Do you as a metal listener look down upon other genres of music/their fans?

For example, I just typed in a lesser known black metal band Anti (who in my opinion easily released the best black metal album of 2006) and aren't even on that site.

The reason they aren't on the site is because the software they use to "fix" artist names changes Anti to Anti-Flag for some retarded reason. There's plenty of hella obscure acts on last.fm, so it's not like that means anything.

The reason they aren't on the site is because the software they use to "fix" artist names changes Anti to Anti-Flag for some retarded reason. There's plenty of hella obscure acts on last.fm, so it's not like that means anything.

hella? take that cali-speak somewhere else, mister.

Behemoth aren't that popular in metal. They are certainly popular in underground metal, though.

In terms of extreme metal, yes they are especially with the release and success of their last two albums. I never said they were nearly as popular as a band like CoB or Opeth but they are a well known and respected band. Ask a metal fan of death/black metal and guaranteed they'll know who Behemoth is. Not to mention they've played on plenty of big tours/shows lately.

I've heard of and heard Behemoth, despite being a mainstream consumer whore CoB fan, and I know ten year olds who listen to JMT. Behemoth are definitely underground, they don't recieve video or radio play, they've never gone Gold, and while a recognizable name to a metal fan that doesn't make them mainstream. International popularity isn't becoming mainstream. Jedi Mind Tricks are one of those groups that everyone has heard of or heard, but have yet to break into the public consciousness as far as airplay or financial success. Why the fuck compare the two's popularity anyway?

Stick to something more interesting, like masturbation.

I've heard of and heard Behemoth, despite being a mainstream consumer whore CoB fan, and I know ten year olds who listen to JMT. Behemoth are definitely underground, they don't recieve video or radio play, they've never gone Gold, and while a recognizable name to a metal fan that doesn't make them mainstream. International popularity isn't becoming mainstream. Jedi Mind Tricks are one of those groups that everyone has heard of or heard, but have yet to break into the public consciousness as far as airplay or financial success. Why the fuck compare the two's popularity anyway?

Stick to something more interesting, like masturbation.

just every single metal fan knows behemoth, seriously

I knew several nu-metal/metalcore idiots who know behemoth

and JMT is not that popular... maybe we live in different areas- I have yet to meet anybody who knows about them (hell I have yet to meet a serious hip hop fan anywhere)

edit: we're getting sidetracked here. The original argument was that hip hop is a commercialized/pop music genre and that's obviously nonsense. Hip Pop is very popular and a bunch of crap created by the corporations - but that's nothing remotely close to hip hop

/argument

I'm from the upper-middle-class predominantly white suburb of Bethesda, Maryland, located in blissfully ignorant Montgomery County. And people have heard of JMT here.

And seriously, gaining international popularity is not becoming mainstream. Becoming mainstream is being fiscally adopted into pop culture- something Behemoth never have been, as opposed to Slayer, CoB, White Zombie, countless other 'controversial' metal bands who without compromising their music have merely become part of everyone's general consciousness. Not necessarily in America either, anywhere in the world.

Behemoth are definitely underground, they don't recieve video or radio play, they've never gone Gold, and while a recognizable name to a metal fan that doesn't make them mainstream. International popularity isn't becoming mainstream.

Behemoth isn't mainstream, but they've definitely moved out of their underground niche and are now one of the more well-known bands in extreme metal. Its an oxymoron to argue that despite this, they are an underground band.

And video or radio play is somewhat relative to where you live. Where I live, absolutely no metal is played on radio and the only TV show that plays at least some metal is Muchloud, in which Behemoth has been on.

In terms of extreme metal, yes they are especially with the release and success of their last two albums. I never said they were nearly as popular as a band like CoB or Opeth but they are a well known and respected band. Ask a metal fan of death/black metal and guaranteed they'll know who Behemoth is. Not to mention they've played on plenty of big tours/shows lately.
Behemoth are probably more well known than Opeth or as well known!

it irritates me when people listen to music cuz it's "cool", well most of the "cool" music is SHIT like mainstream hip-hop and pop and pop/punk rock bands like fallout boy!

it irritates me when people listen to music cuz it's "cool", well most of the "cool" music is SHIT like mainstream hip-hop and pop and pop/punk rock bands like fallout boy!

Apparantly they can't tell the difference between "cool" and "gay"

Most metal is cooler than anything in mainstream, especially that emo shit :headbang:

I'm actually glad such bands exist, and with such lame principles. That way they attract the ignorant and stupid percent of the population.

everything in mainstream is some form of bastardization of a legitimate genre of music

hip pop
pop punk

etc...

there's alot of great rock/hip hop etc... but you would have to look into the underground scene to find it

No. I mean, I listen to metal & hip-hop a lot but I still play other music genres too...I could understand if you don't like it when you give it a chance & it just doesn't get to you, but if you haven't really listened to another type of music (like punk or hip-hop for example) & only heard what was on being played on mainstream radio, that's just being unfair and makes you look ignorant but that's just how I feel about that.