Disappointment

Originally posted by jkohn
Well, I think it would be boring (for us and for them) if every album they put out sounded exactly the same, so I'm not going to complain. Odyssey is a good album. V may be my favorite SX album but that doesn't mean I want every album to sound exactly like V.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. I try to look at it as not being better or worse.. only different. And in that try to find the aspects of it that I like and inspire me.

Originally posted by TrevJ
I can't believe how many people are complaining about this being too heavy... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO HEAVY! Or maybe I'm just desensitized, coming from a death metal background and all...

To me, the coolest part of Symphony X is Romeo's soloing and crazy riffing on the low strings, but I'm not too keen on the neo-classical stuff, which is probably why my favourite song on The Odyssey so far is The Turning, the song that everyone seems to hate. It blows my mind that anyone could dislike that song... the riffing is freaking awesome, and the big arpeggio part near the end is also very good.

To each his own I guess... but anyone who doesn't like The Turning is crazy! :p

On the contrary, there IS such thing as being too heavy. Just listen to all those cookie monster metal extreme speed bands like Nile. They are the worst possible thing ever conceived. They are talented and all, but the shittiness of their music makes Avril Lavigne sound godly.

I DO listen to those kind of bands, and while I think there is better music out there, I also think a lot of those "cookie monster" bands kick all kinds of ass. I can understand why people don't like that kind of music but... damn, are you guys missing out! (In my opinion, that is.)

And the worst things ever conceived are The Hives, The White Stripes, and The Vines. The "singer" for The Vines is one of the most annoying people I have ever seen... that music video they have out makes me want to beat his ass down.

Well to me there's no such thing as too heavy and if people complain that the new album is too heavy well that's their opinion (even though I don't find it too heavy, heavy yes but too heavy? nah:p ) oh and I can't see why people are always bashing death metal vocals, hey if you can listen to Dream Theater (James is a horrible live vocalist and decent in recordings IMO) why can't you listen to a well done death metal growl?:)

Well in the end it's all matter of opinion :cool:

oh and I can't see why people are always bashing death metal vocals, hey if you can listen to Dream Theater (James is a horrible live vocalist and decent in recordings IMO) why can't you listen to a well done death metal growl?
You know, I've tried. I really want to like death metal, because so much of the music is really good. But dammit I just can't make myself like those vocals.

As for Labrie, his voice definitely isn't aging well, but he has done some very good work in the studio.

The only death metal I can tolerate is melodic death metal. Some of the melodies in bands like In Flames (prior to that Reroute To Remain shit), Soilwork, and Arch Enemy are just brilliant. Arch Enemy has a great soloing duo in Mike and Chris Amott as well.

Originally posted by jkohn
You know, I've tried. I really want to like death metal, because so much of the music is really good. But dammit I just can't make myself like those vocals.

As for Labrie, his voice definitely isn't aging well, but he has done some very good work in the studio.

At least I can stand him in studio but live? :puke: If you can't like the vocals well that's no the type of music for you (very few people love the vocals the first time they listen though) :)

BastrdDrmr at least we agree on something :lol: Soilwork kicks ass :headbang:

Originally posted by BastrdDrmr
On the contrary, there IS such thing as being too heavy. Just listen to all those cookie monster metal extreme speed bands like Nile. They are the worst possible thing ever conceived. They are talented and all, but the shittiness of their music makes Avril Lavigne sound godly.

Well this opinion is a weird one. If Nile is too heavy for you, it doesn't mean "They are the worst possible thing ever conceived". If you can't tolerate death metal, you shouldn't tell this kind of thoughts of such bands like Nile. They're great of what they do, but I also rather listen to more melodic stuff. But Morbid Angel still kicks some major ass. On the contrary, there ISN'T such thing as being too heavy:headbang:

mexus, im surprized to see the word "suck" describing any song on this album. You want stuff that sucks, go turn on the radio. But if the word was just used to put them in comparisson with the other tracks on the album, then i can understand. (sort of)

Originally posted by blackstaRR
Well this opinion is a weird one. If Nile is too heavy for you, it doesn't mean "They are the worst possible thing ever conceived". If you can't tolerate death metal, you shouldn't tell this kind of thoughts of such bands like Nile. They're great of what they do, but I also rather listen to more melodic stuff. But Morbid Angel still kicks some major ass. On the contrary, there ISN'T such thing as being too heavy:headbang:

Agreed :D

I guess im not the only one who wasnt blown away by v. I thought the vocals were really weak, and not enough solos, basically it doesnt keep me riveted like DWOT. So far I love The Oddyssey, but Ive only had it for 2 days...

Personally its my favourite SX album, featuring more romeo than before (im sure hes been practising - he sounds even more amazing) and i also think that Allens vocal performance is the best yet. I like the way he changes his voice to suit different songs/sections on this album.

After a while, this album has really stuck on me. Tracks like Awakenings and Accolade II are amazing, not to mention the title track... I'd sitll have to say that V is my favorite album, but this one and TDWOT are sharing the no.2 spot. The main difference is that I'm practically mezmerized by every track in TDWOT, but The Odyssey really does have some weak spots. I must really take back my commenta bout being greatly disappointed. Perhaps a little when listening to some tracks, but not wholeheartedly. :headbang: