helpful, but... go. Go to W:O:A and you'll get it. It was like a big family there. More so than ProgPower USA, more so than CPF, more so than any other USA festival I've been to (and I've been to a bunch).

Give me a place with a bunch of thrashers with moshpits and excitement over a boring ass crowd any day.

I'm not sure if you were implying that the W:O:A crowd was boring, but it is far, far from boring. It was one of the most enthusiastic crowds I've ever seen, even on day three.

I'm not sure if you were implying that the W:O:A crowd was boring, but it is far, far from boring. It was one of the most enthusiastic crowds I've ever seen, even on day three.

Not at all! I would LOVE to go to Wacken!

You should maybe go back and read my entire post. I was saying that basically, every fest you go to, you are going to have a rowdy crowd...UNLESS the fest you are at has people standing around doing nothing. I was not talking about any fest in particular.

That first statement you made saying that people would go to Prog Power even if there were no bands on the bill they liked. Wow, you know what? That doesn't sound like a fest to me...that sounds more like a club. You are going for the people and not the bands necessarily. Wow, I'm sure the bands would love to hear that.
It's irrelevant to me what the bands want to hear. The truth of the matter is, I typically watch maybe half the acts. The point I was trying to make is, that in trying to be all things to all people, you wind up being nothing to everyone.

I like Powerfest because I like variety. I don't want the same genre all the time.
I like variety too. However, if you're going to be successful, at some point, you're going to need to cater to a certain demographic.

If people don't realize that Powerfest is not a niche fest but one that strives to represent all genres, then they are really dense.
So you were expecting bands like Devildriver and Soil to be announced as the headliners?

First of all, sooner or later, you are going to run out of bands that draw if you stick to one genre or you are going to have to go with bands that really do not draw.
Someone should tell Glenn, who sells out every year in a matter of days.

Prog Power I'm sure is fine for certain Prog Power fans only. Here's a serious question, and I mean no disrespect, but the bands that are at Prog Power....how many of those bands do you think would draw that same crowd anywhere else? I don't think anywhere NEAR that many people would show up for those same bands in any major or even secondary markets. I'm not knocking Prog Power.
No one band is going to draw what an entire festival line up draws. As to what a given band would draw elsewhere, that's completely dependent on the band. Iced Earth and Amorphis headlined last year. They draw well everywhere.

It's good for what it is: a niche fest for certain people. But I am glad Powerfest is not like that. I look forward to seeing them expand. They more than tripled the amount of people they had from '07 to '08. If they keep that up, sooner or later, they will move to a bigger venue...and then who knows.... at least the possibility is there for Powerfest.
If you're under the impression that CPF is better positioned than ProgPower to expand their festival, ask Chris & Rob. I'm fairly certain they'd tell you it would be much easier for Glenn to expand ProgPower.

I don't ever see Prog Power getting any bigger than it is now.
Glenn could move to a bigger venue tomorrow if it's what he wanted. He's stated it's not. The festival as it's currently constructed is very manageable for him and includes very little risk

Oh, and to comment on Wacken...there is no way you could possibly know what is going on regarding rowdiness...etc. unless you were in a helicopter looking down and scanning the fest. If you have 60,000 people, no way are you going to be able to see what is going on in every area to be able to judge the % of rowdy people.
When you spend three days, 15 hours a day, walking all around, you get a sense of things. It's not like finding your place on a club floor and moving only for bathroom breaks.

Zod

Honestly I think part of the reason why a show like Powerfest might not "feel" like a fest is because of the mindset and preconceptions of alot of members of the crowd there. It gets that feeling of, as previously mentioned, "strong headlining band with a bunch of opening acts" because so many people don't go there with any enthusiasm about seeing the other bands on the bill, because they've never heard of them or because they've already decided that those bands are nobodies or just not not their style. I think Rob and Chris are looking at the bands they book not so much with the mentality of "lets book alot of popular bands that will draw big numbers" as, "hey this band from Europe is really fucking cool, and though not too many people know them here, they'd be really awesome to see and it'd be cool to try and turn some people onto them." Plus the sad fact is that they just can't afford to pay the $$$ to get all well-known acts to fill out the fest and move to an even bigger festival-type location just yet. I guess it can be hard to get that "fest" feel when it's at a venue that you've seen numerous other local and national shows at, to be fair.

As shown over the past few years, it's impossible for Powerfest to come even close to pleasing everyone. Every year there's debate and arguements over the bands chosen to play, whether it's the headliners or the second tier acts. Last year came the closest I think to having a positive response, and even so as you can see, people still had complaints and criticisms. All Rob and Chris can do is go with their gut instincts and try to put together the best show they can with the resources given to them, and put together something that they personally think is solid.

Thanks Larry!! And Amen, brother! :kickass:

It's irrelevant to me what the bands want to hear. The truth of the matter is, I typically watch maybe half the acts. The point I was trying to make is, that in trying to be all things to all people, you wind up being nothing to everyone.

I like variety too. However, if you're going to be successful, at some point, you're going to need to cater to a certain demographic.

So you were expecting bands like Devildriver and Soil to be announced as the headliners?

Someone should tell Glenn, who sells out every year in a matter of days.

No one band is going to draw what an entire festival line up draws. As to what a given band would draw elsewhere, that's completely dependent on the band. Iced Earth and Amorphis headlined last year. They draw well everywhere.

If you're under the impression that CPF is better positioned than ProgPower to expand their festival, ask Chris & Rob. I'm fairly certain they'd tell you it would be much easier for Glenn to expand ProgPower.

Glenn could move to a bigger venue tomorrow if it's what he wanted. He's stated it's not. The festival as it's currently constructed is very manageable for him and includes very little risk

When you spend three days, 15 hours a day, walking all around, you get a sense of things. It's not like finding your place on a club floor and moving only for bathroom breaks.

Zod

1. It's not the promoters job to be anything to anyone. They want to bring bodies in and make money. At least, that's what I'd want to do. Bring bodies in and make money and showcase bands I like in the process.

2. They DO cater to a certain demographic. It's called people who like metal music. If that means that the fest appeals to different people and even more people each year instead of the same people each year and no more or less...I'll take it.

3. I was expecting headliners that will draw. Those headliners will draw.

4. Glenn sells out because, as I said...he has the same people go every year...it's like a club. he relies on the same people every year and it doesn't matter who he brings in...as you said.

5. Not true about the one band not drawing what an entire fest line up draws...unless you are talking about bands at Prog Power

6. Glenn COULD expand Prog Power....but he is limited to how big based on the niche.

7. Since Glenn doesn't want to expand and CPF does, then comparing the two is not valid.

8. I don't care how long you spend walking around Wacken. You could have been in one place and then leave and within five minutes something crazy/rowdy could happen. I don't need to be there to make that statement. It's common sense and logical and very possible. You cannot be in every area, every minute to judge the % of rowdiness. It's not physically possible.

Zod

WOW!! Just wow!! Maybe it's you who should go ask Glenn that question.

Hey Zod...Hey Punkin!

I think we all get the picture now! :lol: You will obviously NEVER succeed at convincing the other...so just drop it! Although, it is fun to read! :lol:

Just agree to disagree already! :lol:

Hey Zod...Hey Punkin!

I think we all get the picture now! :lol: You will obviously NEVER succeed at convincing the other...so just drop it! Although, it is fun to read! :lol:

Just agree to disagree already! :lol:

Well....since you asked so nicely...I suppose I'm done. ;)

WOW!! Just wow!! Maybe it's you who should go ask Glenn that question.
Seriously? You guys feel you could put together a bigger festival than Glenn? If I remember next time I see Glenn, I'll ask.

Hey Zod...Hey Punkin! I think we all get the picture now! :lol: You will obviously NEVER succeed at convincing the other...so just drop it! Although, it is fun to read! :lol: Just agree to disagree already! :lol:
Since it's your forum, I'll respect your wishes. Though I'm not clear why a discussion forum would discourage discussion. It's not as if the two us are name calling and throwing around profanities. And it's not as if anything else is currently being discussed.

Zod

Seriously? You guys feel you could put together a bigger festival than Glenn? If I remember next time I see Glenn, I'll ask.
Don't know...what do you consider bigger? Numbers? If so, last year already did. But if you mean based on what you and many people would consider a complete "fest" experience...then not yet. However, we still have some considerable changes coming this year that may change a lot of people's minds about that...like a lounge area for people to hang & congregate...for one. ;)

In due time, we feel confident that future Powerfests will dwarf what we have now!

Since it's your forum, I'll respect your wishes. Though I'm not clear why a discussion forum would discourage discussion. It's not as if the two us are name calling and throwing around profanities. And it's not as if anything else is currently being discussed.

Zod

Ever hear of beating a dead horse? :lol: Although, if you guys feel there are still things that you need to discuss, please don't let me stop you! Like I said, it's fun to read. :p

I suppose I'll speak up now, because I think I have somewhat of a unique opinion.

I am officially on the bubble for attending CPF this year, and I am one of the "disappointed" group regarding the recent announcement. Let me say that I am ALL FOR variety. I liked the concept of including some "core" bands last year, even if their performances didn't really impress me. However, I have to balance the fact that I love a variety of acts against the fact that I have to drive 5.5 hours to get to the fest. DevilDriver is an okay band, and I might enjoy their show, but I wouldn't go see them just because they were playing in my hometown, and I would certainly not travel for them. Soil I dislike, and based on the samples I've heard, I do not consider them "powerful", or even "metal", at all -- they sound more like an ordinary, teen-angst-driven mainstream rock band. (Anyone who can point me to some samples that may change my mind, I'm all ears!) The only band announced so far that I would consider traveling to see is Kiuas.

I still may go, though... I know damn well that CR&J always put together a well-run event, and I like the VIP perks (of COURSE I'll be sponsoring if I attend, and if the guys will still have me after this pseudo-rant)... and I'm pretty sure I know who the unannounced opening band is. If I'm correct, it will be a BIG TIME step in the right direction, for me. :) But it will take a decent headliner announcement to get me there this year.

If I don't make it, I will probably be back next year. CPF still remains IMO the best lineup over the course of its existence of any US metal fest. Every year, CPF seems tailor-made to my exact tastes in music. I've been to every CPF so far (and I think I'm one of only three people who has been; I should get some kind of "longevity" award for that! :) ). One hiccup over ten years is a pretty damn good record.