does Jealousy risk friendship?

I-TEND-TO-DIE

leave this world behind
May 3, 2008
a good place in germany
well sorry there are so much things in my head but I HAD to start this thread cause of a personal experience but I DON'T want to talk about that here..
do you think if you meet someone who has many talents and you talk to him and see he is more intelligent like you or something that (stupid example I know..) can be that you don't want to have anything to do with him anymore. I mean even if it's just a little difference maybe that he can do 1 thing better than you and you are 'destroyed' of that. Don't get me wrong I just mean 'little' differences!
I think many people just hang out with friends who are at the same 'level' like themselves and even talk about the same things
and are not more than the other one, so that's my opinion.
Iam not sure about the thing just wanted to hear some opinions. :heh:

I think that people do tend to become friends with those who are on their, "level", because they feel equal and not inferior.

Although, there are also other people who are able to remove their ego from a friendship, acknowledge that this friend is better in certain areas than the other person, and are ok with that. These people may also admire this person, and choose to learn from this person in order to make themselves better. For me, this is the healthier approach.

This all comes down to ego, really. If one is able to accept that certain friends are going to be better than you in certain things, then jealousy wouldn't factor into the equation. You can either choose to improve yourself by learning from this friend, or be content with not being as good in that department, or simply not remain friends, which is the weaker and easy way out, in my opinion.

I usually hang around with people who are as smart as-if not smarter than-me. It's beneficial to me because my friends challenge me to do better, and I also appear smarter to others outside my group.

First let me say I try to find merit in all. But Im in agreement with the other two posts that if you want to raise your bar you hang with the best. There will always be some form of competitiveness between close equals and this is generally healthy for both even when it can get sloppy at times. I have also found jelousy to wain with time, speaking for myself I have been humbled and even before always appreaciated and acknowledged when I was out thought or even outdone. Besides jelousy always make one feel stupid dont you think ? and on the flip side being made to feel stupid causes jelousy. So I have found the easiest way out is to say "geeze... Im stupid sometimes" and then try harder.

First let me say I try to find merit in all. But Im in agreement with the other two posts that if you want to raise your bar you hang with the best. There will always be some form of competitiveness between close equals and this is generally healthy for both even when it can get sloppy at times. I have also found jelousy to wain with time, speaking for myself I have been humbled and even before always appreaciated and acknowledged when I was out thought or even outdone. Besides jelousy always make one feel stupid dont you think ? and on the flip side being made to feel stupid causes jelousy. So I have found the easiest way out is to say "geeze... Im stupid sometimes" and then try harder.

yeah that's exactly what I meant with Jealousy, there are different forms of 'jealousy' which can be materialistic and
psycholigical cause someone is doing something better or seems to be more intelligent though it's an Illusion!
I think that we all are made of the same blood and also someone who has more abilities he also have any weakness on the other hand..
It's total bullshit to be jealous of someones abilities.
There must be the only reason that someone is a total dumbass
to be jealous of womebody else's talents so he must have no self-confidence that's the only reason I can think of..

Jealousy is the weak, angry externalisation of 'desire for something' that is more powerfully turned inward as a goal. imho :)

I'd suggest pretty much anything can get in the way of friendship, depending on the friends...

I think it risks it because I guess women seem to feel more threatened by other women. Since women are the ones who bear children I guess they feel that others excelling in their top fields to be a threat to their image as a good mate.

It can, I think it happens more with females though.
yes
always ruins female freindships
guys just don't really care as much
My thoughts exactly.

For example, a lot of women tell me how good looking my brother is, but I'm not intimidated by it because even if they don't think I'm as attractive, I'm still good looking on my own, but I'm a lot better at anything music related than he is.

Alternatively, if you tell a girl that her sister's cute, she will take it personally and probably stop eating.

It is one thing to harbour jealousy; admiration is another thing. The former is destructive and harmful only to one's self, the latter is constructive and beneficial for both parties as the opportunities for learning or just making connections (networking) are boundless.

In my case it has been able to strengthen the friendship. However, if one purposely showed superiority in any aspect simply to show off, that would annoy me. At the flip side, I don't enjoy co as much with idiots that are idiots...but I am mainly indifferent. The people around me all are different in this, and I get along with most.

If anything, jealousy can in some strange way cause respect. Of coarse, this is all my perspective.

EDIT: Sounded VERY contradicting :lol:

I think it risks it because I guess women seem to feel more threatened by other women. Since women are the ones who bear children I guess they feel that others excelling in their top fields to be a threat to their image as a good mate.

this is why jealousy ruins freindships between 2 females more frequently than between 2 males

My thoughts exactly.

For example, a lot of women tell me how good looking my brother is, but I'm not intimidated by it because even if they don't think I'm as attractive, I'm still good looking on my own, but I'm a lot better at anything music related than he is.

Alternatively, if you tell a girl that her sister's cute, she will take it personally and probably stop eating.

yeah
i know guys that do this just to fuck with girls minds