Dislike for DoDS?

SteveO)))

Oct 22, 2004
Germany
www.myspace.com
I heard that Katatonia dislikes there "Dance of the December Souls" albums. Can any one tell me why this is? I was introduced to Katatonia through "Ghost of the Sun" but after listening to some of there older songs, I consider there older work better.

Hehe, the reason why people are so upset about DoDS is that Black Lodge Records reissued it without the knowledge or approval of the band itself... So it's not the album, it's just that certain release.

No, well, eh, there's that, but then there's the infamous Renkse quote; in one not so old Katatonia interview he said that he considered DoDS to be "about an hour of shit basically." I understand that artists can feel that way about their older work sometimes, but an hour of shit it is not. :p

It totally is an hour of shit. It's some of the crappiest music I've ever heard in my life. They didn't get good until Brave Murder Day in my opinion. I have my copy of Dods signed by Daniel though, which is awesome because he didn't even play on it. He also was very Swedish. Isn't that neat?

-Vince

Bah, DoDS is one of their best albums, the growling is for example much better than any other i've ever heard on record. The only thing I don't like is the lyrics, wich basicly suck. Riffing is cool, drums are cool (yes, I actually like the off-timing, I think it makes the album really chaotic). But then again, I don't quite like VE, it's too hastily done, and the riffing isn't Katatonia at all. My fav. is TD

Hey, I think I just might give it another chance today and put it on. I got the re-issue in the mail yesterday and it says it's remastered. It's weird that the photo on the cover looks directly from the Viva Emptiness stuff. I just noticed the little kid standing next to the grim reaper. The outside digipack is pinkish and inside the cover is grey, exactly like VE. What a rip-off. It definently seems like whoever is trying to cash-in on the recent success of that album. Well, they got my $15.50

So, off to listen to the Velvet Thorns of Myztplyx and drown in the dusk of October's dark Christmas.

-Vince

It's also my least favorite, but "Without God" is fucking brilliant. The clean section is pure bliss. I think "DODS"'s main weakness is that is a bit musically under-developed; but in a way, that is also why I like it, because of the unaldulterated, primitve, almost naive display of raw emotion. You can also hear the beginnings of Anders' excellent sense of melody.

I was introduced to Katatonia through Dance of December Souls. Brave Murder Day was already released by that time, but DoDS was a buck cheaper. :D

At first, I thought it sounded underdeveloped and childish, and the lyrics struck me as immature black metallish. But after listening to Brave Murder Day, I gave it another chance, and the haunting melodies and the hateful mood of hte record really grew on me. I like it now, although it doesn't stand a chance against Discouraged Ones and Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

Father Belial said:
Which of their albums do you think is the best?

Huh, me?

Discouraged Ones, as it contains just the amount of emotion that I think is appropriate for the music that Katatonia creates. When I listen to it, I get the sensation that I am perfectly capable of really feeling the emotions that they are trying to get across. They have succeeded in this more recently as well (I am Nothing, Evidence), but they have also failed on occasion (For My Demons).