Disappointment

Draxx,

I would recommend "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" over "V". I was so charged up for "V" and it was a big disappointment for me. I do have to admit, though, that I lost my copy after listening to it only 3 or 4 times, so I'm not sure, but not a single song on it stuck with me within those 4 times hearing it. All the other albums kicked in right away, so I think you'd be better to go with "T.D.W.O.T.". But, that's just my opinion. I hope to find my copy of V soon so I can listen to it again and find out what I might have missed.

Originally posted by scanner313
Draxx,

I would recommend "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" over "V". I was so charged up for "V" and it was a big disappointment for me. I do have to admit, though, that I lost my copy after listening to it only 3 or 4 times, so I'm not sure, but not a single song on it stuck with me within those 4 times hearing it. All the other albums kicked in right away, so I think you'd be better to go with "T.D.W.O.T.". But, that's just my opinion. I hope to find my copy of V soon so I can listen to it again and find out what I might have missed.

scanner313,

Yeah, get another copy and listen to it again.... You're really missing out on a GREAT disc!!

Hello there...

For me "V" is still untouchable... [ODYSSEY is also a bit too heavy in my - own - opinion, and gives me headaches when my player goes to reach 'THE TURNING'... I always prefer more stellar stuff]

That's really great how SyX fans discuss freely about the band, and stay so "open-minded"!!! You're really the best fans in the world ;))
===
And in despite that I think there is also too much metal material on the CD (but it's a matter of personnal taste, the band sure knows what they want) I would say WICKED is my favorite song.

Originally posted by Thornmoon
scanner313,

Yeah, get another copy and listen to it again.... You're really missing out on a GREAT disc!!

Agreed... "V" is amazing... and I think it's better than "Divine Wings".

I liked V more than DWOT.

V is probably my favorite album from the band.

The Odyssey wasn't supposed to be a direct follow-up to V, though. V was something totally different.

The greatest thing about Symphony X is that their incredible combined talents for composing allows them to challenge themselves with each new release. So....every CD is different and fresh. Certain ones may not appeal to everyone, but they have the capabilities to do this, which is more than a lot of bands. It will ultimately keep them from burning out, too. Personally, it just makes me impatient and anxious to hear what they decide to do next! Their talent amazes me with every song, really. V will always be my favorite because this is the one where I found them, and the lyrics just blow me away.

My favorite SyX album is still The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, by a mile, I've yet to find a SyX album where all songs stick to me the way TDWOT did.

"V" is good, but rather disappointing, and "The Odyssey" is more disappointing than "V", BUT, "Awakenings", "Accolade II" and "The Odyssey" are right up there in my top 10 fav. SyX songs. It would've been great to listen to more of this than stuff like "King Of Terrors" or "Wicked", Symphony X is amazing at many things, but I think it's time for them to move on. People keep saying how this album is such a departure from their previus work because it's more heavy, but for me it's the total opposite.

SyX has always been heavy, this time they just over did it. There's no novelty in that... now, tracks like "The Odyssey" is something more fresh by the guys, and it's sad they didn't focused more on that for this album, because it could've easily been my all time SyX fave. But i guess you just cant please everybody...

Now I hope that for their next album they progress a little... that's partially one of the reasons I didn't liked this album as much as others... I've heard SyX doing stuff like this since they started and everytime they come up with a new album I cross my fingers hoping they change and try doing more experimental stuff, so with each release I get more disappointed...

PEACE...

Originally posted by SymphonyOfDreams

SyX has always been heavy, this time they just over did it. There's no novelty in that... now, tracks like "The Odyssey" is something more fresh by the guys, and it's sad they didn't focused more on that for this album, because it could've easily been my all time SyX fave. But i guess you just cant please everybody...
PEACE...

You really feel that "V" was overall a heavy album?

I consider "The Odyssey" to be superior to "V" in that (like MJR has said), the orchestration programming quality was a bit thin on that one and "the Odyssey" is light years ahead; both in production and straight ahead, in your face, raw, throat-ripping fury.

I actually consider "V" the weakest SX record overall(aside from the debut) because of the aforementioned above and that it is the one album severely lacking in neoclassicism(The Odyssey is too; but it makes up for that in other areas; namely artistic ambition and daring[the title track- hello]). And I find this to be a great deal of Symphony X's supreme musical strength and I really hope they don't forsake that path in the future.

Originally posted by SymphonyOfDreams
My favorite SyX album is still The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, by a mile, I've yet to find a SyX album where all songs stick to me the way TDWOT did.

"V" is good, but rather disappointing, and "The Odyssey" is more disappointing than "V", BUT, "Awakenings", "Accolade II" and "The Odyssey" are right up there in my top 10 fav. SyX songs. It would've been great to listen to more of this than stuff like "King Of Terrors" or "Wicked", Symphony X is amazing at many things, but I think it's time for them to move on. People keep saying how this album is such a departure from their previus work because it's more heavy, but for me it's the total opposite.

Now I hope that for their next album they progress a little... that's partially one of the reasons I didn't liked this album as much as others... I've heard SyX doing stuff like this since they started and everytime they come up with a new album I cross my fingers hoping they change and try doing more experimental stuff, so with each release I get more disappointed...

PEACE...

Wow... what a depressing post.

I like Russell's voice better on other albums, too. He went a little heavy on this CD. But, overall, the Cd is awesome!! I won't use it to introduce new fans to the band, though. I will still use V for that. In my opinion, V is a true showcase of what Symphony X does best!!!!!

It is just damn great that Symphony X is back in the metal scene after their previous soft rock release (read V). It's bullshit that Russell sang better in V, because it isn't so. He sounds much better in the Odyssey. A fact, not an opinion.

Well, I don't think you can post your opinions as facts, since they are not. It is my OPINION that Russell sang better in V, which I still consider Symphony X's best release.

I can't believe how many people are complaining about this being too heavy... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO HEAVY! Or maybe I'm just desensitized, coming from a death metal background and all...

To me, the coolest part of Symphony X is Romeo's soloing and crazy riffing on the low strings, but I'm not too keen on the neo-classical stuff, which is probably why my favourite song on The Odyssey so far is The Turning, the song that everyone seems to hate. It blows my mind that anyone could dislike that song... the riffing is freaking awesome, and the big arpeggio part near the end is also very good.

To each his own I guess... but anyone who doesn't like The Turning is crazy! :p

Well, I think it would be boring (for us and for them) if every album they put out sounded exactly the same, so I'm not going to complain. Odyssey is a good album. V may be my favorite SX album but that doesn't mean I want every album to sound exactly like V.