Do you consider Opeth a "true" death metal band?

Yes putting labels on music is necessary but you see, I am doing fine with 10-15 labels max and I don't need arrongant pricks on the interweb telling me that Nile is not death metal because they don't sound like early Entombed and Deicide or that they didn't record in 1990 or that that their sound is too slick or their drummer too technical and fast.

Now, we are in the sub genre era and it tires me ...

Br00tal Death Metal

Melodic Dark Doom

Folk Pagan NEcro Death

blah blah

Give it up already.

And don't forget :

Stay Emo.

If my auntie was to ask me what genre Opeth belongs to, I'd have to reply that they are death metal, only with very lush melodic interludes.

If she was to ask me what genre Metallica is, I'd say that they were mainstream metal. That's right, mainstream metal. It's mostly shit, and then there's Metallica.

I think alot of people consider Opeth a death metal band because thats the easiest genre for them to fit into. If someone who listen to rap or country etc. hears Opeth theres no doubt theyll think Opeth is a death metal band but someone who listens to a wide variety of metal can pick out the small differences and will try to classify it as accuratly as possible. In my opinion genres that get that nit picky are not necessary. Opeth is metal, enough said, lol.

deliverance gets pretty close to what I call death metal, but its still opeth.

cant describe it any other way.:)

Obviously they have elements of death metal, but do you consider them part of the ranks with Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel, and Metallica?
metallica, death metal? lol

anyways. the only similarity between opeth and death metal are mikael's vocals and a few double bass pedal segments (not much blast beating...) the only true label for opeth is progressive metal.
some of the guitar riffs off of orchid and morningrise definitely have a black metal sound, but not enough to warrant being labeled it. the death metal label just seems to come from people who mainly listened to some mainstream thrash stuff like metallica/slayer/etc. or classic rock before discovering opeth.
at least prog death metal isn't as wildly inaccurate as melodic death metal. but whatever, labels don't really mean anything unless you're talking to other huge metalheads. 'death metal' connotes BIG SCARY GROWLS to people unfamiliar with metal (besides thrash metal, why is it so popular?), so i guess the whole "prog death metal" label is successful, hell i guess even just plain death metal is even though i slap my hand on my face any time i hear it

Ha, this many posts in and still no one has caught on that the original post was an attempt at trolling humor (well one did I think but that person isn't telling). Good job.

I´ve always thought of Opeth as the true definition of progmetal. More so than Dream Theater. I´ve never thought of them as death metal,except on larger pieces of Deliverance and some parts on MAYH and Still Life

death metal:

Obituary
Suffocation
Vader
Morbid Angel
Decapitated
Cannibal Corpse
Vital Remains
Deicide
Death (early)
etc

technical death metal:

Nile
Spawn of Possession
Anata
Gorod
Odious Mortem
Necrophagist
etc

progressive death metal is harder to classify but I'd lump these bands in:

Opeth
Edge of Sanity (later)
Cynic
Death (later)

and Metallica is thrash/speed metal, along with Exodus, Slayer, Testament, Megadeth, Forbidden, Kreator, Overkill, etc. nowadays you could throw blackened acts like Children of Bodom and Witchery in there too.

i agree with this guy completly, id say opeth is more on the progressive side than the death metal side, i mean the (growling) vocals are death metal but the music isnt at all, that stuff is almost completly prog, at times it can be pretty death-like or have thrash elements but id say no, they arent death metal, its like saying cradle of filth is black metal, the black metal purists say 100% no, but other people say yes, im just saying based on understnood deathmetal, opeth arent it, but they ARE my favorite band haha

Why is there even so such thing as 'genre'?

Many bands nowadays could fall into several categories, Opeth especially.

It's all just music to me now, with a hint of 'good' or 'bad' depending on the listener.

Heck, by the next album Opeth could be called a Motown band depending on what Mikael fancies dipping into.

I don't expect everyone to feel the same, but the sooner all this genre classification is done away with the better, to me anyway ofcourse.