Does Opeth represent for the new generations what Metallica did to the old-school's?

Trivium? First of all, Metallica did real quality music for their time. No need to bash them that much, Trivium is just a copycat of In Flames, and I hope I dont need to add that of lower quality too..

i believe you mean a copycat of metallica, right? the trivium ive heard was some sort of load/black album fusion and then degraded 10 levels into shit territory.

I think so, except Metallica came at a time when metal was blossoming (circa).

These days, many people see metal as a thing of the past.

I agree with Iki however.

i believe you mean a copycat of metallica, right? the trivium ive heard was some sort of load/black album fusion and then degraded 10 levels into shit territory.

Not really, I dont claim they are not influenced by Metallica but In Flames is the dominant factor for me..

Also I remember some guitar magazine covers saying "In Flames, who tought bands like Trivium, Killswitch Engage how to rock, is finally getting the acclaim they deserve." (something like that, which means I am not the only one)

After about 30 years of metal existing, and all the pretty simplistic ideas used up, the only way anyone can really create something totally fresh and new is by being really out there like some avant-garde black metal bands or something, and when they get that far out, there's no way in hell they'd ever be mainstream, so, essentially, we'll never have a metal band as good and creative as Metallica obtain as big of a cult following as they have.

I think it is a bit impossible. Metal music is very divided right now. By the time Metallica and all that Thrash acts started, there were not many genres and metal listeners generally tend to "love" what would come as a natural progression of Heavy Metal. Now, things do not go on like that. Many genres, many different tastes and many controversies between genres and fanbases. Most people will keep Opeth at arm's length just because the band uses acoustic parts much. Simply, for many metalheads, "acoustic passages" are not "metal" at all, no matter how it defines the quality of the music that is composed.

Simply think how it was received when Metallica had put acoustic interludes to Fight Fire With Fire and Fade To Black in 1984. Especially Fade To Black was not well received by some at that era first. But now, it is a concert staple and one of the most beloved 'Tallica songs. On the other hand, Opeth is not a direct band, they play Progressive Metal with longs durations. Their songs are totally unable for mainstream. And the songs are again not for everyone. That is why we have a term "Damnation Opethians". :D Damnation is a complex release, too but it is more direct and accesible compared to normal releases. People tend to see the most accesible first. Again that is why one of the most listened songs of Metallica is Nothing Else Matters, still. It is tooooo overrated.

I also think that we simply are not seem to get a great band like Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden or Priest from now on. These bands were natural successors within the core of metal music. We did not have a "great" band since '80s. If I am wrong, inform me but as far as I can remember, the bands that were showing potential according to so called "critics" are now nowhere of "greatness" in the genre. I remember Paradise Lost, being dubbed as the "new Iron Maiden" and Nick Holmes as "The English Hetfield" but Paradise Lost never grown up like that. They trully deserved to be more "great" in my case but they could not. Some things, maybe the increased globalization and growing MTV impact and changing tastes of bands had fucked the way up for potentially "great" bands. So, will Opeth be "Metallica" of our time? Simply, no. But they are great, that is for sure.

Trivium? First of all, Metallica did real quality music for their time. No need to bash them that much, Trivium is just a copycat of In Flames, and I hope I dont need to add that of lower quality too..

No.
I cant beleive how wrong you are.

Interestingly enough, I don't see any metal bands that are out there today becoming a new Metallica or Black Sabbath. I don't know a single song by Linkin Park, Korn or Slipknot, and these are supposed to be the mainstream metal bands. What is the "Nothing Else Matters" or the "Enter Sandman" for these guys - you know, the song that everyone has heard on the radio, even if unfamiliar with the band. Twenty years from now, the new kids out there will not be running to purchase their back-catalog, the way people do that nowadays with Master of Puppets or Led Zeppelin stuff. Also, I don't see a metal band out there that will be able to fill 100,000 seat venues. The one possible exception may be Tool (and that's pushing it), but they play a different kind of metal, and some may categorize them as "alternative". While they are not high in my personal rankings, for a while, I thought that Dream Theater might be able to do it, since some of their music is what people go for, but I don't think so anymore.

Sorry if this topic is old. My computer's been on for a couple of days with this screen, and I just got back.

You can't say people won't be coming back to listen to these guys in 20 years. You just don't know that. And Korn is a hell of a lot bigger than you seem to think they are. I'm not really a fan, but they're going to be inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame for sure.

Remember back in the early 90's when everyone was saying that rap was a fad and about to die out? Yeah... none of us are fortune tellers.

In short, no.
I'm 37 and got Kill 'Em All and Lighting in '84 or '85.
It's just a totally different world now.
The big wave of popular metal had only just started with big breaks for Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, etc.
Ride the Lightning was just a quantum leap in aggression (in part due to the punk influence).
And the mainstream was just fucking worthless, with new wave and shit.
Nobody really played the kind of aggression on the radio then that you can hear now.
I was only able to hear it on the syndicated "Metal Shop" program one hour a week.

I bought Kill' Em All on Megaforce records on vinyl way back in 83 when I was thirteen. No CD's, no iPods, but I duplicated the album on a cassette recorder and gave is to ten of my freshman high school buddies to listen to it. Metallica was unlike anything of what we were exposed to, Van Halen, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Ozzy, Dio, etc. Nine out of ten people that were into "heavy music" that I played it for HATED it. The complaints were the lack of clarity in the vocals and the pace was too fast. I hear the same complaints about Mike's vocals, but metal has saturated the market, and there never will be another Metallica that was the driving force bringing metal to the forefront of music.

no there never will be another metallica but everyone has what they think might be close to.... me and a friend discussed this last night and we made the comparison of the music scene from the 80's until now at which point the 80s saw hair metal and stuff at the top the 90s saw grunge and then the early 00's saw nu metal and now its metalcore so commercialwise there is always something to take the place of other bands. when i posted a few days ago i didnt even think of trivium who are also fairly related and agree with the LOG pantera thing to but lamb of god have sort of surpassed pantera in some ways at this point i see them more going down the metallica road and eventually putting out nothing but radio friendly tunes before to long they will be the jonas brothers :p

Would you care to explain why?

(btw if you are going to defend Trivium as being a good band, it would be the "I respect you taste" stuff but you would be a cocksucker:rolleyes:)

Its not about weather they are a good band or not is it now fuck face.
Trivium were branded as the new metallica a fair while ago.
If you werent so ingorant you would know that.

I don't care what this thread is about I just picked one to talk in, but right now I feel like The Apostle in Triumph is THE MOST EPIC FUCKING THING EVER MADE I CANT EVEN FATHOM IT