• No

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Ocelot2010

Burger King Diamond
Sep 18, 2008
Washington State
I'm actually wondering how many people here actually like Dimebag

I'm not talking the typical "lololol RIP DIME!!!11!! GREATEST GUITAR PLAYER EVARR" stuff, but if you actually find him a to be a good guitar player or not, and if so, how much do you like him?

I quite like Dimebag, I think he was a really talented guitarist, truely talented, was a real shame to have lost him.
But I'm not like dedicated to him like so many people are, yet I believe he has created so many incredible pieces of music such as the solo in Floods

I quite like Dimebag, I think he was a really talented guitarist, truely talented, was a real shame to have lost him.
But I'm not like dedicated to him like so many people are, yet I believe he has created so many incredible pieces of music such as the solo in Floods

I love you. :lol:

The solo for Floods is one of the greatest I've ever heard. On a side note, this is what I wanted my Mechanix VS. Four Horsemen topic to be like. How do I start a poll?

Spectaclar player when he was alive, but he didn't do anything life changing with his songs.

And since his death hes been praised by kids who have listened to Pantera for a week, which really pisses me off. I've listened to Dime's music for ten years now and some of it shaped who I am today, to have kids who like to jump the bandwagon praise him unashamedly is sickening to say the least (for example)

Spectaclar player when he was alive, but he didn't do anything life changing with his songs.

And since his death hes been praised by kids who have listened to Pantera for a week, which really pisses me off. I've listened to Dime's music for ten years now and some of it shaped who I am today, to have kids who like to jump the bandwagon praise him unashamedly is sickening to say the least (for example)

*sigh* Scene kids...... why must they ruin everyone's fun? :lol:

I liked his solos, and some of his riffs, I think he is overrated just by the people that cry over his death, just like Cliff Burton is overrated by those kind of people, but he was a very good guitar player nevertheless.

i voted overrated, i think hes amazing cant say a word against him, but there is better =/

its always the gay nickelback / bullet fans that think bullet is thrash and then hear him and are like waw dey r copeein bullet wass his naem i lik him! and then when they learn he is dead they pretend to miss him. i know a guy like this and he needs to die now.

No i do not like him at all. I couldnt exactly lose respect for him with what he did with pantera because i didnt listen to them in the 80s! But to see it as a whole career now and isnt cool. Power Metal is a fun album, but it is not the guitar work that makes that album at all as most of you know. I dont mind that era of Pantera, so what this interview showed up with Phil in Metal Hammer and then Dime died the week after i was shocked. But now people are Pantera mad and all have this "RIP i miss u dime lol". But all the people this probably NEVER heard of him before he died. Damage Plan were playing tiny tiny clubs and Dime was dropping off the major face of metal into obscurity, and the truth is that if he didnt die he wouldnt be so popular. He was a good guitarist but not as amazing as he is made out to be.

And Cliff Burton isnt the bassist hes made out to be. Listen to the bass tracks for Ride The Lightning... He isnt a tight bassist in the slightest. Fine he can play very well and i love him. But too many people do infact over hype him. But at the end of the day both Dime and Cliff deserve a lot of respect. They died on the road doing what they love. And i have respect for that... but i still dont like Dime haha.

I liked his solos, and some of his riffs, I think he is overrated just by the people that cry over his death, just like Cliff Burton is overrated by those kind of people, but he was a very good guitar player nevertheless.

+1

Exactly. Don't get me wrong he was an ace player and I miss his music but jesus christ, there are so many better guitarists out there.

Vinny Daze from Demolition Hammer was a fucking mindblowing drummer, he died in 1996 - did he get this kind of reaction? NO! It disgusts me!

great player, he had what millions of guitarists wish they had in their playing. personality.

music is a passionate thing, people are passionate about it and they/we get attached to bands/band members and when theyre no longer there you do miss them, regardless of whether they sold 1 million albums or 1, and its completely subjective so i dont understand how people can say that other people getting into the same thing you appreciate lessens what you feel for it. thats just insanely childish. do you deserve to like it more than they do?

not meaning to derail but ill give you an example, i didnt know that much about paul newman when he died, but i had seen one or two of his films and enjoyed them, id seen butch cassidy and slap shot, and thought he was brilliant, but when he died it made me really want to go out of my way to discover what he had done in his life because i was interested....

and i found some fucking brilliant films, the hustler, cool hand luke, the sting, the drowning pool, road to perdition, he was a brilliant character and im glad i got into what hes done, cool hand luke is now one of my favourite films..... so do you think other people who like paul newmans films would think less of him and think im only trying to look cool because he died? because ive found something else i can appreciate in life because of it....

If someone gets the same kick i get out of watching cool hand luke, then awesome! if some kid who only likes watching high school musical came up to me and said "hey i saw a film called cool hand luke and really enjoyed it" would i say "oh well i now i dont like it as much now YOU like it" would i fuck, id say "join the party young one, check out the sting or butch cassidy as well, enjoy yourself!!!"

lifes too short.

He fuckin shreds, his passion is in his playing through and through. Just think about this guys, those kids that have only listened to pantera for a week might be potential metal fans in the future so why the hate? They might buy your album in the future if your an aspiring musician or bang their head next to you in your upcoming Megadeth gig.

Jesus moment?

you know whats funny, when guys who have been into metal for quite a while complain about younger people getting into the same music they like..... usually commented on like such.... "oh youre just 14 and joining this whole trend thing" blah blah....

well how old were you when you got into metal sir?

oh. well then go fuck yourself.

dime was a great player, the more people that end up listening to cowboys from hell and vulgar display of power the better. i dont care who they are, enjoy it.

I dont care about that. I just dont like people saying they miss Dime a lot when they never knew who he was beforehand. Now that pantera wont be making new music itd be okay to get into them now as there is a nice overview of material, and its set. Thats how itll be forever. Set in stone maaan. Same with Death i guess. Im glad Death broke up because Chucks heart wasnt in it and it wouldnt of been as amazing. Pantera broke up and their fans could be happen that they went out after theyd all done, they can look back n say, been there, done that.

Bolt Thrower are a prime example for this. They're still together. But after releasing their best album that is it! No more, dont wanna ruin it for the fans because their new stuff didnt live up to Those Once Loyal.

Dime may not have done anything groundbreaking with his music. But he played what he wanted and he played it with passion which is what made him a great guitarist. I'm sure he could have done groundbreaking stuff if he'd wanted to, but that wasn't who he was or what he was.

I can understand what people are saying about the younglings listening to his music once and saying "we miss you Dime." But honestly so what? As long as they keep listening to the music and enjoying it and celebrating his life by doing so then I see nothing wrong with it.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong he was an ace player and I miss his music but jesus christ, there are so many better guitarists out there.

Vinny Daze from Demolition Hammer was a fucking mindblowing drummer, he died in 1996 - did he get this kind of reaction? NO! It disgusts me!

He wasn't shot onstage during a performance was he? The whole reason people CAN'T forget Dime, is because of the way he died. Thats what I think anyway.

you know whats funny, when guys who have been into metal for quite a while complain about younger people getting into the same music they like..... usually commented on like such.... "oh youre just 14 and joining this whole trend thing" blah blah....

well how old were you when you got into metal sir?

oh. well then go fuck yourself.

dime was a great player, the more people that end up listening to cowboys from hell and vulgar display of power the better. i dont care who they are, enjoy it.

Noted, but slightly different tot he point I was making - I've been listened to Dimes music since about 1999, five years before he died. His death affected me a hell of a lot because hell - I grew up listening to him. Hes one of (ONE OF) the reasons I play guitar now, much kudos to the man. What gets on my tits is when these kids start bawling over him when they only discovered his music AFTER hes died as if they'd been listening to it for 20 damn years.

I know its a pretty immature point, but its rather annoying nonetheless. I sil lenjoy Dime's music one the odd occasion (usually on the anniversary of his death and his birthday) because lets face it, no one is quite retarded enough to let some dopey fringed twats who wanna be cool ruin something that meant so much to them in the past. You just bitch slap them instead :lol:

Keep these replies coming Matt, they're a cause of good conversations :)

He wasn't shot onstage during a performance was he? The whole reason people CAN'T forget Dime, is because of the way he died. Thats what I think anyway.

Most ridiculous answer I've read in a long time. Just because he was shot onstage means hes more important? Come on, thats just plain silly...

Nahh, it isnt that. Its because Pantera were massivly popular. Chuck is loved in the same way, maybe with more respect though and he died of cancer. DH are just a bit obscure i guess.

And yet Chuck still doesn't get the same respect as Dimebag does, and when he does get it its usually in the smaller metal circles. Because Dimebag was in Pantera, who were one of the biggest metal band sin the '90s. More mainstream = more media exposure, and media exposure is probably the main reason Dimebag has become so overrated in the last five years. Heres something to think about; Chuck Schuldiner's reputation hasn't been blown out of all proportion since his death, and Death was a less successful band than Pantera (by comparison).

Not gonna let that soil his reputation either, but my points been made.