Do cd holder things scratch CDs?

Well....I carry my big 200 CD holder whenever I'm in the car. I keep all of my CDs in that, and keep the cases on a shelf in my room. I'm very anal about keeping my CDs safe....I never really thought about the binder doing damage, but it's probably negligible, if any.

use mp3s.

when you buy the cd, just rip it and put it back in the case and don't use it. all of my cds have only been used twice at most. once on the way home and then once when i convert it to mp3.

that way you don't have to worry about scratching it because you can just make another copy for your car or whatever.

it's fun at work when we'll be listening to some cd that i copied and when i get sick of it i can just launch it across the shop and shatter it into a shitload of pieces. this has happened many times and it's always entertaining.

yes, make mp3s but also make CDRs..get a binder and put said cdrs in there for bumping in your car. never put your real collection into binders because you're SOL if your binder gets stolen with your real cds

sincerely,

mr anal about his cd collection

I guess I'd have to do that if I took it somewhere. I really only have it at the house and I take it in the car with me if we're going somewhere.

WNxScythe said:
I have one of those big binder like things with hundreds of plastic inserts, and anyways I was wondering if putting CDs in there instead of in their jewel cases scratches the CDs, however minutely (sp?). Does anyone know of a good cd holder that won't scratch the CDs at all?

Don't do it. They slowly scratch the hell out of cd's. What I'm wondering is, where are the cd cases that used to have the bottoms of the little jewel case holders inside? Those were cool. Don't use the ones with the plastic envelopes.

audiophileguy said:
yes, make mp3s but also make CDRs..get a binder and put said cdrs in there for bumping in your car. never put your real collection into binders because you're SOL if your binder gets stolen with your real cds

sincerely,

mr anal about his cd collection
i burned my collection onto DVD backup discs in *wma format. i carry my collection around in binders, though i seldom ever take -all- the binders anywhere.

E6V6I6L said:
use mp3s.

when you buy the cd, just rip it and put it back in the case and don't use it. all of my cds have only been used twice at most. once on the way home and then once when i convert it to mp3.

that way you don't have to worry about scratching it because you can just make another copy for your car or whatever.

it's fun at work when we'll be listening to some cd that i copied and when i get sick of it i can just launch it across the shop and shatter it into a shitload of pieces. this has happened many times and it's always entertaining.

That's pretty much what I do. I rarely listen to the original cd except at home. I certainly don't use the original cd in my walkman or car stereo.

Erik said:
Only if the CD's have pentagrams on them

Dude. Haha.

Anyway, if you're going to leave them in a binder, try not to carry them around so much in a rough manner. I've had many albums in my first binder that I've never even listened to before turned up scratch from constant travel and flipping through quite roughly. Be very careful with your pages. I'm still stubborn in the leaving of them in their original hard cases, though. I have a feeling I might need to leave suddenly and won't have time to grab all 500 cds from their single hard case. The binder is much more convenient.

under close investigation ;) i've noticed that cd binders/holders do actually scratch cd's to some degree if you carry it in your car all the time. i looked at a disc that was being lame when playing and i noticed tiny little dots all over the disc, so did all the other ones in the binder. i think its from the vibration of the car making the cd's move inside the case and causing damage.

Dark Thane said:
under close investigation ;) i've noticed that cd binders/holders do actually scratch cd's to some degree if you carry it in your car all the time. i looked at a disc that was being lame when playing and i noticed tiny little dots all over the disc, so did all the other ones in the binder. i think its from the vibration of the car making the cd's move inside the case and causing damage.

Or it can be the heat making all those dots. I have those on my albums as well. Sucks.