Does anybody feel the same about GHOST REVERIES?

Frostangelstorm

Mighty Ravendark
Sep 6, 2005
Blashyrkh
I like to compare Ghost Reveries to a young beautiful lady, that is mysterious and eerie, but after taking all her clothes off looks nice at first, but becomes dull later.

Anyone?

Frostangelstorm said:
I like to compare Ghost Reveries to a young beautiful lady, that is mysterious and eerie, but after taking all her clothes off looks nice at first, but becomes dull later.

Anyone?
i don't need fancy clothes to hide my music in. GR was hot to begin with! :tickled:

GR's good! think of other crappy bands when you listen to it and you'll understand how good it is.

Don't start thinking that this somehow reflects my opinion on Opeth's newest, but don't Metallica fans say the same? "St. Anger is a great record because today's music sucks etc."? I think that in any case giving something props just because it is better compared to something is inferior is a bit juvenile, don't you think?

And Silent Song, it's not the fanciness of the lady's clothes I am talking about. It's the mystery that we don't know what's inside her dress(okay, enough about that, I feel embarrassed).

You know, I am among the people who don't force their opinion to people, but personally I honestly believe that Opeth have lost their mystery, their atmosphere, that was of lesser presence with every consecutive record, if you know what I mean.

Frostangelstorm said:
I honestly believe that Opeth have lost their mystery, their atmosphere, that was of lesser presence with every consecutive record, if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean, I love the old skool Opeth slightly creepy atmospheres but did you really expect it to last?

As long as the changes themselves are interesting enough, I'm in. Some changes suck though, which fortunately isn't the case with particular Ghost Reveries. An album done in the same style as its great predecessor, is nice, but too many in a row is rather useless. Hey, don't turn this into my blabbering topic, I'm a little guy who doesn't care about his opinion respected for his own sake!

It's just too NEW. By the time the new record comes out we'll be well into GR. Ive heard the same things said bout new Dream Theater album and, hey, even said it was rubbish myself =) Still I want to listen to it.

Ghost Reveries is the shit!

No, "she's" not ugly nor is she dull. Even after plenty of plays.

I don't think you appreciate the quality of these songs. Sit at home, forget
about everything, and really listen to the songs without distrubance. Listen
to the playing, the vocals and the lyrics. Try to focus on the beautiful
arrangements, the care for details and listen closely to the soundworld in
every part of every song - and discover the new world. Because that's
what GR really is. A new world. :Spin:

GR is a fantastic album. I've never heard anything like it before.
I'm flabbergasted by the new record! :)

Hm, nah. I think I could be underappreciating it, but I just don't share the enthusiasm. I listen to GR at home in the most melancholic state possible, most suitable for Opeth's usual repertoire, while turning on, say, MAYH in a crowded chaotic place makes me feel like I am... in a forest.

well im still listening to Ghost reveries. I like it, and it hasnt become dull, in fact every album i have (except the cds in my basement that i liked when i was in grade 2) i dont find dull at all. I dunno i guess i just like all the music i have :)

April Etheral said:
it is definatley differant than MAYH thats for sure...i dunno if it could be called Death Metal anymore...
Maybe Death Prog? ^^

I don't think Opeth has ever been just 'Death Metal'.
There's always been a progressive element in their music. Yes. It's Prog Metal or Prog Death Metal.

Ghost Reveries, for me atleast, sounded like shit at first because ever since I had heard The Grand Conjuration, I thought Opeth was trying to be more Commercial.

After listening to it, it grew on me and now I am IN LOVE with it. The Grand Conjuration is one of my Opeth songs of all time now... I regret hating this album.

first off, she's dead.

second off, she isn't mysterious, just sort of tired and cranky and slutty.

and last, none shall take her clothes off except TOILET SNAKE!!!!