Do you consider Opeth a "true" death metal band?

I don't consider them "true" death metal. If you listen to Damnation and ask yourself if a straight death metal band would write that, you'll find the answer is "no". That being said, Opeth does have a lot of death metal elements but they're more progressive and expirimental than the average death metal band. I think this makes them better than the average death metal band even though I do like death metal.

Edit to Uber Mega: Yes many bands do combine subgenres, but subgenres are still needed. If every metal band was just listed under "Metal", I'm sure you'd find some Necrophagist fan who would be very dissapointed when they dived into a Blind Guardian CD.

Death metal sucks so Opeth can't be true death metal... 'cause they don't suck.

What is true death metal anyway? Opposite to false death metal?

true deathmetal is a fairly loose term i guess, but its basicly blast beats and all growling, no soft parts at all or stuff like that, listen to deicide and cannibal corpse and you'll see what i mean

i love death metal, its good for what ails ya:kickass:

Why is there even so such thing as 'genre'?

Many bands nowadays could fall into several categories, Opeth especially.

It's all just music to me now, with a hint of 'good' or 'bad' depending on the listener.

Heck, by the next album Opeth could be called a Motown band depending on what Mikael fancies dipping into.

I don't expect everyone to feel the same, but the sooner all this genre classification is done away with the better, to me anyway ofcourse.

I find genres very handy when i talk music with friends.

I find genres very handy when i talk music with friends.

gonna have to agree here, if someone asks will they like something, i can always say well *insert band* is deathmetal(as an example haha), but also technical, gives them an idea of what im talking about

Opeth isn't death metal, the only association they could have with the aforementioned genre is the death vox.

They're Extreme Progressive Metal. Edge of Sanity's Crimson and Crimson II, Death's Human - Symbolic (The Sound of Perseverance was straight Prog) are Prog Death, but Opeth isn't.

The riff styles, various acoustic breaks, etc.

Metal-archives.com is a treasure trove of information.