Devin Townsend - Ki

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
Stolen from wiki. I didn't know this. But it might be old news. But anyways:

Devin plans to release a new solo album in late 2008. Devin has stated the following on his official forums regarding this new album:
“Yo... A hugely complicated, dynamic metal 'symphony' thing...mainly instrumental... (Except for the choir vocal type shit). 72 minutes long. I've already started it, and it's far over the top...the most complex thing to date. Tentative title: 2. (Ziltoid was 1)...whatever it's called, it's going to have a '2' in the upper right hand corner. Maybe by December? Seriously...FAR over the top...TONS of guitar...TONS of solos...TONS of layers, some Devlab / Hummer bits, some beauty, some hell...no breaks between songs...some super clean quiet bits... No Ziltoid wackiness... I see it as a real DIY honest, adult thing. I want to write symphonies, but I'm a metal head, so here we go. I find it really natural. Making music without touring IS a break as far as I'm concerned...”
Devin also stated this on his forums on Wednesday, April 30, 2008:
“I have songs... A Monday, Coast, Disruptr, The Way Home, Lady Helen, Synchronicity Freaks, Gato Negro, Demon League. Thinking very hard...The record may be called 'Ki' or 'Ki-Ra' It's very different and very special...very strange...very minimal...deeply satisfying and sometimes very heavy in a 'new' way...it may be too dark for some. I've worked on this record more than almost any record I've ever done next to Ocean Machine. Sometimes I think it's brilliant and sometimes it freaks me out. I have an ambient record in the works as well. (That one is a ways away though...). Konrad, who did the Hummer and Devlab art, is doing this layout and videos and he is doing an AMAZING job.”
Then, on Tuesday 9th September:
After three years of producing bands, all of which I got along with, very few of which I understood, through which I accumulated killer gear and studios...I believe I'm ready to be a musician again. I start in the next 2 months, preparations underway...some of it will be in canada, some elsewhere. There may be a show or two. Even sober I write fucked up shit, but I'm strangely cool with that...I guess it's just me. At least it's honest...strange how honest gets labelled crazy sometimes. The album willl have many moods, but will be presented very interestingly I think. I'm going far up north in a few days to start assembling thoughts. Did I mention sober? Yeah, shes heavy...and dark, and weird, and literal, and metaphoric, and most of my buddies don't understand it quite yet. I think I do though. CLEAN guitar tones mostly. It will be my shittiest album ever...the worst, lamest, most boring tripe I can possible create. I've lost my edge and should have quit and become a plumber. ...oh no, shit...I mean a 'Genre defying classic' Or...just another weird ass record in a long line of weird ass records that I wonder if I'd even listen to if I didn't write it. Regardless...she's on her way...and her name is 'Ki'
On October 5th, the theme of the album was revealed:
Wow, this next one is something else... it's all kind of being brought together. Nature is the theme. Some of it is devastating...really focused and orchestral

As am I, though I've never been a huge fan of Devin's work for some reason. Sounds interesting though.

However inconsistent his stuff is (never terrible, just sometimes iffy), I always love the effort and passion he puts into it. And when he hits it, it can be uniquely brilliant. Just picked up Zeltoid last week, didn't think I'd like the wackiness, but actually loved the album.

Says "sober" a couple times. Did he have or just get over some drug problems or something? Never seemed like the type to do more than dabble or smoke weed.

Says "sober" a couple times. Did he have or just get over some drug problems or something? Never seemed like the type to do more than dabble or smoke weed.

Yeh its just the weed he's off I think, I think he used to be quite a consistent smoker...although he still seems to be coffee obsessed, heh.

I love Dev, everything he is saying about Ki is just all slotting into place for me, this album sounds immense and deeep.

I like the sound of what's going to happen. Devin has always had a broad sense of style. I couldn't really get into SYL, but his solo work has been simply amazing and I liked his work on The Human Equation. Orchestral, lots of solos, lots of layers, sounds great! Very excited! Plus, he's somewhat of a local where I live. Around an hour or so away if I'm correct.

I like the sound of what's going to happen. Devin has always had a broad sense of style. I couldn't really get into SYL, but his solo work has been simply amazing and I liked his work on The Human Equation. Orchestral, lots of solos, lots of layers, sounds great! Very excited! Plus, he's somewhat of a local where I live. Around an hour or so away if I'm correct.

wow that'd be so cool to live near Dev. :worship:

^Yeah, I'd totally stalk him every day.... Not.

But the album sounds pretty crazy, I am interested. He's done tons of great music in the past. Looking forward to this one.

I was most impressed with his clean vocal work for Steve Vai, I really hope he does another "serious" project like this again... but this orchestral metal idea sounds interesting indeed. :D

Again, Devin strikes me as today's Frank Zappa. I love that he seems to know no boundaries.

Zappa? When I think of him I think of two things - a true intellectual genius, and a theoretical music knowledge that allowed him to compose legit symphonies.

I see what you're talking about, but its a bit too early to say he's a force of nature like FZ.