Division new album discussion...

eaeolian

Division Guitarist
Feb 11, 2002
Woodbridge, VA
www.division-usa.com
...is what we'll be doing here. The band will be posting thoughts in this thread, and when I'm not pulling my hair out (since I'm producer, engineer, and, uh, lion-tamer on this project) I'll be blogging about the process, and probably popping in here with some comments, too.

Im looking forward to the new one.... If the new tunes yall played at the Therion show are any indication of the overall quality of the new album then it's gonna kick ass!!!!

well we got through Gemini and The Collector tonight. Some really weird unforeseen technical glitches came up in the pre-recorded guitar / click parts in both Gemini and Simone. For Gem, it was easy - mute the guitars and play along to the scratch bass / click track, which was correct enough. Simone was beyond recognition though so we're going to hit it on a different session. I'd guess this Thursday, or next Sunday. Either way, tonight was a success. I think we're getting a good system down where we'll be able to knock out the drum tracks pretty quickly! We took some video too... Not sure what we'll do with it. It's just drumming - you can't hear what I'm hearing through the headphones. I'm curious to see if the camcorder's mic distorted. Even so, maybe i'll get some snippets up on youtube over the next week or so anyway. Then later overdub to video with the recorded audio from our sessions.

Stay tuned!

James

i'll just copy this straight from the myspace blahg i posted..... for all those non-myspacers (all 2 of you :lol:)

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=8607304

For those that don't know, Division has decided to record this record ourselves. Between Mike and myself, we have enough recording gear to move forward with the plan. Mike's engineering and producing this beast... and so far, he hasn't killed me yet. I have to admit, however, I'm currently near death b/c of the marathon hard-hitting session from this past Thursday.

Let me explain - We are a last-minute addition to the Paradise Lost show at Jaxx Nightclub (www.jaxxroxx.com) this comeing Sunday (Nov 18). And I mean last minute! After Thursdays 2.5 hour recording session, we then crammed in a furious run-through of our PL setlist. I must thank Ronchy for bringing me that second cup os Starbucks to get me through the night. You should have seen the last song of the rehearsal. We finished with 2 functioning band members - Mike and Nick. Both Ron and Dave broke strings, and my right half was a full cramp. That must have been a sign. Today, I moved about 1,500 lbs of aluminum fixtures where I work (aerospace manufacturing)..... Tomorrow's diet? Advil.

Anyway, enough of my whining. Here's the update. So far we've had two sessions for active drum tracking - totalling about 4.5 hours. By "active", i'm excluding some time spent trying to rework some pre-recorded parts, as I'll soon explain.

First of all, I'm only going to use our working titles for now. Nick can reveal the real-deal...... The first session had a couple technical glitches in our pre-recorded scratch tracks. One was easy to negotiate around and we were able to bash out a few complete takes of "Fish". However, "Simone's Something err Other" had some technical issues with the pre-recorded parts that we couldn't surpass. Mike tried (he brought his guitar just in case he'd have to re-record any scratch tracks); however, time and energy got the best of us as the clock clicked near 10pm on the Sunday night...... so...... some lessons learned... and we'll catch "Simone..." at a later session!

Now we've gotten to the point where when we get the sessions rolling, we're pretty much recording nonstop. I've got six songs done already, which is a pretty good pace for me. We're right on schedule... maybe even ahead. My deadline is the arrival of my newborn daughter - expected just past mid-December. The holidays always serve as a momentum killer anyway. Regardless, i'm going to be a little busy when Satan's Little Helper gets here.

let's play a game - I'm going to post the songs I've gotten through already. But just a few letters. Hyphens indicate "spaces". Reply to this lovely blahg with your guesses at the famous titties for 800.

1) "_ _ _ -- _ _ L_ _ C_ _ _ "
Two words. Song formally known as "tri tone", aka "holy-shit-what-were-we-thinking?"

2) "_ _ M _ N _"
One word. FKA "fish"

3) "_ U _ _"
One word. FKA "song 1"

4) "_ L O _ _ _ _ _ _ I N G"
One word. FKA "song 2"

5) "S _ O _ T -- _ _ _ _ _ _ I O N -- S _ _ N --- _ _ _ _ _ T Y"
Four words. FKA "mung"

6) "_ _ _ L _ _ _ E"
One words. FKA "march"

I have to run. The dungeons are calling.

OHHHHHHHH!!!!!

The German.

With the cancellation of our March 1st show, expect the band members to be focused on one thing and one thing only...Control Issues! Keep yer eyes on the MySpace page and main page for info. thanks and happy new year!

And it was awesome. 3 tracks in the "can" with a bass tone that resembles hitting the strings with a pick axe! \m/ More on Sunday.

OT: If you're free tonight, go see our friends in Encompass play their last show at RNR in DC.