New Album Discussion

I try to keep my personal taste aside when discussing the overall quality of an album. I go by musical skill,composition,and longevity mainly. I think AYDY lacks longevity and compostion primarily.

Aydy has alot of catchy moments but it doesn't stay with you. An album like Sweet Vengeance by Nightrage is an album with amazing longevity

It is indeed juvenile,which questions the overall quality of the songs and albums composition.

I actually have that album and had to start playing it now after long time. It's cool. Nice feeling thorought. If only the vocals were more death.

If you take a look at songs like Bastards of Bodom, Trashed Lost and Strungout, We're Not Gonna Fall you'll notice a lot of melody there... The melodies on the Blooddrunk album seem to take the back seat and aren't that memorable to me.
I completely disagree with you on heaviness, Are You Dead Yet? really isn't that heavy at all to my ears. Laiho even said (in an attempt to advertise Blooddrunk) that Blooddrunk was a lot heavier than any of the other albums. Catchiness, however, is a very important element in music and I will agree, Are You Dead Yet? is catchy... That's a very good thing.
As for solos, most of the Blooddrunk ones don't stick out to me, I don't care who's playing them, they're boring!
Finally, speed isn't something I look for in music, if it's fast and sounds good then that's great but "fast = good" is complete fallacy in my opinion. My favorite song on the Blooddrunk album is Banned From Heaven, the speed shouldn't matter as long as it sounds good. Playing fast for the sake of playing fast = fail in my opinion.
I really hope the new album goes in a better direction, something like Follow The Reaper or Hatebreeder would be awesome. However, I very much doubt I'm going to get my wish.

I completly agree that Bastards of Bodom, Trashed Lost and Strungout, and We're Not Gonna Fall are extremly melodic. And those songs are also my favorites from the album. But they are the exceptions to the album. Many verses are done over simple chug riffs. And that is what i refer to as heaviness. Maybe i should of rephrased it into slow boring chug riffs, sorry for being misleading.

I dont agree that catchiness is important in all music. Bands do not need to be catchy in Metal to be be great. Metal bands are great because of complexity and musical composition. You dont have to be catchy to be memorable.

I dont think faster = better. I think controlled speed is better than a slower pace. Theres a difference between Burzum speed and COB speed. BD brought a faster pace back into COB's mix that was lost since HCDR. And Bodom was founded on speed. Banned from Heaven is the ballad of the album, of course its slower.

AYDY slower pace didn't fit Alexi's guitar style. I dont completly hate the album. But i just feel it is their worst. I love the fact it was experimental,and it aloud the band to explore new areas. But i just couldn't get behid the slower pace.

It's fucking THEIR, not THERE.
Oh and a comma should be followed by a space. Fuuuuuuck.

Anyway, I think the next album is going to be shit. Alexi's vocals keep getting worse, their guitar tone keeps getting worse and the keys also keeps getting worse.

Sorry Mr.(Insert highschool english teachers name). I forgot.

Alexi's vocals were never good to begin with. The keys haven't really improved since AYDY,but they at least they havent gotten worse. COB will keep (keeps?) evolving,going into uncharted waters,and refining their sound. How it will come out?, its anyone (anyones?) quess.

I actually have that album and had to start playing it now after long time. It's cool. Nice feeling thorought. If only the vocals were more death.

Its one of the best Metal albums from this decade, thats for sure. Great guitar tone, perfect solos , good structures, amazing acoustic work, unpredictable bridges, and it ends with the best album closing instrumental i've ever heard. "The Howls of the Wolves".

I thought the vocals fit pretty well with the music. Tomas Lindberg is know for his growling depth. And he used a slightly higher vocal tone,to blend with the melody throughout the album. On the follow up to "Sweet Vengeance", "Decent into Chaos", Lindberg is more agressive,as well as the music.

:lol: Just save yourself trouble and look forward to Borknagar's new album coming on February 22nd, 2010... every other album by my favourite bands that has come out in the last 2 years has let me down. Insomnium, Sonata Arctica, Behemoth, Megadeth, etc...

You don't like ENDGAME wtf is wrong with you? :lol:

I heard someone say alexi plays too chromatically though.

So he should grow a beard and have a grin on his face while fapping the guitar? Or what do you mean? I totally support creativity when playing on gigs, like lying on a car when playing the first riff of Tie My Rope.. rather than just standing there and playing because people want to see your ass. Chromatical is a synonyme to colourful so I don't understand if you mean his habit or some theory stuff.