Discovering Opeth

Lost_Orchid

\m/-_-\m/
Sep 9, 2005
Philadelphia
This thread has probably been done before but I was too lazy to look through all of the old threads. Anway, I was wondering how all of you found out about Opeth, what was the first cd you heard and got, and which is your favorite cd?
I didn't learn about Opeth until about May of this year...so about 5 months ago. I kept hearing good things about the band and then heard TGC played on Sirius radio in June. I liked what I heard and decided to pick up one of their cds. I went to a local store and the only one they had was Orchid so I got that. I absolutely loved the cd and since then have picked up the rest of their catalogue. I love all of the cds but I have to say that Orchid is still my favorite one.

Read about them alot in Kerrang and rocksound. Saw Blackwater Park at a music shops clearance sale and got it very cheaply I've been hooked since...that was about 2 years ago

One of my friends sent me "The Drapery Falls" "The Moor" and "Hope Leaves." A few months after that I went out and bought Blackwater Park, which would have to be my favorite album of Opeth's.

Old friend of mine had heard them through his older brother. It was 8th grade, he invited me over saying he had to show me this band from Sweden. I heard Bleak and Harvest and was instantly hooked.
I went home and downloaded the rest of Blackwater Park, then a few songs from Still Life, a few songs from My Arms, Your Hearse (this took awhile considering I was still rocking the 56k modem)...and decided I did not need to hear anymore. Went to the store the next day, purchased their entire discography, and rocked out harder than ever before. Ah, good times.

Through my friend, i already had had Morningrise on my computer from a while ago, so i just burned it to cd and soon i had all their albums. I can't choose my favorite

Saw the clip to Windowpane on RAGE late one night, and then downloaded it and the track Deliverance.

I bought Damnation shortly after, but it took a while to get into the heavier stuff.

So my favourite album would have to be either Blackwater Park, or Deliverance.

But my favourite song is still Windowpane.

Heard about them on the internet a couple years ago, downloaded The Night and the Silent Water, was immediately hooked. Then I started downloading more and more songs. The first album I got was Blackwater Park. It's hard to choose a favorite, but I think I'll give the honor to Morningrise.

my brother had the song "To Bid You Farewell" on the computer, I heard it and was instantly hooked. the first cd I bought was either blackwater park, or orchid, cant remember. But "to bid you farewell" is still my favorite song.

On the AOL heavy metal message boards lots of people mentioned Opeth as an awesome metal band, so i got the songs "Hope Leaves" and "Credence" and was like :erk: metal?????

Then I got Bleak and then the rest of BWP and was like "oooohhh ok, so they are metal." However, BWP is not my favorite album now.

I downloaded Forest of October years ago (found it by chance before Napster was shut down) but never gave it a proper listen. When Deliverance was released I saw it in a CD shop and had an extra $20, so I thought I'd give 'em a proper chance and loved it! Best impulse buy I've ever made!

Back in the early days of Napster, while still in my inchoate taste of music, I was busy downloading everything could get my hands on, from electronica to death metal. One day I downloaded a bunch of Iron Maiden and Opeth's cover of "Remember Tomorrow" got mixed in with the basket of goodness. I liked it, downloaded samples of their other albums, and went to the local record store, anxious as Bob Barker groupie to buy whatever CDs were in stock ;)

In year 8, so 4 years ago, I wanted to be coool. So I bought Eminem's "Slim Shady LP". (Funnily enough, this was before Eminem was even all that popular in Australia - I introduced Eminem to all my gay arse mates who are now Gangstas.) Anyhoo, how does this relate to Opeth? Well, I was always Metal at heart, I just wanted to be cool. Anyway, one of those already mentions Gangstas had a copy of a metal compilation, 'Route 666' and he wanted to swap for Eminem. I happily obliged (this compilation also introduced me to The Haunted and a few other bands). 'Benighted' was on track on the compilation, and I fell in love with the soift side of Opeth. Then a didn't really hear any more of them, until i heard 'Deliverance' on the radio 2 years or however long after. I loved it. But somehow, I'm pretty sure I bought Still Life first. I have no idea. Meh. I hate my boss.

I was a Bathory fan from way back and after straying from the metal path for a few years (idiot) was looking to check out some new stuff. Found one of the numerous "best metal albums" lists and on recommendation bought MAYH. I was simply blown away by the combination of power, melody and emotion. Within a few weeks I had all their albums and have been an Opeth nut for the past 3 years. Like everyone else its hard to pick a fave but all of them are simply a level above anything else out there. I would suggest MAYH as a great intro to Opeth's music because it contains elements of their early cold sound as well as progressive influences.

A few years ago I was reading a thread on a message board recomending instromental tracks, on of the recomendations was opeths for absent friends. I downloaded it and thought it was pretty cool but opeth sounded to wussy for me.

A few months later i was talkin to someone on msn who was tellin me how heavy opeth was and i was like riiight. So i thought id try another track so i downloaded the leper affinity. When it kicked in i was like holy fuckin shit. That track got me hooked. I downloaded a few more tracks then brought still life, morningrise and the lamentations dvd. Still life is still my favourite peth album and im a big fan of their earlier style. My first time seeing them live was last month and now im hooked to opeth gigs too, im seeing em again in november.

When "Resurection through carnage" was released I was totaly fascinated. I tried to get more information about the band members so I heard from opeth and downloaded the song "Harvest". I was surprised but also confused, I expected pure f*ckin' Death Metal so I forgot about it... When I look back now, I could beat me for this...:zzz: Today this song is one of my favorites.
Whatever, later a friend showed me "Blackwater Park" and you all know what happened...;)

About five years ago I was reading reviews on chedsey and I happened to stumble upon a review of Still Life. It sounded like a great album, but I didn't immediately go out and buy it the next day. A year later my friend told me he bought Blackwater Park and I was extremely interested in how it sounded. He played me a few tracks, I thought it was cool, but I wasn't totally floored by it. He finally lent it to me about a week later and it was love at first listen. No album in their discography has really affected me like Blackwater Park. I love all of them leading up to BWP, especially the first three albums. As much as I love BWP, those first three albums are just magical. BWP was the culmination of all they had learned up that point, but making it a bit more accessible.

I was searching for music, as I was still to find something I could really connect with. Listening to the whole nu metal stuff, especially korn and slipknot, I read about other bands in my search, one of them being Opeth (another was Nile). In my favourite record store here, I stumbled upon Deliverance (wich was just released) and bought on impulse. I listened to it while studying (as I had exams), and well, I wasn't that impressed (what do you want, I had to get used to metalmusic :)), but I kept on listening. After about hearing it 10 times it suddenly kicked in ... I fell in love.
It took me a year to collect the entire discography up to Deliverance, and I think it's the best way to work your way through it slowly. It took me another year to completely learn about Opeth in all it's ways, always changing my favourite album of them ...
Now I think I can say I am one of their biggest fans in Belgium :) and I don't have one favourite album. They are all genius in their one way.

I went into a CD store with the intention of finding a new band to start listening to. I never imagined myself even ever listening to death metal - I was always a classic rock and alterntive listener. Anyway, I decided to check out the metal section. I saw Blackwater Park and it had a review sticker on it saying that Opeth was the most "Innovative and Inventive band in metal today" I bought BP and was instantly blown away!! That album drastically changed my life. Since then I have explored the entire death metal genre and tried continuously to spread the word about Opeth to all my friends with little success - they're all stuck in $#@ing punk!!!

I was minding my own business and some guy yelled "Hey you... in the yellow shirt... yah you... you suck!". And so I had to defend my honour.

I needed to be inspired to get super pumped, and so I visited my local record shop. The owner's name was Benny. Benny was a smart man. He realised that my fatigue was caused due to the belief that ghosts don't exist. No, ghosts means no God, since God is like a spirit which is kinda like a ghost.

So then he gave me this Cd called My Arms Your Hearse, and he said 'get inspied about ghosts and you will believe in God once again. The second you believe in God, he will be happy and make you win'.

The End.

I kept seeing Blackwater Park advertised in all the metal magazines (Metal Maniacs, Terrorizer...) and seeing all the praise it got. So a few months after the cd was released I went to Best Buy and picked it up. One of the best days of my life.