Do you as a metal listener look down upon other genres of music/their fans?

hatebreeder..check ur pm box, im gonna send u something

Alright.

On topic, I'm tired of being looked down upon as a metal fan. One of the worst insults I can get is "you don't appreciate real music", and these often come from people who worship the mainstream as the only viable source of good music. I don't understand it. When I was a blind mainstream follower, I never looked down on metal.

Alright.

On topic, I'm tired of being looked down upon as a metal fan. One of the worst insults I can get is "you don't appreciate real music", and these often come from people who worship the mainstream as the only viable source of good music. I don't understand it. When I was a blind mainstream follower, I never looked down on metal.

I don't get crappy things said to me, or about me. Maybe it's just the people I have myself around. The worst thing I think I've ever been asked is "how can you like that? I can't even hear what they're saying." He didn't even say it in a condescending matter.

However, I'm sure if I was ever condescended to about liking the metal genre, i'd be pissed too.

(in short: i get your statement)

That's true.
That's sorta true for all things. I was enjoying this good bass part earlier in the car and then it went to some wimpy lyrical inset.
Needless to say, as soon as the intro died, the song went with it.

It's not that I've really been insulted, but everyone I talk to about it is incredibly ignorant. But I've observed that more people would listen to metal were it not for the vocals.

the image and the vocals are both very difficult for people to get past

I always tell people to check out thrash if they want some kickass metal with coherent vocals but people are too lazy to seek out anything that's not on MTV

in any case, I just wish people would stop making wide sweeping, ridiculous generalizations about stuff they witness/experience for 3 seconds (in music and in life)

LOL the reactions I get when I'm blasting behemoth or bloodbath in my car are priceless

nobody has really ever said anything insulting to me about metal though

maybe because you're 300 lbs of muscle?

I think people are too afraid to say anything.

usually only when I'm talking to younger people new to metal with more receptive ears,then I give them some cooler names to check out or ignore them completely.on the other hand other veteran metalheads tell me cooler shit to check out as well

But is that even true, really? You probably like metal for different reasons than most fans of dancefloor/beat type stuff don't you?

I said that to a friend of mine and she got really pissed off at me. It comes across as really arrogant, even when you don't mean it.