Thoughts on the new album?

RRF appeals to me. I can't say it tops their older stuff, but it has a lot of fresh ideas and seems to flow well with my love for metalcore/VK stuff. Shovel Knockout is probably my favorite.

The other one is that some riffs float around 1-2 chords, so the song goes nowhere harmonically for the duration of the riff. An appearance of such riff kills any flow in a song.

That kind of thing actually really appeals to me so long as the riff is followed up or surrounded by harmonically dynamic riffs. Don't get me wrong - my musical taste is very very melodically-oriented, but sometimes I think throwing in unmelodic/unharmonic (that's not even a word) riffs makes the song sound even better and more dynamic, if that makes any sense. The inclusion of moving chord progression riffs and 1-2 chord riffs in the same context is a pretty tasty thing IMO.

RRF appeals to me. I can't say it tops their older stuff, but it has a lot of fresh ideas and seems to flow well with my love for metalcore/VK stuff.

That's probably why, I can't stand most of that stuff, and don't like to hear it in CoB songs. VK, at least the stuff I've listened to and liked, is usually a lot more melodic than that.

That kind of thing actually really appeals to me so long as the riff is followed up or surrounded by harmonically dynamic riffs. Don't get me wrong - my musical taste is very very melodically-oriented, but sometimes I think throwing in unmelodic/unharmonic (that's not even a word) riffs makes the song sound even better and more dynamic, if that makes any sense. The inclusion of moving chord progression riffs and 1-2 chord riffs in the same context is a pretty tasty thing IMO.

It's not so much harmonic/disharmonic as dynamic/static. One can progress through traditional harmony (neoclassical) or romantic/modern (dis-)harmony (e.g. prog). I guess I don't have so much of a problem with the more static riffs themselves, as with the fact that they're often used as neutral bridges between other riffs. Some songs on RRF just feel like a collection of riffs rather than a uniform idea...

Some songs on RRF just feel like a collection of riffs rather than a uniform idea...

Agreed. HCDR pulled off that style of song structuring a lot better (felt more connected yet still disjointed enough to sound tasty). RRF's seems rather forced at times. And if it was done better I'd probably have a greater emotional attachment to it. At the least, this album makes me wonder what their next one will be like. I like the direction, but execution was subpar at times.

Some good stuff there I agree with, and some lines I don't. Someone stated the stuff like NMF chorus and SKO melody you can't find in old COB. Check out songs like Warheart, Hatebreeder, Bed Of Razors from the top of my mind, you have nearly identical melodies to the one in SKO; I instantly felt that's a melody they forgot to write for Hatebreeder. As for the NMF chorus... man check out the song Follow the Reaper, need I say more. Like said, I don't know if this statement was based on some musical theory, if your point was they're using different scales or time signatures or whatever... I just listen to the feeling and think that's what they did in the past.

I kinda agree about the liking the blue and green sound. For me thrashy is always yellow or red. They don't pick the color of each individual album artwork for nothing...

Posted by Necroraven: "It's always fun to break an album down to small parts and analyze, but in the end it all boils down to one thing: does it sound good, or does it not? After all, music is art, not maths."

It seems to me a lot of the people who like to top the newer Bodom view their music by maths and not art/emotion. I hope to listen to an album all the way thru without getting distracted by a loss of atmosphere and a particularly offensive section in the music. The pre-chorus in Not My Funeral is like dog barking and punk mixed, like so many other sections on the album that just make me mute it. And about that pre-chorus: is setting a couple pinch harmonics in the air is enough for music/emotion/atmosphere... we're talking about a COB album opener. Maybe for the oriented guitar players it's satisfying. Too often in the newer Bodom, especially RRF, the vocals take all the attention and the musicality suffers, it's like burying the uncreative material under vocals, also what I consider the worst COB vocals. Not to sound harsh and not that anyone should care about my opinion but the only vocal lines I enjoy in RRF are some in SKO, the first half of Roundtrip, the first line in PMS... and that's it. All the rest I find annoying, and while the music is overall not my favourite either it's clear it's not my favourite album, altough it has its own brilliant moments - I do listen to the album a lot, it's nice and crispy, but my personal taste is I'd gladly have them downgrade some of the technicality if that's what it takes to just do more creative, good-sounding music, less thrashiness and lean the balance more to the other side.

Agreed. HCDR pulled off that style of song structuring a lot better (felt more connected yet still disjointed enough to sound tasty). RRF's seems rather forced at times. And if it was done better I'd probably have a greater emotional attachment to it. At the least, this album makes me wonder what their next one will be like. I like the direction, but execution was subpar at times.

That's probably what I meant, more or less. Considering HCDR is my fav. album, I am glad to see an album more similar to it that AYDY or BD, but I'd have to see if this direction "sticks" for the next album. This one I'd spin once in a while, but it'll never be a favorite. As long as CoB doesn't take clues from the annoying new teenage fanboys who think WIWI is the best song in the world, should be fine.

That's probably what I meant, more or less. Considering HCDR is my fav. album, I am glad to see an album more similar to it that AYDY or BD, but I'd have to see if this direction "sticks" for the next album. This one I'd spin once in a while, but it'll never be a favorite. As long as CoB doesn't take clues from the annoying new teenage fanboys who think WIWI is the best song in the world, should be fine.

Funnily enough, CoB played WIWI when I went to see them a few weeks ago (expected of course), and without the lameass vocal effects during the verse the song wasn't totally unbearable. Although it's still a crappy song :lol: Oh, and the intro to that song is still badass and was awesome to see live. Wish it lasted longer than 14 seconds though!

It's never been unbearable, it's just inferior. And worst of all, they're trying to push it too damn hard - they played it as encore right next to HCDR as if it's the same kind of great crowd song. It's not. Didn't stop those fucktards from singing ALL of the lyrics along as if it was the best thing ever. I mean, one's gotta be pretty retarded to read all of CoB's lyrics, like it, and even memorize it :lol:

They also played it right after AYDY. Made me realize how awesome AYDY is. :lol:

I think there's this conflict with the Old VS New Bodom because Alexi wants to experiment different things. Maybe he should've kept Bodom clearly as Bodom with the music and the Lake and theme and other original elements, and have another project where to do different stuff instead of turning the whole thing to this Hate Crew melodic thrash about alcohol that's "still Bodom but heavily evolving"... it would not have been as beneficial financially (because one band takes all his time) but you get the point. That's what the artist of Hypocrisy did when he wanted to also do different music so he created Pain. Now Alexi writes songs like Was It Worth It and gets shit poured down the neck by guys who wanted to hear another Kissing the Shadows or at least another Are You Dead Yet :p

I think old vs new is kinda bullshit. Bodom was never a concept band with a consistent style. The band's trying different stuff and there's a clear progression from one album to the next so it's not like they suddenly decided to change. Finally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the style itself (worked perfectly fine on HCDR), just the recent drop in quality.

Just listend to some songs from RRF and can admit that some parts is not that bad. But the album sucks ov-all.

Next album= no expectations at all. Over and out.

*fuck I hate writing in de forums on the damn phone.

Listening to NMF and SKO again, I really don't see what the big deal about the SKO verse is. In fact the SKO verse seems more CoB-characteristic to me than the NMF verse does. In the latter, all you're really hearing hearing is some chuggage and not any more chord movement than the SKO verse, if not less :confused:

It's a genious verse and has that magical COB'ish peril awaits vibe to it. That's one of the big secrets why their music is so catchy, moody and interesting, 50% of the time it feels like something big is gonna happen soon. Then they deliver the climax in the form of melodies or blazing riffs. With most other bands you just know it's not gonna go anywhere. I think they should do more harmonic parts and orchestra hits. Definitely for the next album I'd like more moody backgrounds and these things than just lame vocals and riffs.

Listening to NMF and SKO again, I really don't see what the big deal about the SKO verse is. In fact the SKO verse seems more CoB-characteristic to me than the NMF verse does. In the latter, all you're really hearing hearing is some chuggage and not any more chord movement than the SKO verse, if not less

You're right, it's not chuggae at all, that one is a stereotypical melodeath verse that's completely out of CoB style, plus it's something they don't pull off well at all. Alexi's scream over the blastbeat rhythm sounds almost comical.

NMF verse is more traditional CoB style, sounds just like about anything off HCRD.

Then of course SKO gets better, but NMF gets worse.

How 'bout some more WIWI? vocals... w000000000tttttttttttttt

Vocals wasn't the biggest problem with the song tbh.

You're right, it's not chuggae at all, that one is a stereotypical melodeath verse that's completely out of CoB style, plus it's something they don't pull off well at all. Alexi's scream over the blastbeat rhythm sounds almost comical.

I loved the way these samples gave out a dark green vibe from the album/song, sort of more sharp and brutal yet very melodic, while the record gives out a yellow dominant feeling due to the riff-orientation and the way it ended up sounding. I don't know about you but I see music in colours. The mood in the verse fits the song title like genious, it's just these simple notes you can hear better here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, a few things. First off, when I remarked on the playing I was attempting to point out the feeling you can hear in such things as the vibrato and bending. That sharp vibrato in NMF chorus and that over-exaggerated bend in the SKO verse are things unique to RRF. Second, you can't say that the older songs don't have parts you don't like either! But to say that some parts can kill an entire song is a tad ridiculous, imo. Also, I strongly still disagree with the collection of riffs notion. The songs on RRF all have a perfect flow due to the catchy riffs and great hooks.

It's funny, this forum is a bandwagon of hypocrisy! After the album was released most people on this forum were accepting the album and really digging it, but as soon as some people start that nostalgia trip so does everyone else.

Oh, and lastly there was some comment about people who like RRF seem to like its technical aspects more so than how it sounds. That's completely false. It's strange, RRF is the only album (well, almost half its songs) that's presently giving me those goosebumps I felt so long ago when Follow the Reaper was released. I understand nostalgia but I don't understand the hate. I mean, this is a forum where a majority of people enjoy Little Blood Red Riding hood as their favorite song!

That sharp vibrato in NMF chorus.

It's actually a dissonance or whatever the proper term is, here are the first three notes of the chorus:

----------14---------
---------------14----
---------------------
----11---------------
---------------------
---------------------

Try them out with a D-tuned guitar and you see the 14 notes together make a strong vibration, while the first and third note blend together. Sadly I don't know the correct terms. I first thought the vibrato was a whammy bar chirp until I played it.

Second, you can't say that the older songs don't have parts you don't like either!

Each album has its own good and bad sides. I'd just say if I was put in a box for life and could only take one Bodom album with me it would be FTR because of the atmospheric soundworld alone. If a new COB album has a weak part composition wise it just sounds shit because there's no atmosphere.

But to say that some parts can kill an entire song is a tad ridiculous, imo.

I posted yesterday on another thread: I don't even look at a person who says COB sounds gay and is for pussies. Maybe sometimes that description is just, a couple dozen verses and whatnot, but it shouldn't doom their entire discography or any individual song.

Also, I strongly still disagree with the collection of riffs notion. The songs on RRF all have a perfect flow due to the catchy riffs and great hooks.

Well they are collected riffs, just put together with Alexi's vision. I guess it depends on the day whether they gel or not. Sometimes they're probably not meant to feel so 'one' but rather for the song to have different parts, I dunno.

It's funny, this forum is a bandwagon of hypocrisy! After the album was released most people on this forum were accepting the album and really digging it, but as soon as some people start that nostalgia trip so does everyone else.

Everyone should follow their own instincts and not jump on anything. Blooddrunk was also loved at first and celebrated as THE RETURN TO THE PAST just like this album, but later turned to a "big pile of shit." I personally get frustrated with the several interviewers who talk about RRF as "the return to the roots and old-school Bodom", just because ONE guy said it and you do know they all don't know much if anything about the band and just google out previous interviews and ask the same guestions.

I personally was very encouraged by the SKO samples but when the album came out I figured it was just some of the cherries on top. I do listen to the album very much, it has a lot of energetic and masculine material. It manages to sound great at times but at other times quite bad. SKO is the only song that's not annoying a good third of the time.

Oh, and lastly there was some comment about people who like RRF seem to like its technical aspects more so than how it sounds. That's completely false. It's strange, RRF is the only album (well, almost half its songs) that's presently giving me those goosebumps I felt so long ago when Follow the Reaper was released. I understand nostalgia but I don't understand the hate. I mean, this is a forum where a majority of people enjoy Little Blood Red Riding hood as their favorite song!

I think it was me and I meant the natural cycle where bands start with little experience but lots of personality, and end up having lots of experience to contemplate to the worn-out personality, or the experience (with instruments like COB) is a little more important than simply sounding good. Clearly the guitar solos on this album make you think Alexi wants to primarily prove his technical guitar playing skills instead of making the entirity a glued piece of good music.

Children Of Decadence, Hate Me were an indication of things to come with the style of vocals, while Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood I think had still the feeling of FTR especially on that melodic part midway to the song, like an echo from FTR.