Dimmu Borgir, black metal & "Tr00-Kvlt" BM fans

that has to be one of the worst posts i have ever read, particularly from a grammatical standpoint (although i guess english isn't your native languages, so concession to you there).

anyway, i think there have been some killer black metal releases of late - see albums such as Drudkh's first two releases, Averse Sefira's latest, Nachtfalke, DSO, Watain and so forth .... how is the genre dead?

byrne said:
anyway, i think there have been some killer black metal releases of late - see albums such as Drudkh's first two releases, Averse Sefira's latest, Nachtfalke, DSO, Watain and so forth .... how is the genre dead?
If you think that this small piece of evolution is enough, it isn´t dead yet.

byrne said:
that has to be one of the worst posts i have ever read, particularly from a grammatical standpoint (although i guess english isn't your native languages, so concession to you there).

the genre is only dead to people who think it died in 1992 or so

I think every year has several notable BM releases...

Death Animal said:
An' here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time
best post in this thread.

at original poster: First you bash "tr00" fans, then type up a page-long article about what bands are and are not black metal. This after you explicitly state that you hate when people do that, and will not do that.

Are you dense?

Ok, so the original post was a little rambling, but I get the gist. I think she's talking about the HUGE amount of absolute bollocks that gets talked about Dimmu Borgir or COF getting slagged as the worst bands in the world, especially by the BM Mafia because they were, at one point, considered BM bands.

Vamp, for what it's worth, who gives a fuck about what some 90lb bedroom warrior says is necro enough to listen to?

If you like it, you like it. Don't try and debate away some of the hypocricy - you'll be here for a long, long time...

MadeInNewJersey said:

well said... now just to play Devil's advocate for a second, why is Dimmu criticized for having melodies developed by keys and orchestration predominantly whereas that type of dynamic is highly praised in Summoning and later Burzum?(all 3 bands rank up there for me)

byrne said:
your argument makes no sense, and you seem to have little to no knowledge of black metal (not that I necessarily do , but I know enough to know your argument sucks).

Hence your opinion is meaningless. Way to showcase your ignorance! Saying something "sucks" without adequate reason reflects the immaturity of a 13 year old.

Fredy_Brown said:
Original black metal has died and the rest lives in surviving bands like darkthore (which I respect).

i guess you never heard of Watain, Ondskapt, Deathspell Omega, Funeral Mist, Averse Sefira, Baptism, Mutiilation, Hell Militia, Lurker of Chalice, ?

to say true black metal is dead is very ignorant, there is tons of great black metal bands outside of norway.

KevenZ said:
i guess you never heard of Watain, Ondskapt, Deathspell Omega, Funeral Mist, Averse Sefira, Baptism, Mutiilation, Hell Militia, Lurker of Chalice, ?

to say true black metal is dead is very ignorant, there is tons of great black metal bands outside of norway.

There are indeed plenty of good black metal bands out there today...however the classic black metal days with Darkthrone, Emperor etc are in fact over. Not that it matters though, good music is good music regardless of whichever band.

KevenZ said:

I saw Watain in 2003, have their discography.
Have Ondskapt´s Dödens Evangelium; Deathspell Omega´s Inquisitors Of Satan; Funeral Mist´s Salvation; Mutiilation´s Majestas Leprosus and Rattenkönig; Averse Sefira´s Battle's Clarion.

Lurker of Chalice really don´t play black metal.

Black Metal is not dead becasute there are no BM bands but becauste best albums of Black Metal are already written.

MadeInNewJersey said:

Yeah, I think you're an idiot. There's been like what, 2-3 maybe decent bm releases this year? Compare that to 10 years ago. It's fucking dead.

VampyrRose said:
There's nothing more idiotic and shameful than those “uber-tr00-kvlt” die hard black metal fans (for lack of a better name that describes them so fittingly). Yes, I consider myself to be a avid fan of black metal and very knowledgeable on the subject but I certainly don’t pride myself in stupidity by constantly telling people what is and is not black metal...that is with the following exception in which I am supporting my argument that they are subject to their own hypocritical views and contradictory criticisms.

Its well know that Dimmu Borgir started off as a black metal band and progressively, they adapted more of an “extreme metal” sound. However, that is not to say they aren't black metal. Like almost all of the "elite" BM bands, they have undergone a change in sound, one that would not qualify as true black metal. Emperor did almost the same thing. "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" did have good sound production and featured more of an "extreme metal" sound that the band would later embrace as apposed to a straight black metal sound. Yes they did make a music video for "The Loss and Curse of Reverence.” - However, because of Dimmu's increasing popularity, commercial appeal and evolving sound, tr00-kvlt-only BM fans have shunned Dimmu Borgir and chosen to disregard them as a black metal band.Thus, why should Emperor still be considered black metal if only their debut album offers a true sound, and if their latter style was not as true much like that of Dimmu Borgir?

Now I like Immortal and am not here to piss on them in any way - I am simply making a point. Immortal are considered to be true black metal by many. Why? They have never ever worn "corpse paint", rather it has always been "Demon War Paint" according to Abbath. Their image has often encompassed more of a wrestler approach than a than that of a traditional black metal band. Their lyrical themes are not the same ones commonly found amongst other true black metal bands. For example, they do not write about Pagan beliefs, Anti-Christian or even nature...instead they write about their own winter-fantasy-world, certainly not nature. The latter years of Immortal's existence gave way to a more "thrashier" sound. You could argue that they, like many elite BM bands changed direction and were once true black metal....However, Fenriz has said in interviews that drums are not an integral part of true black metal, instead they are just "supposed to be there." Fenriz. This is not the case with Immortal's "Battles in the North" album, not to mention they made two music videos for that album - yes, music videos. Therefore, one would be lead to believe that Immortal is not true black metal according to the accepted "rules" of black metal 101. Yet they are one of the pioneers of black metal and remain one of the few names accepted in the tr00 black metal ranks. I don’t dispute this but you can see what I am getting at.

Truth be told, there are no rules to black metal despite popular belief of ignorant diehard BM fans. Bands that follow these "unwritten" guidelines and claim to be "tr00" are simply posers and don't seem to realize the underlying message of "be yourself"found commonly amongst the “black metal elite“. Its one thing to criticize bands like Darkthrone for not playing into their roots (sorry if they've decided to be themselves rather than cater to a bunch of idiotic fans) but coming from young know-it-all fans? Where were those fans 15 years ago? And most importantly, what gives them the right to tell the few (who only experienced the birth of black metal, defined the genre and took it to great new lengths) what is and is not black metal? Fuck that. True black metal died 10 years ago. Black Metal has changed, evolved and been re-written over the past decade. Get over it.

For these reasons it is most appropriate to eliminate such lame usage of the terms “true/tr00” & “kvlt” black metal. Why not just accept the fact that there are different waves of black metal. The wave that gave black metal is foundation, the second wave that defined the genre, and the new wave that is of today.

This is simply my opinion, but feel free to agree or disagree.

I completely agree. I don't see why people are so picky about what's black metal and what's not. I say if it sounds good and you like it then listen to it.

HAY GUYZ GUESS WUT I DONT LIKE THIS STUFF SO OBVIOUSLY EVERYTHING IS DED YUM NIHILISM