Do you as a metal listener look down upon other genres of music/their fans?

. When I was a blind mainstream follower, I never looked down on metal.

Same. I just looked at it as something different, and something that I needed practice to get into. I have diescovered that I can come to like most anything; virtually anything can be an aquired taste to me if I listen to it enough.

What? Different reasons or the same reasons?

That I listen to music for a different reason than she does. I said that because lots of metal show their ideas through their music, atmosphere, and lyrics; I also said I like when things are evil. While most bands she listens to like Radiohead and Coldplay, only really represent things through their lyrics. The only expection is sad love songs, because all of the songs have the same tone. Usually a piano playing and the singer on top of them.

Thats so much crap, metal needs the most, apart from classical styles.

I don't know if this is true, considering all the prog/avant/jazz/ambient stuff out there can be pretty demanding depending on the band. I'd say a more complete knowledge of how to play a guitar is necessary for some of these other styles than for your average metal band. Just a thought though.

I don't know if this is true, considering all the prog/avant/jazz/ambient stuff out there can be pretty demanding depending on the band. I'd say a more complete knowledge of how to play a guitar is necessary for some of these other styles than for your average metal band. Just a thought though.

most ambient music doesnt even use guitar let alone technically demanding guitar so i dunno what thats about

most ambient music doesnt even use guitar let alone technically demanding guitar so i dunno what thats about

A lot of avant-whatever/jazzy psych/prog/krautrock sounds pretty ambient to me, and also uses guitars. I'm not talking about ambient music as a genre here, I'm talking about music that fits a very loose version of the description of ambient music put forth by guys like Eno.

From Wikipedia:
'Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting.' — Brian Eno (Music for Airports liner notes [1], September 1978)

But is that even true, really? You probably like metal for different reasons than most fans of dancefloor/beat type stuff don't you?
What I mean is that I like metal because I enjoy listening to it, just as someone who likes dancefloor music enjoys listening to that. We may like different types of music that add up to our respective genres, but we like the music for the same basic reason.

What I mean is that I like metal because I enjoy listening to it, just as someone who likes dancefloor music enjoys listening to that. We may like different types of music that add up to our respective genres, but we like the music for the same basic reason.

What I meant was more that a lot of people who listen to dancefloor stuff are primarily concerned with how danceable it is more than how it is composed and created. Of course then theres IDM and all that which has a completely different purpose, but that isn't what I'm talking about here. This isn't my area of expertise, I just wanted to point out that people listen to music for a plethora of different reasons.

I think that alot of people just listen to music to listen to something catchy and "feel good" - they don't care enough about music to learn anything about it

interesting analogy would be movies... how many of us here are hardcore movie people?? I'm willing to bet most people here just enjoy movies very casually

well would you want some underground movie buff (who thinks everything you watch is crap) to say you're a moron??

I think that alot of people just listen to music to listen to something catchy and "feel good" - they don't care enough about music to learn anything about it

interesting analogy would be movies... how many of us here are hardcore movie people?? I'm willing to bet most people here just enjoy movies very casually

well would you want some underground movie buff (who thinks everything you watch is crap) to say you're a moron??

You're a fucking idiot. Your movie comparison sucks shit. Anyone with half a clue is discerning with everything they do/watch/listen to/whatever. I really wish you would post less and read/learn more.