Do you ever feel like NOTHING goes your way???

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
As some of you may know, I'm a farmer. Farmers rely on weather more than ANY other factor in raising a crop. We've had 1.5 inches of moisture thus far in 2006. We should have had around 8 to get to our average of 17 for the year. Our wheat is pretty much a lost cause (harvest is in June/July), and our corn is just now coming up. Some of the corn won't come up until it rains. The lack of rain has already stunted the corn.

Of course there are a lot of things a farmer can do to preserve moisture in the soil, but at some point it HAS to rain.

This year is on track to be the dryest ever in Western Kansas. How the fuck am I supposed to make money with this kind of shit going on? Some people in my county have had this weather pattern for 6 years now. Luckily in 2004 and 2005 we had good moisture for our corn. Other than that, we've been in a sever drought for 6 years as well.

I realize most of you don't really give a shit, but a drought this severe is basically as bad or worse than most hurricanes. Plus, it goes on MUCH longer.

If you need my address to send me money, just PM me.

Thanks.:cry:

Come on out to California.
dust-bowl-3.jpg

Sucks. Would you ever move back to a place like this, or are you been there / done that?

Reign in Acai said:
I couldn't tolerate being woken up in the middle of the night to the constant pitter patter of crumbs hitting the floor.
He would live in the basement of course

JayKeeley said:
How do you connect to the web, Nate? Are you on 56K modem dial up?

What? I have DSL. Do you think I live in some movie version of a farm. We farm 8,000 acres of crops, and have cattle on 10,000 acres of pasture. This is a business that just happens to be in the middle of nowhere.

Technology is EVERYWHERE now. I spend just as much time doing spreadsheets/accouting/marketing/record-keeping/etc. on the computer as I do in a field or on a tractor or whatever. Most famers that are much bigger than us don't do an ounce of work. They spend all their time managing their hired labor. We just happen to have enough family members to take care of all the labor right now.

This drought is actually helping us expand our operation. Other smaller farmers are just giving up, and then we rent their land.

NADatar said:
Sucks. Would you ever move back to a place like this, or are you been there / done that?

Doubtful. I love running a business like this. Plus I love the solitude of my job.

I still say San Luis Obispo is the best place on Earth, though. There just wasn't a place for me there.

I still say San Luis Obispo is the best place on Earth, though.

Amen, only spent 3 hours in that town and it still stnads out as very memorable and Godly.

also, from my Anthony Robbins cd's I learend that there are only 3 things man cannot change in life ...

- the past
- another person
- the weather :loco:

Nate The Great said:
As some of you may know, I'm a farmer. Farmers rely on weather more than ANY other factor in raising a crop. We've had 1.5 inches of moisture thus far in 2006.

I dunno about the rest of these douche bags I can relate... sorta.

We ran an oyster farm. Totally different requirements, but in the end, nature can bend you over the table just the same.

We got driven into bankruptcy due to: 2 years of poor/non-existent growth, 1 year of almost permanent red tide(from the heat) (plankton bloom thats toxic to humans), half a year with a disease that made them unsellable, other half of that year they were so confused (remnants of the disease) that they thought it was breeding season, where they burn the meat on themselves into reproductive juices. Again, not worth selling.

Fifth year (in a row) we had some hope, until somebody got food poisoning from raw oytsers so the government shut the entire industry in the province down until they could determine if it was something in the oyster and where it came from. Before they lifted the ban on harvesting... my parents had to declare bankruptcy. The only reason we lasted that long, is that my father is a smart man and a genius at handling people and in the end, we just kept getting fucked over.

I feel for ya man. Hope you don't bankrupted by this shit like we did.

Nate The Great said:
I still say San Luis Obispo is the best place on Earth, though.
It's fucking tits, man. Frisco with a small town atmosphere. Awesome.

I would like to live in the middle of nowhere someday and maybe run a farm but... I'm still too into having people/things/whatever around. Maybe when it's time to have a family, I dunno.