Do you think it matters more...

Décadent said:
That's not important. If the label spends $8 per copy of the CD and sells them for $10,

I think the average sorta price 'round here is aprrox. $20-$30, sometimes much higher (imports and the like). BTW, I'm talking AUS dollars, not US (1 AUS dollar is around 70, 75 US cents; 0.60 Euros; 0.4 pounds[?]).

Don't believe me about the prices? Look at this site (has physical stores, including one not far from where I am now):

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music

If you can't be bothered searching for something yourself:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/search/artistid/25498

anonymouswierdo said:
I think the average sorta price 'round here is aprrox. $20-$30, sometimes much higher (imports and the like). BTW, I'm talking AUS dollars, not US (1 AUS dollar is around 70, 75 US cents; 0.60 Euros; 0.4 pounds[?]).

Don't believe me about the prices? Look at this site (has physical stores, including one not far from where I am now):

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music

If you can't be bothered searching for something yourself:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/search/artistid/25498

The dude is from Aus man

and yeh most cds here are like 20-30 bucks

That's retail. I'm talking US dollars because that's what most people here are familiar with, but even the Aussie labels won't charge more than $10 per CD wholesale, at which point the retailers will usually bump that price up to $25-30 Aussie dollars BECAUSE THEY CAN. This is why I don't buy retail if I can avoid it.

Décadent said:
That's retail. I'm talking US dollars because that's what most people here are familiar with, but even the Aussie labels won't charge more than $10 per CD wholesale, at which point the retailers will usually bump that price up to $25-30 Aussie dollars BECAUSE THEY CAN. This is why I don't buy retail if I can avoid it.

So, basicly, the price difference just goes to the shop, not the artist or label.

I would buy CDs, but since, as mentioned, the prices are as they are, I can't afford it ('specially since I have very little money). I have not yet downloaded anything though (I have, however, copied stuff from my brother's computer).

I use ebay for almost all my CD purchases... I figure whoever bought the album originally was supporting the band. It's not my fault if they don't want it anymore.

And it's better than just downloading the music.

anonymouswierdo said:
So, basicly, the price difference just goes to the shop, not the artist or label.

I would buy CDs, but since, as mentioned, the prices are as they are, I can't afford it ('specially since I have very little money). I have not yet downloaded anything though (I have, however, copied stuff from my brother's computer).

It's still the same mate. You illegitimately obtained the recorded material, who you got it off isn't important.

Anyway, for more affordable CD purchases, I highly recommend mailorder distros. I posted a list recently but I can't remember where, so here's another one:

Asphyxiate Recordings (excelent choice of black metal)
GoatowaRex (widest range of black and death metal in Aus)
The Cave (doom metal, mainly)
Apocalyptor Records (currently closed, but great for obscure death and thrash)
Heaven Ablaze Records (Total Holocaust's distributer in Aus... decent range of black metal)

Décadent said:
It's still the same mate. You illegitimately obtained the recorded material, who you got it off isn't important.

Yeah, I know about the legal stuff*, I was just pointing out that I haven't actually bothered to go out and download stuff illegally.

*Mostly, when you pay for software (for example) you're not actually paying for the software, just a licence to use it.

Anyway, I'd better get off to bed very soon.

How about legitimately buying and then downloading songs? I do that because I can't be bothered trawling torrent sites for obscure bands for ages.

Unless it's Metallica. I made a point about downloading the CRAP outta their stuff after the whole Napster debacle.

Oh, just remembered something. If anyone knows any place I couple get hold of Sanctified(? I think that's the name) by Cain's Alibi, I would be grateful (if I can actually get/afford it).

EDIT: You can blame that band for me being here, I had one track and no idea who the band was or anything.

Mr. Tentacle Face said:
How about legitimately buying and then downloading songs? I do that because I can't be bothered trawling torrent sites for obscure bands for ages.

if youre trawling torrent sites for mp3s then you suck at filesharing anyway

piratebay 0 - cops 1

I support downloading (be it from their website, DC++, torrent, wherever) but if I like it I usually buy the album. The internet is good for spreading the music, I really doubt the bands are making less money nowadays.

Well say a store lets people take their merchanise for no money...is that good for anyone? It doesn't help the people manufacturing the products, because they are selling less, with the costs still the same. What is the recourse? Laying off people.

CD prices have stayed pretty much the same for a long time, despite inflation. For as much as one listens to a CD, they are a really great bang for the buck.

Scott

SheisMySin said:
CD prices have stayed pretty much the same for a long time, despite inflation. For as much as one listens to a CD, they are a really great bang for the buck.

That still doesn't give me enough money to be buying albums :( I would prefer to be able to, but, yeah, I can't.

I'd get a job to get ore money, but I can't (well, I could, but it would be difficult to manage for reasons I won't state here and now).

I reall, really should go to bed now.

D/L'ing music is so easy now.
Everyone's doing it.
It doesn't hurt anyone.

Funny how much that resembles doing drugs. :p

People will do what they want, regardless or right or wrong. They always have their own justifications.

Scott

SheisMySin said:
Well say a store lets people take their merchanise for no money...is that good for anyone? It doesn't help the people manufacturing the products, because they are selling less, with the costs still the same. What is the recourse? Laying off people.

Scott

Way off the mark. Prices have not (drastically) suffered from inflation because the cost of manufacturing has plummeted dramatically over the last decade and a half or so, therefore building up quite a nice profit for everyone but the consumers. I wouldn't mind in on that deal, but I'm only part of the entire reason that the music industry is able to exist at all. Unimportant, you know.

>>>Way off the mark. Prices have not (drastically) suffered from inflation because the cost of manufacturing has plummeted dramatically

Umm...the price of a CD isn't just manufacturing, ya know? That's the very least portion of the cost.

For your $15, you're are paying for:

The band's artistic and creative time and effort
The studio and recording fees
Record companies time and effort spend on seeking new bands
Marketing and Promotional fees
Artwork for the CD
Distribution costs

Over the past 20 years, inflation has increased the cost of consumer goods a lot. CD prices have stayed the same (which means price has decreased), while the quality has increased.