Do you wear the 'heavy metal' uniform?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
I'm asking this question based on some of the replies in my "Do metal fans share a common mind-frame?" thread.

One poster commented on the fact that some metal fans attempt to be "more underground than thou", or something along those lines.
It's a mindset that appears all to often in metal circles, I feel.

Many metal people attempt to stand so far 'outside of mainstream existence', that they paint themselves into a corner. Basically, they yell at the masses for "following along" like sheep, but they then do the exact same thing, only they follow a particular subculture.

DOES a metal fan have to have long hair? Or have to wear black only?
In my view, whatever ultimately makes you happy & content is the "metal" thing to do. Do you have to wear the T-shirts of your fav bands?

I do not have long hair. In fact, I think it's unbecomming....not attractive on me at all (I tried it out years ago, when I was 15/16 years old). It just doesn't work for me.

And I dress rather conservatively. Most people are SHOCKED when they learn that I adore bands such as Motorhead, Emperor, Judas Priest and My Dying Bride. They simply "expect" all metal fans to be "dirty", or "stuck in the 80s" (these are the comments I hear most).

But I say they miss the point. Simply abandoning one super-cultures norms and taking on the norms of a subculture is the exact same, in my opinion.

Although the 'spirit' of the music lives in me, and in my worldview and ideology (actually, my worldview & ideology are what attracts me to the music, I think), I don't feel the need to throw on the uniform that pidgeonholes me to it.

What are your thoughts, opinions?

a) I don't have long hair anymore (genetics + age) :cry:

b) I have used jeans and sneakers for more time that I can't remember. After highschool (where we used uniform) and all the way up to day I have wear jeans and sneakers. Depending on weather t-shirts or long sleeve shirts (I don't like short-sleeved shirts).
No problem with suit and/or ties + shoes if the situation is required

c) I used to wear chaisn and spikes daily at the beginning of my university days, but not anymore :D . I reserve them for concerts only nowdays.

d) I prefer blue as a color, but I love my black outfit which usually is for Saturday (kind of a tradition). Today I'm wearing jeans, my steeled-toe boots (safety reasons) and a red t-shirt.

So I try to be as little conservative in my clothing as I can, but at the same time I'm an old fart, and therefore old-fashioned :p

And for the bottom line, as SM pointed very well metal is in the heart and soul not in the appearence.

I have long hair because I like it. I wear black because I like it. I have piercings/tattoos because I like them. It has nothing to do with a "uniform". I had this look in the early 80s, and have kept it through all the different trends that have come and gone, and I will continue to keep it as long as I like it. If the day ever comes where I feel like changing my look... I will, end of story.

People that dress/act a certain way because the think that's how they're supposed to be, are posers.

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Mainly because I was lazy, my Halloween costume this wear was the "metal uniform": Motorhead concert tee + black jeans + black wig. Everybody thought I was Jay (as in Jay & Silent Bob).... oh well.

Anyway... outside of a couple of black t-shirts in the rotation, I don't have the "metal uniform" look going. It's about the freakin' music, not the clothes.

Well, I like the bands so I support them by purchasing shirts and other things, albums what have you so yes I wear metal shirts ALL the time. I like to wear jeans and the longer type shorts that are loose on my balls. Call them them baggy or whatever. They don't sag damn it. But besides wearing knee high socks, cotten shorts that went up past my knees and gay shirts when I was a young un' this is how I've always dressed. I have tats because I like them. I keep my head shaved for 2 reasons: I'm in the military and I need to keep it short and it's just cheaper to buy a set of clippers for 7 bucks every 8 months or so instead of of paying to get it cut every week. I might grow my hair out again when I get out of the military but I'll have to wait and see.

I like wearing jeans, I like wearing band t-shirts and I like having tattoos all over my body. I never stopped dressing like this because it's what I feel comfortable in, and I never did it for any other reason than that. People ask me when I'll outgrow it, and I tell them to fuck off. I was never able to grow long hair because my hair is curly and I would likk like Marty Friedman...and since I got out of the Marines, I just kept shaving it once a week...

And the same thing to all the idiots who realized it was cool to listen to metal in 1987 (Caught in a Mosh had every jock in high school listening to metal when the year before, they called us all devil-worshippers for listening to it) or so, and then when I come back on leave from the Marines in 1992 - they're grunge fans and hate metal...they were never true fans in the first place. It's like whatever is popular, the herd rumbles mindlessly on the bandwagon trail...I've been here all along and I don't care if I ever end up being the only person in the world listening to what I listen to and wearing wat I wear...

You don't outgrow something your truly identify with and believe in...

nataservant said:
Well, I like the bands so I support them by purchasing shirts and other things, albums what have you so yes I wear metal shirts ALL the time. I like to wear jeans and the longer type shorts that are loose on my balls. Call them them baggy or whatever. They don't sag damn it. But besides wearing knee high socks, cotten shorts that went up past my knees and gay shirts when I was a young un' this is how I've always dressed. I have tats because I like them. I keep my head shaved for 2 reasons: I'm in the military and I need to keep it short and it's just cheaper to buy a set of clippers for 7 bucks every 8 months or so instead of of paying to get it cut every week. I might grow my hair out again when I get out of the military but I'll have to wait and see.

And my hat is off to you for serving your country...always nice to meet a fellow service member...

Clammy said:
I have long hair because I like it. I wear black because I like it. I have piercings/tattoos because I like them. It has nothing to do with a "uniform". I had this look in the early 80s, and have kept it through all the different trends that have come and gone, and I will continue to keep it as long as I like it. If the day ever comes where I feel like changing my look... I will, end of story.

People that dress/act a certain way because the think that's how they're supposed to be, are posers.

Amen to that :headbang:

nataservant said:
it's just cheaper to buy a set of clippers for 7 bucks every 8 months or so instead of of paying to get it cut every week.
Hah, when I realized my hair was conspiring against me, I started going to have a haircut with a clipper. Then I also discover it was cheaper to buy the machine and do it myself. Now I directly use the shaver (Mach 3) twice a week in the shower, and voila like a cue ball :D

P.S. But I sold my soul gladly to have the chance of long hair again

Clammy said:
Would you agree that many within the metal community fit this description?
I'm not 100% certain anymore, as I really only know few fans of metal these days.

However, whenever I go to shows, I seem to see the following scenarios playing out:

1) if I go to a show of a "new" band (ie: Opeth), the "90s version" of the metal uniform is most prevelant: mostly short hair, black shorts, black boots, black T. Wallet with chain.

2) if I go to a classic metal show (ie: Maiden, Dio), the "classic metal uniform rears it's ugly head: mullet hair style (think of Troy Lucketa of Tesla, circa 1989), skin-tight tapered blue jeans, white high-top sneakers, leather MC jacket (no matter what the temperature outside), also wallet with chain.

My point is that there appear to be many metal fans that claim to stand outside of the norm, and claim to abhor following trends, yet they do so themselves (albeit to a less popular trend, but trend nonetheless).

SoundMaster said:
I'm not 100% certain anymore, as I really only know few fans of metal these days.

However, whenever I go to shows, I seem to see the following scenarios playing out:

1) if I go to a show of a "new" band (ie: Opeth), the "90s version" of the metal uniform is most prevelant: mostly short hair, black shorts, black boots, black T. Wallet with chain.

2) if I go to a classic metal show (ie: Maiden, Dio), the "classic metal uniform rears it's ugly head: mullet hair style (think of Troy Lucketa of Tesla, circa 1989), skin-tight tapered blue jeans, white high-top sneakers, leather MC jacket (no matter what the temperature outside), also wallet with chain.

My point is that there appear to be many metal fans that claim to stand outside of the norm, and claim to abhor following trends, yet they do so themselves (albeit to a less popular trend, but trend nonetheless).
So where in Hell do I fit with this look?

heavy.jpg

I have long hair. I have it because i like it. It's my pride and joy, as a matter of fact, and I always get compliments on it.

Almost all the shirts in my closet are band shirts. Why? Well, i see nothing wrong with advertising your favorite bands and wearing their name with pride.

I just wear t-shirt, blue jeans and tennis shoes, nothing fancy.

One of my most cherished belongings, however, is my denim jacket, with band patches and pins all over it, and the kicker is that it's also signed by Michael Weikath of Helloween, just above my Helloween patch. I love my jacket, and why do i have it? Again, i see nothing wrong with showing the world what bands you like, as long as you really like them. I also have a leather jacket for cooleer weather.

I dress the way i dress strictly for comfort, and because it's the look i like. That's it. If the time comes when ii don't like this look anymore, i will change it, but only when I want to. Fuck being trendy.

i think soundmaster said it best, the most 'metal' way to be is be yourself. i wear everything from chains, to hoodies, t-shirts, tuxedo, whatever the day calls for. whatever i feel like wearing. if anyone says i look metal, its in my expression, my aura, my way of being, not the way i dress.

SoundMaster said:

Ever consider that along with the music, metal fans, of either type 1 or type 2, also share similar fashion tastes?

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Clammy said:
Ever consider that along with the music, metal fans, of either type 1 or type 2, also share similar fashion tastes?
Indeed.
And I'm simply trying to find out why! Why would/should fans of Maiden, for example, look so much alike? what motivates that?

And, before any confusion hits, I'm NOT dissing the 'metal style'. I'm just more interested in human motivation and the dark corners of the human psyche. I'm very interested in the mind. It can help us answer the questions that have faced society for aeons.

I guess it boils down to the desire to understand subcultures. And, like it or not, we're part of one. And that's not necessarily good/bad/whatever. It just is.