Do you think it matters more...

TaylorC said:
I don't mean that they have to have fancy elaborate booklets, smartass. Just that they should have something more than a single piece of paper for it. If they can't afford it, maybe they should hold off on releasing the album until they can build up enough money to make it look better than shit.

The booklet is excess and inessential. The CD and the music contained therein is why people are supposed to buy CDs.

Well part of the allure of a lot of bands IS the coverart.

So it's not just a "cost" it's kinda an investment that will help sell more CD's.

Scott

How many bands do you think can afford that? Would you really buy a CD because it has a nice cover, even if you didn't like the music? How many more CDs will these underground bands sell if they had nicer coverart? Enough to cover expenses? I doubt it.

Easy killer! :)

>>>>How many bands do you think can afford that?

I don't know, but it's clear a lot of bands contract professional designers that do a nice job.

>>>Would you really buy a CD because it has a nice cover

*Raises hand* I've totally bought CD's based on nice covers! :p When I have the money, I'll buy a few Cd's based on listening to them, but them I "treat" myself to buying an unknown metal cd based on the cover. It's sorta like a grab bag - you never know what you're going to get. Sometimes it's a surprise, sometimes it's shit sandwich.

>>>even if you didn't like the music?

Definetely no to that.

>>>How many more CDs will these underground bands sell if they had nicer coverart? Enough to cover expenses? I doubt it.

I don't know - I'm just saying sometimes coverart will completely attract or repel potential listeners. All things being equal - it's better to have a nice looking package to sell if you're a band.

Scott

I agree with SheIsMySin. I am attracted to nice coverart. Not only for CD's, but for books, movies, etc. That's what draws you in. And it's important.

P.S. Hire me.

I prefer LP's actually. You fucks who pay 15+ dollars for CD's are idiots. For one thing, I don't like bands who are on major distros or labels. I buy LP's or CD's straight from the bands or labels I like for around 8 - 10 dollars. I love downloading albums, but nothing beats getting new records in the mail and opening up to find all the posters and huge inserts.

FUCK THE MAJOR MUSIC INDUSTRY!

It's almost never important to the music. It draws you in, but I wouldn't call it important. And you shouldn't be buying random albums anyway.

>>And you shouldn't be buying random albums anyway.

It's an old habit. Now, it's a given we can find samples and shit. Back when I first fell in love with metal, the only exposure to those bands was Headbanger's Ball, and that's it. The only option I had was buying on coverart. Now it does seem rather foolish.

Plus I love art, design myself and stuff...it's just a love for music and art coming together. I can't help but be curious about a CD when the art on the package is exceptional.

Hey Susperia - where's a link to your work?

Scott

>>That must be why you throw away your jewel cases and artwork.

lol.

I only started doing that because I got tired of 500 CD cases taking up space in my room...stacks falling over. Moving it when I changed apts, or bought a condo was brutal too. I just bought those massive 300+ cd books that hold the CD and artwork, and the case goes. I still keep the artwork for some.

When designing something, I would look through it to get ideas. Not copy, but give me some direction on what moods I wanted to acheive and how.

I just don't have time to deal with it anymore.

I also used to listen to every song while reading the lyrics...it got you more into the music. Don't have time for that anymore either. :-(

Scott

The music's quality is much better on CDs. CDs are cool. But I use to dl anyways.

Erik said:
I can get 1000 CD's INCLUDING a 4-page booklet, full colour covers & inlays, print on the CD, and jewel case done for $2000, and keep in mind that's in SWEDEN and Sweden is more expensive than almost every country at almost everything.
Half that in America http://www.dgrinc.com/4-4.html

I got this promo version of a Moribund Cult release and on the insert it lists the wholesale price as 8.50 and the "suggested retail" as 16 :mad:

I buy used cds nowadays unless the band is still making good music

PanzerKunt said:
Decently ripped music sounds exactly the same.

Yea, logically it really should to. But somehow sites has worse q., I dunno why. Not certain one. Almost all. The difference is not that big though.

An actual cd sounds better and more full/loud than mp3s. end

If you just listen to music on an ipod with shitty earphones maybe you will not tell becuase you have no idea what cds sound like anymore because you are infatuated with the stupid things only hearing mp3s most of the time. Mp3s compress,etc..

The Greys said:
An actual cd sounds better and more full/loud than mp3s. end

If you just listen to music on an ipod with shitty earphones maybe you will not tell becuase you have no idea what cds sound like anymore because you are infatuated with the stupid things only hearing mp3s most of the time. Mp3s compress,etc..

It's really not that big of a deal...to me at least.

I like having cover art and the booklet. Plus CDs are fun to buy and open and listen to constantly. I download but buy whenever possible. Thanks!

That's not important. If the label spends $8 per copy of the CD and sells them for $10, that's a pretty tiny profit margin. The label is the one who who made the investment of releasing the album (and promoting it, possibly paying for the recording, and in some cases, touring). If they can take the financial pressure off the band, than they deserve the tiny profits.

Thank fucking god somebody said it!

edit: i didn't even do this intentionally, but i've all but completely stopped downloading full albums in the past few months. i now listen exclusively to the cds i own, and i like it a lot actually.