Does Opeth represent for the new generations what Metallica did to the old-school's?

There are few REAL metal bands that have gone mainstream. Metalica and BS are two rare examples.

As much as I'd like to see Opeth carry the torch of future generations, I just don't see it happening. Maybe Lamb of God. Tool could, if they would only put out more records. Mastodon has a chance as long as they keep inovating.

In my book, those 4 bands have to best chance to be the "new old school" contenders. Great thread btw!

Its not about weather they are a good band or not is it now fuck face.
Trivium were branded as the new metallica a fair while ago.
If you werent so ingorant you would know that.

naa, you are a cocksucker indeed..

What I said was they were copying In Flames' music, their being labeled as Metallica is entirely different (I just cant image you being that stupid not to distinguish the difference between the two, I will explain if you cant though:erk:)

Read, understand, digest and then answer.

no there never will be another metallica but everyone has what they think might be close to.... me and a friend discussed this last night and we made the comparison of the music scene from the 80's until now at which point the 80s saw hair metal and stuff at the top the 90s saw grunge and then the early 00's saw nu metal and now its metalcore so commercialwise there is always something to take the place of other bands. when i posted a few days ago i didnt even think of trivium who are also fairly related and agree with the LOG pantera thing to but lamb of god have sort of surpassed pantera in some ways at this point i see them more going down the metallica road and eventually putting out nothing but radio friendly tunes before to long they will be the jonas brothers :p

I can also compare the licks, the solos, the acoustic parts, and some of the lyrics to what Metallica did before "...and justice..."
Have I gone too far???

yeah i agree with these, i see your point, myself and silhoutte were talking and we were leaning more towards how many people they influanced and such. opeth aren't that big (although amazing none the less), metallica were huge, and really brought metal to the forefront, much in the same way lamb of god has, and although trivium are shitty :p, they did too

mastodon? surely you must be joking....why not throw korn and slipknot in there just for the hell of it....?

are you retarded?:puke:

Lamb Of God is probably the highest selling metal band that their music can't play on the radio so I would Say they are the Metallica of this generation. They sold a lot for a metal band. I'm not saying they are a breaking genre band like metallica was in 83-84. They'Re like the metallica of the 90's. A Huge band who does arena shows.

Metallica = Lamb Of God (Biggest band of their generation, serious image, Frontman is drunk all the time)
Slayer = Chimaira (kinda the underdog, very popular, the most aggressive popular metal band today)
Megadeth = Shadows Fall (The best musicians of all these bands but in shadow of these)
Anthrax = KSE ( Fun band who like to play, doesn't take themselves too seriously)

Just can't even put that contemporary Metalcore/NWOAHM shits near to the legendary bands like Metallica,Slayer,Megadeth and Anthrax.Lamb Of God's vocalist really sucks.Even Garage Days-era demo-Hetfield vox can kick Blythe.

That's your opinion but those bands are the most popular right now like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax were the most pupular of the genre 25 years ago. I'm not saying they are the best...that's not my point. I just say those bands are the ones that represent the best this generation of metal.

and BTW hetfield voice suck now and Blythe has some of the most powerfull scream right now.

I personally didn't like Blythe's vocals.I know that you were not mentioning that they are the best but only the most popular.They are popular,yes,but they are nowhere close to the quality of Metallica or Slayer or Megadeth.

Ɛnslaved;8166297 said:
Just can't even put that contemporary Metalcore/NWOAHM shits near to the legendary bands like Metallica,Slayer,Megadeth and Anthrax.Lamb Of God's vocalist really sucks.Even Garage Days-era demo-Hetfield vox can kick Blythe.

Its a whole new generation of music today so of course you cant say musically all these bands are the same because thats not true what we are doing here is comparing bands in terms of mainstream success and their influence on the music scene and i totally agree with alot of these bands people are mentioning tool, mastodon, lamb of god, trivium...etc all these bands have potential to become just as successful as metallica was in the old school days

naa, you are a cocksucker indeed..

What I said was they were copying In Flames' music, their being labeled as Metallica is entirely different (I just cant image you being that stupid not to distinguish the difference between the two, I will explain if you cant though:erk:)

Read, understand, digest and then answer.

(I think you were going for imagine, not image:erk:)
Read, Understand, Spellcheck then post.

I thought you would have stayed in the same vein as the original post you refuted, so its understandable that I would have posted what i did.

But onto your pissy little arguement,
Trivium and In flames may sound alike to you,
But i dont see it.

I see alot of metallica, but no in flames.

A, In flames have alot of happy synth crap
B, Trivium have some dashing solo's
C, The whole swedish sound vs American sound.

Its a whole new generation of music today so of course you cant say musically all these bands are the same because thats not true what we are doing here is comparing bands in terms of mainstream success and their influence on the music scene and i totally agree with alot of these bands people are mentioning tool, mastodon, lamb of god, trivium...etc all these bands have potential to become just as successful as metallica was in the old school days

Well said.

+1

That's your opinion but those bands are the most popular right now like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax were the most pupular of the genre 25 years ago. I'm not saying they are the best...that's not my point. I just say those bands are the ones that represent the best this generation of metal.

and BTW hetfield voice suck now and Blythe has some of the most powerfull scream right now.

No, not LIKE Metallica. Lamb of God are somewhat famous, but SO DAMN FAR from what Metaliica have been, too far to be compared. Lamb of God always appeared to me as a "popular american metal band", but nothing more. Metallica always sounded like "one of the biggest metal band". By biggest I mean popular. They somehow represent our actual metal, but metal is now less focalised, and I think they have a lesser importance to most people. If we now talk about being "successful", no doubt about it, they have been, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about them. But can we really compare little shitty bands like Trivium to hugefuckingness of Metallica, Iron Maiden, and etc. !? Naw. I would also add that these band are actually so well recognised that they let no room for another band of that amplitude. Maybe in the 20 next years, though.

This is a great discussion. IMO Opeth would have to break out of the depths of death metal to end up where Metallica is today. It's unlikely mostly cuz of the growly voice thing. Most people just cant get over it. Too bad, cuz Opeth is a phenomenal band.

Lamb of God might, but again, the voice. We don't think it's that bad, but a lot of people just can't take that growl. But who knows, maybe in 15 years a more enlightened population will discover Opeth to be one of the best metal bands ever. Or just plain discover Opeth and become more enlightened.

Or not. Maybe hip hop will take over the world. :puke:

(I think you were going for imagine, not image:erk:)
Read, Understand, Spellcheck then post.

I though you would have stayed in the same vein as the original post you refuted, so its understandable that I would have posted what i did.

But onto your pissy little arguement,
Trivium and In flames may sound alike to you,
But i dont see it.

I see alot of metallica, but no in flames.

A, In flames have alot of happy synth crap
B, Trivium have some dashing solo's
C, The whole swedish sound vs American sound.

oh, how I hate typos..

In Flames didnt use those happy synths back then, and just some dashing solos is not enough to discard the similarity. Look at vocal styles, riffing, song structures etc.. If you still insist that it also looks like Metallica musically then I am out of words.. Perception is not universal after all. New American bands are also heavily influenced by Scandinavian bands, so what?

Onto spellchecking, not I though but I thought (its getting childish)

^ I couldn't agree more. Pure styles of music, like thrash metal in Metallica's case rarely remain interesting after a couple of albums. Opeth has so many influences to take from so they can - and have - remained exiting all the way from the early 90s.