Do you think Awake was the last good disc of DT?

Awake: The last good disc??

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • I still like DT

Votes: 29 39.2%

• Total voters
Awake is definately one of their greats but it surely isn't there last one. All their albums are great in their own respective unique ways. Their change was all part of being creative and coming out with different material. no one wants to listen to the same sounding stuff over and over and over again.

IMO, after Awake, the band goes... in a different way. I just enjoy some songs, or even just parts of songs, rather than the entire album.
SFAM, to me is totally overrated. Yes it's good, yes it's catchy... but it's not a genius masterpiece or whatever. Too much wankery (thanks JP and JR :Smug: ), filler songs (through my words, one last time) and average quality material. "Home" is the best song in that disc, IMO.
So, we have different DT in the 3 eras... I don't know, maybe Awake is their last good album to me. I really can't tell now.

Stupid question. SFAM was awesome, as was SDOIT. In fact I enjoy both more than Awake, which is also great. Train of Thought might not be the direction I want the band to go into, but its still a very good DT album.

Knight of the Templar said:
IMO, after Awake, the band goes... in a different way. I just enjoy some songs, or even just parts of songs, rather than the entire album.
SFAM, to me is totally overrated. Yes it's good, yes it's catchy... but it's not a genius masterpiece or whatever. Too much wankery (thanks JP and JR :Smug: ), filler songs (through my words, one last time) and average quality material. "Home" is the best song in that disc, IMO.
So, we have different DT in the 3 eras... I don't know, maybe Awake is their last good album to me. I really can't tell now.
My sentiments entirely :headbang:

Their last really consistent album was Scenes, apart from Dance of Eternity and Beyond This Life I'm not too bothered by the overplaying on it...and even those are far more enjoyable than the pair of limp ballads. And Fatal Tragedy was for a long time my favorite DT song ever, still one of the top five they ever did IMO.

Well... Fatal Tragedy is just... WOW!! :OMG:
That's a good solo, maybe wankery, but really catchy and well structured.
Beyond this life, in the other hand... it's what I call "how to waste a great song". The intro is really great, like "Of Sins and Shadows"... and then it goes too long... a really weird solo... and then some goofy ending. I don't like that song.
The Dance of Eternity... up to Myung's bass solo is good (specially the JR ragtime solo). After that... note after note after note... without getting nowhere.

That's all IMO... so, please, don't flame me... :cool:

Peace!

Awake was the peak for Dream Theater in my opinion, yet Scenes From a Memory is also very good even for them, at least as good as Images and Words. Train of Thought is easily their worst album so far, only good songs are "In the Name of God" and "Stream of Consciousness". "As I Am", "Vacant" are average, and "Endless Sacrifice" is horrible.

Images and Words is the best CD by Dream Theater
A Change of Seasons and The Glass Prison are the best songs by Dream Theater
Scenes from a Memory is incredibly overrated. I didn't think it was that great.

That's my 10 cents.

-Kronikle

Luis said:
These days, ive been listening to Images and Awake...DT USED to be so great. Why they are now a mechanical band?? Where their magic have gone?? I miss old DT

Do you share my thoughts??
Yes, I share your thoughts. "Awake" was the last good Dream Theater album.