Dissection - Reinkaos

I really enjoyed the songs Starless Aeon and God Of Forbidden Light. Maybe they sound like alot of Melodic Death.. but they're more serious about themselves and what they believe in. Listen to the songs, read the lyrics, you'll know.

Stormwatch said:
To me new Dissection sounds like new Arch Enemy, but with good songs.

reminds me more of "clayman" era in flames at times in how the riffs got stripped down to the bear essentials instead of a more layered guitar approach. while i loved the multiple guitar orchestrations that ran rampant back in the day with the melo-death/black bands i think it was inevitible that they would cut down on the guitar parts. it pretty well happened with all the swedish bands and its not like they all got together and decided to simplify things in order to appeal to the mainstream. it was just a natural evolution i think as i see most groups go from technical stuff earlier on to a more stripped down style which actually gives some songs a clearer identity and hence more memorable imo. to many notes crammed into a riff like in some death metal can sound both cool and cluttered all at the same time. some people are just way to against the less is more approach and i just can't see why. sometimes showmanship needs to take a backseat to songwriting but if you can have both, well........

Some people just want to appear like they loved bands "Back in the day, before they were cool", which is why so many people like to talk shit about new Opeth and Dissection stuff.
THat said, I liked Opeth before they went all keyboardy and gay on Ghost Reveries, man they were a REAL band before that shit.....

Stormwatch said:
Some people just want to appear like they loved bands "Back in the day, before they were cool", which is why so many people like to talk shit about new Opeth and Dissection stuff.
THat said, I liked Opeth before they went all keyboardy and gay on Ghost Reveries, man they were a REAL band before that shit.....
I disagree

Dissection: after hearing Mahi Kali or whatever, nobody really expected Jon to makes stuff like his old albums, but the this album is just very well polished Melodic Death album, but anybody that doesn't like the choppy melodeath riffs wont like it...(most people that listen to older Dissection).

Opeth: I think they guys just get all the people who are immediatly coming into metal and they get worshiped because they actually have talent and can write songs, but on the other hand, newer Opeth sounds like older Opeth minus the better riffs. It seems like the riffs on newer Opeth have changed, but for the worst... trying to be heavy and failing because that's not what Opeth is about.

I think the comment about how people just want something like Xbands older stuff, is just a cop out for people who actually like shitty metal, newer Opeth, SotS by At the Gates, saying Heartwork>Necroticism, etc.

dont understand why so many people bag on SoTS so much; to me it has better vocals and more focused memorable songwriting. you often hear people bitch about bands who totally wank off when it comes to guitar solos but i think the same could be said about riffs in many bands earlier careers. crazy riffs filled with a thousand notes/time changes/variations can be great but i think it becomes overkill when used in every song. the style kinda blends everything together. theres quite a few albums that i enjoy but theres so much happening in every song that i find it hard to pick out favorites since every song sounds so similar in style. a lot of people say that songs on new albums from bands like in flames/soilwork/etc sound the same but i really feel the same about old school death and black metal...except i can actually remember an in flames/soilwork song after only one listen.

^ nub... there is so much more going on in the old school death metal gengre, that one listen is hardly enough to comprehend all of their ideas/thoughts...

swizzlenuts said:
^ nub... there is so much more going on in the old school death metal gengre, that one listen is hardly enough to comprehend all of their ideas/thoughts...

...which is why i do go for multiple listens. the old school sound is something that is a "grower" for me; takes a while for everything to sit in but at times i still need a more defined sound from one song to the next. some bands use the tremolo picked riffs and other cliches to death and it kinda kills the effect when done in nearly song. of course overuse of cliches isn't just limited to death though...

Hey you are right, it's so cliche and formulaic... fuck... I listen to the wrong type of music. :rolleyes:

swizzlenuts said:
Hey you are right, it's so cliche and formulaic... fuck... I listen to the wrong type of music. :rolleyes:

well metals still got more ideas left in the tank than most genres i think but i think the wells been slowly drying up for years. of course if a song kicks ass then i doubt that anyone will care if its completely original or not. and being formulaic isn t always a bad thing even if it causes predictability. a free wheeling structure in the wrong hands can give the impression of a lack of direction. returning to a previous riff or idea can help give a song a stronger identity and make it more memorable imo but i do hate the constantly repeated chorus that shows up in radio tunes and has been rearing its ugly head in more and more metal songs.

dissection has always been a terribly overrated band and i hope jon what's his name dies asap so i don't have to hear about his worthless life and shitty music anymore

swizzlenuts said:
I disagree

Dissection: after hearing Mahi Kali or whatever, nobody really expected Jon to makes stuff like his old albums, but the this album is just very well polished Melodic Death album, but anybody that doesn't like the choppy melodeath riffs wont like it...(most people that listen to older Dissection).

Opeth: I think they guys just get all the people who are immediatly coming into metal and they get worshiped because they actually have talent and can write songs, but on the other hand, newer Opeth sounds like older Opeth minus the better riffs. It seems like the riffs on newer Opeth have changed, but for the worst... trying to be heavy and failing because that's not what Opeth is about.

I think the comment about how people just want something like Xbands older stuff, is just a cop out for people who actually like shitty metal, newer Opeth, SotS by At the Gates, saying Heartwork>Necroticism, etc.

Of course, no one could prefer Heartwork because they like the album better could they - that would just be wrong because music isn't subjective is it? :rolleyes:

Stormwatch said:
I really expected this to be a pile of crap, as everyone in the world said "Maha Kali" was shit.
But I'm listening to the album now and I think it's excellent. It's nothing like the previous two albums, it's more like Arch Enemy or something, but miles better than anyone like that.
I like it and I'm surprised no one has started a thread about it yet!
I got it and listened to it. Though it doesn't sound exactly like the Dissection we all know from before Jon's lock-up, I must say that it's definitely him. The only thing that I was not too crazy about initially were all the KillswitchEngage-isms going on throughout the music. I guess I was expecting another Night's Blood or something, but this new shit fucking grew on me! The "hail lucifer...father of..." deal is a bit cheesy, but there's some badass riffage going on all over that fucking thing! I guess he's trying to relate to some younger audiences with this "updated" sound, which I guess isn't bad, because he's kicking the SHIT out of anything by Killswitch, InFlames, Soilwork, or Arch Enemy. He's still every bit of the bad motherfucker he ever was!