What if Orchids the new album and water shed was the first?

Arch_Gun

New Metal Member
Jan 4, 2009
In the metal community, many new albums of mighty bands (Opeth, Metallica, Megadeth, etc...) were slandered because people think that the new one coudn't sit side by side w/ the bands classic albums. What if the order was reversed if the new album was thier first album and the last one is first (Albums in-between are reversed chronlogically of course). Will Opeth's Water shed be an opeth bench mark? and orchid will be a dissapointment? Just like other bands... Megadeth's United abomination will be the classic one instead of peace sells and killing is my busines? What does everybody think?

Some bands out there loose their touch over time. Some bands don't. Opeth fall into the latter category.

Out of bands that remain great over a long career, some bands stick to a certain sound. Other bands change their sound. Opeth again fall into the latter category.

Some people appreciate bands that bring new surprises over the years. Others prefer bands to stick to what got them interested. Which category are you?

^You're right I think.

On the matter, if Opeth releases an album like orchid or morningrise right now, I just coudlnt imagine my disappointment. So raw, bad tailored musicisanship with bad vocals..
Mikael is evolving certainly in a very good way for me at least.

^You're right I think.

On the matter, if Opeth releases an album like orchid or morningrise right now, I just coudlnt imagine my disappointment. So raw, bad tailored musicisanship with bad vocals..
Mikael is evolving certainly in a very good way for me at least.

I disagree about the vocal quality on Orchid and Morningrise - I enjoy the more black metal style screams, and his clean voice is tragically emotional (thats not to say I prefer it to his more developed voice now) However, musically Opeth would be taking an enormous step backwards if they made orchid now... Their songwriting and maturity has developed massively.

But imagine if a band brought out Watershed as its debut record... in 95. I think the metal world would be going apeshit.

IMO, the most obvious changes/improvements over the early stuff is that they have better solos and have much improved their transitions. Transitions between different parts on the earlier stuff were very raw, which means they didn't match very well and the songs didn't flow as well.

Although I would love to see the next album to be more black metal-ish like Orchid and Morningrise. Watershed to me is more of a great rock record with a few metal songs/parts.

IF orchid came out now and watershed were opeths debut, then Opeth would be one of those bands u mention that decrease in quality after each new cd release.

I disagree about the vocal quality on Orchid and Morningrise - I enjoy the more black metal style screams, and his clean voice is tragically emotional (thats not to say I prefer it to his more developed voice now) However, musically Opeth would be taking an enormous step backwards if they made orchid now... Their songwriting and maturity has developed massively.

But imagine if a band brought out Watershed as its debut record... in 95. I think the metal world would be going apeshit.

WHAT CLEANS?!?!?!?!?!?!

Honestly, his "cleans" are barely whispers, and some even are. I do get your point though but I suspect you might have confused orchid with MAYH/still life. on those records are the emotional, raw cleans that you are talking about. I respect your opinion and all, I personally prefer mikael's growling over his past screams but this is just opinion. His cleans, however, are a completely different story

If Watershed was the first album, our society would have been so fucking much different and we would have progressed in the inversed way, which is impossible and if Watershed was the first album, then our universe wouldn't have existed, because our existence is linear. :rolleyes:

Socially, I believe Watershed would be a huge classic and Orchid a pop-influenced fanboy-based shit. That's not what I think of Watershed right now, though. Just exageration.

It's a good point though..obviously their talent has improved over the years and the transitions are smoother but say the musical style and genres more incorporated in Orchid than Watershed, ie jazziness and bm over folk and brutal death were on the newer release but the composition had better transitions (which seem to be the problem for some) yet retained the raw production (or not) would you prefer it to Watershed? I love Watershed but it would be difficult (unless HA wasn't included).

PS Good 1st post Arch

WHAT CLEANS?!?!?!?!?!?!

Honestly, his "cleans" are barely whispers, and some even are. I do get your point though but I suspect you might have confused orchid with MAYH/still life. on those records are the emotional, raw cleans that you are talking about. I respect your opinion and all, I personally prefer mikael's growling over his past screams but this is just opinion. His cleans, however, are a completely different story

Are you crazy?!?!?! The cleans on Orchid are absolutly amazing!

Let's see...

IF it was so that they would be otherwise identical but;
- Sound quality would be bad on Watershed and good on Orchid, etc.
- Lyric themes would be more blackmetallic on watershed etc.
- etc.

So then;

Watershed

Pretty revolutionary for (almost) blackmetal album.

Ghost Reveries

A great album too, still not really great quality.

D&D

Would be pretty much the same stuff, except with abit not as good production.

BWP

The same album.

Still life

Would be about as good as Deliverance, I mean liked as much by fans.

My arms, your hearse

Almost the same album but with better quality, some slight changes in music, maybe not as much growling.

Morningrise

This fits pretty well on the place of GR, almost same album but with "better" lyrics and ofcourse much better quality.

Orchid

This would be concidered kind of a style change, one album that some people like and others dislike. Actually it would be change that started already with Mr.

Oh, and Watershed would have much more growling, and Orchid much less.
At the side of that, To bid you farevell would be in GR, and possibly Isolation years in Morningrise. Orchid might have a few songs about the death of that girl then.
This speculation is fun. :loco: