Did a gig with 8505 live last night

Holy shit, that's cool but what if REAPER decides to fuck off and crash? :O

I've got an mp3 player with me for backup :) Just tell the FOH guy to skip to the next song (or do it yourself), which is easy if you have the setlist in numbered order on the stick as separate songs. Then restart reaper/the computer during the next song and then setup the next song to start :headbang: But you need to bring a POD or some other for that moment.

Glad it went well, dude! What kind of settings did you use? I found that with my POD, if I use the same settings I use for recording, it ends up sounding like shit.

Vids to prove it:

That's fucking wicked man.
Amp modeling has really proven it's worth.

Agreed!!

That's great.

I've always wondered about taking this approach with it. The automation during the set sounds amazingly liberating.

Dude, you have no idea... All I have to do is play. Don't have to fuck with anything else... its all already set up for me. :)

Brill, just what I thought really. So you have one reaper session for your whole setlist then. Who controls the laptop? For instance, I imagine you're not going to let it run continuously straight through with set gaps as you might have different interactions with the audience etc.

I've got individual song files for everything we're doing. They're laid out with one stereo track for the orchestration that I've mixed down and two mono guitar tracks, with everything cued up to the tempo track. Everything is set up in Reaper to be routed to the individual outputs it needs to be going to. And a friend of mine is running the laptop in between songs. He knows the setlist, and when a song ends he goes up, changes the song while I banter/tune, and then he signals me when its all ready. I intro the song, he hits play, and we're off!

Holy shit, that's cool but what if REAPER decides to fuck off and crash? :O

I've thought about this, but I have literally never had it crash on my laptop. i've had issues with bad FW drivers when I had the wireless card enabled, but the RME drivers are so stable with the internet off that I don't worry about it at all.

I asked generally speaking. Thank you, I didn't know there was a technical term for such an installation. I would have said "sonorisation system" or something like that.

The reaper session is also one of my ideas to try next time I play live. It's so simple : if you already recorded your songs, you remove the waveforms in the guitar/bass/vox tracks, and that's done. You may remove the master bus processing and you're almost done. All samples are ready already, you may maybe change panning to adapt to venues, and you're done. To have different guitar tones, you simply adjust volume by automation in their tracks. So that you pass from disto to clean with full transparency.

This is basically what I did, but instead of using the original project files, I bounced everything down to a stereo .wav to lessen the CPU load.

Glad it went well, dude! What kind of settings did you use? I found that with my POD, if I use the same settings I use for recording, it ends up sounding like shit.

I used the same settings :lol I'll probably switch it up and design a tone for live use, but I didn't really have time for this show. Next show I will probably be using LePou's new ENGL sim :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a simpler version of what we will be doing with my band. We will use in ear monitoring to ensure that we get a good stage mix and keep the click track out of the main mix that plays through the pa. We plan on running two guitars, bass, drums and vocals through the computer and route everything to separate stereo mixes that we feed to the sound guy. The only things that will not be sent through the computer is the cymbals. We will use a lot of automation and synths as well.
The main thing that I'm pretty exited about is the fact that this will allow us to use quite a few backing tracks as well. We're two guitar players (I'm at the left side and he's at the right) and when I play a solo, my track gets panned center and boosted a few db's in volume. At the same time, a pre-recorded track kicks in on the left side and doubles what the other guitarplayer is playing, ensuring that the intensity of the rhythm sections never drops out. We plan on doing alot more crazy things this way, especially with vocal harmonies, effets and what-not. I really feel that this is the future for my band.

-Sigurd-

This is a simpler version of what we will be doing with my band. We will use in ear monitoring to ensure that we get a good stage mix and keep the click track out of the main mix that plays through the pa. We plan on running two guitars, bass, drums and vocals through the computer and route everything to separate stereo mixes that we feed to the sound guy. The only things that will not be sent through the computer is the cymbals. We will use a lot of automation and synths as well.
The main thing that I'm pretty exited about is the fact that this will allow us to use quite a few backing tracks as well. We're two guitar players (I'm at the left side and he's at the right) and when I play a solo, my track gets panned center and boosted a few db's in volume. At the same time, a pre-recorded track kicks in on the left side and doubles what the other guitarplayer is playing, ensuring that the intensity of the rhythm sections never drops out. We plan on doing alot more crazy things this way, especially with vocal harmonies, effets and what-not. I really feel that this is the future for my band.

-Sigurd-

That is fucking COOL! :D IEMs and running vocals and triggers through the laptop are two things that I really want to do when I have time. Relying on the drummer to keep time can be a bit of a nightmare sometimes, and most venues don't gate/compress/verb/EQ vocals quite how I want them to ( ie at all :lol: )

I'm blessed that my drummer is fucking tight and really great. Best of all, he actually doesn't mind being told what to play, while coming up with great parts himself.

We recently had band practice using amp sims through my half ass PA. 8505 did sound quite nice. Im sure it would sound sick with the right PA.

On a side note....our vocalist was ecstatic because he got to sing with compression for the first time lol. I used the roughrider compression plugin and smashed them fairly hard.

I did something similar some years back. My band at the time used nuendo, I ran thru a digitech 2101 and roland gi-10 to control vsti's, the drums used triggers, the keyboard player had a kurzweil, we used a backing track in nuendo to control the timing, add samples in the background and midi change control all of are equipment. it was cool, but a technical nightmare at times! I could swear I found a piece of midi gear or plugin later on that would adjust timing in real time from the drummers triggers or some other midi controller, I can remember saying "now that's what we needed"

We're using my stationary comp. It's optimized for music production anyway.
Our drummer uses the Rolad TD-20 set with real cymbals, and I'm pretty sure we'll use Slate Samples live. Can't wait to hear those slammin' through a big PA!

Dude that's so cool!

Sounds pretty good!

+10000000000 for Valhalla but I wish you sang the whole thing! You've got an awesome voice!

We're using my stationary comp. It's optimized for music production anyway.
Our drummer uses the Rolad TD-20 set with real cymbals, and I'm pretty sure we'll use Slate Samples live. Can't wait to hear those slammin' through a big PA!

A desktop? Man, I would hate to have to bring around a desktop+monitor+mouse+keyboard to every gig...

I did this for a few gigs a few months ago. Did it slightly differently though, i ran my guitar in, processed it with software pre's and eq's and effects, then ran it from a line out to a real poweramp and cab. Also since we don't play to a click, I ran my guitar into my firepods 2 di inputs and switched between sounds using an A/B box.

Only reason I stopped was I've gotten alot busier recording and didn't want my computer getting broken at a gig- it took a few pretty hard falls and bands are very careless- had 1 band lump a few hardcases ontop of it and behind it after a soundcheck, plugging it out by force and bending my VGA output.
Sounded great though and was VERY versatile- had the nicest clean tone I've ever played with and the lead sounds were savage- had a nice delay that would sync to the tempo I was playing at- hiagh and low passed it so it wouldn't clog up my main tone

Compared to two guitar amps and a bass amp? I don't think that's a lot to frag around at all.

Yeah, but PC equipment is a lot more fragile than guitar stuff. I'd be really worried the whole time. I guess a laptop is similar though.

Been fine-tuning my guitar tone... going to have a way better tone next show/rehearsal, and a better expectation of what to do. Let's hope it pans out nicely :D