Devin Townsend - Ki

However inconsistent his stuff is (never terrible, just sometimes iffy), I always love the effort and passion he puts into it. And when he hits it, it can be uniquely brilliant.

I feel this way as well.

To be honest, I'm not really interested in any of his upcoming releases. I don't think any of his music will make me feel the same way as when I first heard City or Ocean Machine. I feel old now - just realized that was well over a decade ago :erk:

I feel this way as well.

To be honest, I'm not really interested in any of his upcoming releases. I don't think any of his music will make me feel the same way as when I first heard City or Ocean Machine. I feel old now - just realized that was well over a decade ago :erk:

Really? Personally I think Synchestra was his best effort.

You know what guys, Devin actually made very similar remarks before he released Terria. How he didn't want to express single-minded fury in his music anymore and how he wanted to make the album 'heavy' in another sense. That disc turned out to be his masterpiece, or at least a personal favourite for me along with Ocean Machine. However, it was very heavily produced. Ki sounds like it will be put on tape rather simultaneously... which would make it less layered an album than Terria, right?

I'm looking forward to it...

Says "sober" a couple times. Did he have or just get over some drug problems or something? Never seemed like the type to do more than dabble or smoke weed.
He should continue to smoke if you ask me.

On another note i'm really looking forward to this. I've been addicted to Accelerated Evolution lately.

I guess I am just not so excited about a Devin Townsend release circa 2009, as I was in maybe a decade ago. Ziltoid wasn't that great to me, and The New Black was just horrid. Of course I will check out this new stuff before condemning it. Doesn't help though that the Devin fanboys will be out in force though, telling me how genious it is.

The New Black is by far his worst album IMO. the musical core of Ziltoid is great, but the "dialogs" get old and kind of distracting after a while IMO.

I actually think "The New Black" is great. It's not as good as "City" and "Alien," but it is nice. The Ziltoidian dialogs haven't gotten old for me yet, but I only listen to it when I am in a whacky mood.

More mellow sounds just fine to me. Ziltoid was maybe a bit too Strapping Young Lad-ish at some points..... Maybe gonna check this out soon.